W#indows XP sp2 re-install

rlp

W#indows XP sp2 re-install
I have an older Dell PC and have re-installed Windows XP on it three times.
The OS seems to work fine each time but it gives me no way to adjust the
resolution. I go into adjust screen resolution and it wont let me adjust
anything, the slide bar, in advanced, and under settings. I can't change
anything even trying to load the software for the monitor fails??? Any help?
Bob F.

Re: W#indows XP sp2 re-install
"rlp" <rlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an older Dell PC and have re-installed Windows XP on it three times.
> The OS seems to work fine each time but it gives me no way to adjust the
> resolution. I go into adjust screen resolution and it wont let me adjust
> anything, the slide bar, in advanced, and under settings. I can't change
> anything even trying to load the software for the monitor fails??? Any
> help?

Please take your message to an appropriate XP group where the readers can be
more helpful.

--
BobF.

Nepatsfan

Re: W#indows XP sp2 re-install
"rlp" <rlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an older Dell PC and have re-installed Windows XP on it three times.
> The OS seems to work fine each time but it gives me no way to adjust the
> resolution. I go into adjust screen resolution and it wont let me adjust
> anything, the slide bar, in advanced, and under settings. I can't change
> anything even trying to load the software for the monitor fails??? Any help?

You need to go to Dell's web site and download the latest drivers for your video
adapter.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen

While you're there, you might want to download the latest drivers for the other
hardware devices on your system.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Bruce Chambers

Re: W#indows XP sp2 re-install
rlp wrote:
> I have an older Dell PC and have re-installed Windows XP on it three times.
> The OS seems to work fine each time but it gives me no way to adjust the
> resolution. I go into adjust screen resolution and it wont let me adjust
> anything, the slide bar, in advanced, and under settings. I can't change
> anything even trying to load the software for the monitor fails??? Any help?

What happens when you install the most recent WinXP-specific video
drivers, as provided by your video adapter's manufacturer's web site?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
rlp

Re: W#indows XP sp2 re-install

> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> "rlp" <rlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an older Dell PC and have re-installed Windows XP on it three times.
>> > The OS seems to work fine each time but it gives me no way to adjust the
>> > resolution. I go into adjust screen resolution and it wont let me adjust
>> > anything, the slide bar, in advanced, and under settings. I can't change
>> > anything even trying to load the software for the monitor fails??? Any
>> > help?

>> You need to go to Dell's web site and download the latest drivers for your
>> video
>> adapter.
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen
>>
>> While you're there, you might want to download the latest drivers for the
>> other
>> hardware devices on your system.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>

>>Thanks alot. I downloaded the new driver on the Dell website and installed it.
>>The resolution changed immediately. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let us know you were able to fix
the problem with your display.

Nepatsfan

rlp

Re: W#indows XP sp2 re-install

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> rlp wrote:
> > I have an older Dell PC and have re-installed Windows XP on it three times.
> > The OS seems to work fine each time but it gives me no way to adjust the
> > resolution. I go into adjust screen resolution and it wont let me adjust
> > anything, the slide bar, in advanced, and under settings. I can't change
> > anything even trying to load the software for the monitor fails??? Any help?

> What happens when you install the most recent WinXP-specific video
> drivers, as provided by your video adapter's manufacturer's web site?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

I just downloaded the driver on my other pc and moved it to an external HD.
I just clicked on the file ***.exe and it opened and the resolution changed
allowing me he entire functionality of adjusting it.