Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!

DeathDog

Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!
I can't get access to certain folders, everything was fine until my HD went
KaPuT, so I installed a new dual 160GB raid system so I won't lose it all
again, the only problem is now that I reloaded Vista Ultimate I can't access
anything, I have turned UAC off, and gave permissions, and turned over
ownership of everything to me, there is nobody else listed as a user in my
system, yet when I use my AutoCad LT 2008 and try to access files, when I
click on the directory I need to get into, it does nothing, I can get into
other ones, but not any of the
ones with little tiny curved arrows in boxes on the lower left. I have access
of them in explorer, but not through LT 2008, HALP !! I need to get back to
work and this is killing me, I am fairly knowledgable in puter stuff, but
Vista is insane... up until now I have liked it, but XP is looking better all
the time...

Dave

Re: Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!
Those folders you can't access are probably junction points, not real
folders. They are used for programs looking for the older XP folder
hierarchy. With Vista, do not use the "My " Documents, etc.
I would think that LT 2008 would be Vista compatible, but perhaps not. I'm
not familiar with the program. Or are those folders holding your data
files?
Vista also doesn't like you storing files in the root directory, or putting
files in the Program Files folder. If a program attempts to put data files
in the Program Files folder, they will get directed to the
"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore" folder under your login account.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"DeathDog" <DeathDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't get access to certain folders, everything was fine until my HD
> went
> KaPuT, so I installed a new dual 160GB raid system so I won't lose it all
> again, the only problem is now that I reloaded Vista Ultimate I can't
> access
> anything, I have turned UAC off, and gave permissions, and turned over
> ownership of everything to me, there is nobody else listed as a user in my
> system, yet when I use my AutoCad LT 2008 and try to access files, when I
> click on the directory I need to get into, it does nothing, I can get into
> other ones, but not any of the
> ones with little tiny curved arrows in boxes on the lower left. I have
> access
> of them in explorer, but not through LT 2008, HALP !! I need to get back
> work and this is killing me, I am fairly knowledgable in puter stuff, but
> Vista is insane... up until now I have liked it, but XP is looking better
> all
> the time...

Jim

Re: Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!
No, these are folders, in Windows explorer I can access them, they are like
application data, cookies, etc, all real folders with files in them, I am
not new to this, but Vista is kicking my butt..
"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
> Those folders you can't access are probably junction points, not real
> folders. They are used for programs looking for the older XP folder
> hierarchy. With Vista, do not use the "My " Documents, etc.
> I would think that LT 2008 would be Vista compatible, but perhaps not.
> I'm not familiar with the program. Or are those folders holding your data
> files?
> Vista also doesn't like you storing files in the root directory, or
> putting files in the Program Files folder. If a program attempts to put
> data files in the Program Files folder, they will get directed to the
> "\AppData\Local\VirtualStore" folder under your login account.
>
> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "DeathDog" <DeathDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I can't get access to certain folders, everything was fine until my HD
>> went
>> KaPuT, so I installed a new dual 160GB raid system so I won't lose it all
>> again, the only problem is now that I reloaded Vista Ultimate I can't
>> access
>> anything, I have turned UAC off, and gave permissions, and turned over
>> ownership of everything to me, there is nobody else listed as a user in
>> my
>> system, yet when I use my AutoCad LT 2008 and try to access files, when I
>> click on the directory I need to get into, it does nothing, I can get
>> into
>> other ones, but not any of the
>> ones with little tiny curved arrows in boxes on the lower left. I have
>> access
>> of them in explorer, but not through LT 2008, HALP !! I need to get back
>> work and this is killing me, I am fairly knowledgable in puter stuff, but
>> Vista is insane... up until now I have liked it, but XP is looking better
>> all
>> the time...

Jim

Re: Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!
test
"Jim" <fooking_noobie@probablyhotmail.com> wrote in message
> No, these are folders, in Windows explorer I can access them, they are
> like application data, cookies, etc, all real folders with files in them,
> I am not new to this, but Vista is kicking my butt..
> "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
>> Those folders you can't access are probably junction points, not real
>> folders. They are used for programs looking for the older XP folder
>> hierarchy. With Vista, do not use the "My " Documents, etc.
>> I would think that LT 2008 would be Vista compatible, but perhaps not.
>> I'm not familiar with the program. Or are those folders holding your
>> data files?
>> Vista also doesn't like you storing files in the root directory, or
>> putting files in the Program Files folder. If a program attempts to put
>> data files in the Program Files folder, they will get directed to the
>> "\AppData\Local\VirtualStore" folder under your login account.
>>
>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>

>> "DeathDog" <DeathDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I can't get access to certain folders, everything was fine until my HD
>>> went
>>> KaPuT, so I installed a new dual 160GB raid system so I won't lose it
>>> all
>>> again, the only problem is now that I reloaded Vista Ultimate I can't
>>> access
>>> anything, I have turned UAC off, and gave permissions, and turned over
>>> ownership of everything to me, there is nobody else listed as a user in
>>> my
>>> system, yet when I use my AutoCad LT 2008 and try to access files, when
>>> click on the directory I need to get into, it does nothing, I can get
>>> into
>>> other ones, but not any of the
>>> ones with little tiny curved arrows in boxes on the lower left. I have
>>> access
>>> of them in explorer, but not through LT 2008, HALP !! I need to get back
>>> work and this is killing me, I am fairly knowledgable in puter stuff,
>>> but
>>> Vista is insane... up until now I have liked it, but XP is looking
>>> better all
>>> the time...

DevilsPGD

Re: Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!
In message <EE90FB90-BD99-4C28-80AA-22AC7D8AB309@microsoft.com> "Jim"
<fooking_noobie@probablyhotmail.com> wrote:

>No, these are folders, in Windows explorer I can access them, they are like
>application data, cookies, etc, all real folders with files in them, I am
>not new to this, but Vista is kicking my butt..

"Application Data" is not a real folder in Vista, it's a junction...

In Vista, "%userprofile%\Application Data" is now known as
"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming"
DeathDog

Re: Folder access through other programs ?? HELP !!
What ever you want to call it, it is where I have to click to access the
data below it in the hierchy, so how does one get to that data through
another program?

In message <169D58C8-C7CF-4EE2-807E-1A90346AA4BC@microsoft.com>
"DeathDog" <fooking_noobie@probablyhotmail.com> wrote:

>What ever you want to call it, it is where I have to click to access the
>data below it in the hierchy, so how does one get to that data through
>another program?

I answered that in my last message too...

In Vista, "%userprofile%\Application Data" is now known as
"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming"

In other words, go to Explorer, type/paste
"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming" into the "current location" textbox at
the top, press enter, and you're good to go.