x64 Install On A New Built PC

therock

x64 Install On A New Built PC

Hi folks,

I building an Intel Q6600 PC from scratch running x64 Home Premium.
Upon getting it up and running to the point of the OS install I would
like to ask about some basics and hear anything else offered.
- I'll be using 8GB RAM (4x2GB Cards) Corsair DDR2 800 PC6400 RAM.
Should I start with 4GB and add the rest later. I hear I may need a MS
patch?
- I want a clean optimum install. I remember using the NTFS option in
XPSP2. Any options like this I need to know about in Vx64?
- Administrator options. I will be the only user of this machine. I
want everything I do to be ran as administrator. I'll add a guest
account if it's ever needed. What say you?
- I hear some DVD optical drives (Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA) have
issues in Vista. Will I need the MS kb929777 patch?
- Photoshop CS3 is supposed to run really well in x64 but is a 32bit
program. This will most likely be the first thing I install. I hear
some have to command prompt to \SysWOW64 and do a regsvr32 jscript.dll
and a regsvr32 vbscript.dll?My System (Still in the boxes.)
MoBo - Gigabyte GA-EP35 DS3R.
CPU - Intel Q6600.
RAM - Corsair 8GB
HDD - WD Caviar 750GB SATA.
GPU Radion AX3650 512MB.
PSU - Corsair CMPSU 620 HX (620 watts)
Optical - Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA

Thanks, Add anything else you think I need to know.

--
therock
Noel

RE: x64 Install On A New Built PC
Only thing I might do is try 4 gig at the install, I have 4 gig and Vista
always installs.
If it won't try 2 gig to install it then add the rest. Stay away from the
cheap DVD drives, not worth it in the long run I had a lite on drive and
lasted me about 9 months, you get what you pay for. When you start to install
Vista it will ask you where to install it, and you can create the partition
and format the drive at that point. Photo shop I do not know about, would
check to see if it is 64 bit compatible.
I have 64 Bit Ultimate Vista and it runs like a dream. Good Luck with your
new build.
--
Quad Core

"therock" wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I building an Intel Q6600 PC from scratch running x64 Home Premium.
> Upon getting it up and running to the point of the OS install I would
> like to ask about some basics and hear anything else offered.
> - I'll be using 8GB RAM (4x2GB Cards) Corsair DDR2 800 PC6400 RAM.
> Should I start with 4GB and add the rest later. I hear I may need a MS
> patch?
> - I want a clean optimum install. I remember using the NTFS option in
> XPSP2. Any options like this I need to know about in Vx64?
> - Administrator options. I will be the only user of this machine. I
> want everything I do to be ran as administrator. I'll add a guest
> account if it's ever needed. What say you?
> - I hear some DVD optical drives (Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA) have
> issues in Vista. Will I need the MS kb929777 patch?
> - Photoshop CS3 is supposed to run really well in x64 but is a 32bit
> program. This will most likely be the first thing I install. I hear
> some have to command prompt to \SysWOW64 and do a regsvr32 jscript.dll
> and a regsvr32 vbscript.dll?My System (Still in the boxes.)
> MoBo - Gigabyte GA-EP35 DS3R.
> CPU - Intel Q6600.
> RAM - Corsair 8GB
> HDD - WD Caviar 750GB SATA.
> GPU Radion AX3650 512MB.
> PSU - Corsair CMPSU 620 HX (620 watts)
> Optical - Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA
>
> Thanks, Add anything else you think I need to know.
>

> --
> therock

therock

Re: x64 Install On A New Built PC

Thanks,

On partitioning. Glad you mentioned it. It has not crossed my mind.
I know what it is, never done it and sure I can but was just not into
it.
Well my largest HDD was 120GB. Now I will have a 750GB. I am hearing of
doing a 100GB partition for the OS and installed programs.

Can you give me a layman's idea of the principles or................?

--
therock

*================
Wanna Be Photographer*
John Barnes

Re: x64 Install On A New Built PC
I have had 6 LiteOn drives and NEVER had a problem even with moderate daily
usage. Every one is recognised. Only drive I have ever had a problem with
was a Plextor SATA which I was never able to get recognised. Want to buy
it? It's in my closet.

"Noel" <Noel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Only thing I might do is try 4 gig at the install, I have 4 gig and Vista
> always installs.
> If it won't try 2 gig to install it then add the rest. Stay away from the
> cheap DVD drives, not worth it in the long run I had a lite on drive and
> lasted me about 9 months, you get what you pay for. When you start to
> install
> Vista it will ask you where to install it, and you can create the
> partition
> and format the drive at that point. Photo shop I do not know about, would
> check to see if it is 64 bit compatible.
> I have 64 Bit Ultimate Vista and it runs like a dream. Good Luck with your
> new build.
> --
> Quad Core
>

> "therock" wrote:
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I building an Intel Q6600 PC from scratch running x64 Home Premium.
>> Upon getting it up and running to the point of the OS install I would
>> like to ask about some basics and hear anything else offered.
>> - I'll be using 8GB RAM (4x2GB Cards) Corsair DDR2 800 PC6400 RAM.
>> Should I start with 4GB and add the rest later. I hear I may need a MS
>> patch?
>> - I want a clean optimum install. I remember using the NTFS option in
>> XPSP2. Any options like this I need to know about in Vx64?
>> - Administrator options. I will be the only user of this machine. I
>> want everything I do to be ran as administrator. I'll add a guest
>> account if it's ever needed. What say you?
>> - I hear some DVD optical drives (Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA) have
>> issues in Vista. Will I need the MS kb929777 patch?
>> - Photoshop CS3 is supposed to run really well in x64 but is a 32bit
>> program. This will most likely be the first thing I install. I hear
>> some have to command prompt to \SysWOW64 and do a regsvr32 jscript.dll
>> and a regsvr32 vbscript.dll?My System (Still in the boxes.)
>> MoBo - Gigabyte GA-EP35 DS3R.
>> CPU - Intel Q6600.
>> RAM - Corsair 8GB
>> HDD - WD Caviar 750GB SATA.
>> GPU Radion AX3650 512MB.
>> PSU - Corsair CMPSU 620 HX (620 watts)
>> Optical - Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA
>>
>> Thanks, Add anything else you think I need to know.
>>

>> --
>> therock

Noel

Re: x64 Install On A New Built PC
depends what you want to do with the hard drive. I have 2 Maxtor hard drives
500 gig in Raid 0, and 1 maxtor hard drive 300 gig not raid. The 300 gig has
XP on it and the Raid 0 is 931 gig with vista on it. I have never put the os
on a seperate partition before everthing is always on the same partition. My
hard drive has 1 partition.
--
Quad Core