Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista install can't see SATA hard drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Jay
 

Posts: n/a
Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can not
see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD and a
Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware issue,
I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I stopped
the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from Gigabyte.
Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP install
disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to fix
this?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Bob F.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C3113AAC-9DCF-46F0-9B6B-07C5292608EF@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can not
> see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
> and a
> Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware
> issue,
> I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I
> stopped
> the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from Gigabyte.
> Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP
> install
> disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to
> fix
> this?
>
>



What do you see with Seagate Disk Tools? That should be able to format the
drive and prepare it for an OS installation.

--
BobF.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Jay
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
I hadn't run anything on this hard drive yet. It was an OEM version so i
took it out of the bubble pack and installed it into my computer. So maybe I
take it out, attach to my other computer and try to format it.

"Bob F." wrote:

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C3113AAC-9DCF-46F0-9B6B-07C5292608EF@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can not
> > see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
> > and a
> > Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware
> > issue,
> > I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I
> > stopped
> > the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from Gigabyte.
> > Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP
> > install
> > disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to
> > fix
> > this?
> >
> >

>
>
> What do you see with Seagate Disk Tools? That should be able to format the
> drive and prepare it for an OS installation.
>
> --
> BobF.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Bob F.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news5882E45-298B-4569-8B72-FCBBB434DAFF@microsoft.com...
>I hadn't run anything on this hard drive yet. It was an OEM version so i
> took it out of the bubble pack and installed it into my computer. So
> maybe I
> take it out, attach to my other computer and try to format it.
>
> "Bob F." wrote:
>
>> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C3113AAC-9DCF-46F0-9B6B-07C5292608EF@microsoft.com...
>> >I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can
>> >not
>> > see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
>> > and a
>> > Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware
>> > issue,
>> > I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I
>> > stopped
>> > the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from
>> > Gigabyte.
>> > Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP
>> > install
>> > disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to
>> > fix
>> > this?
>> >
>> >

>>
>>
>> What do you see with Seagate Disk Tools? That should be able to format
>> the
>> drive and prepare it for an OS installation.
>>
>> --
>> BobF.
>>



No need. You should have gotten a copy of Disktools from Seagate. If not
you can download it free. It runs standalone. It should find your drive
and it format it where it is. Very simple and fundamental. Disktools
doesn't care if it's OEM or where it is.

--
BobF.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2008
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
You should have the SATA controller driver (usually from the MOBO disk) and
install on the page where you select the drive. There is a button to
install the driver.

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C3113AAC-9DCF-46F0-9B6B-07C5292608EF@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can not
> see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
> and a
> Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware
> issue,
> I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I
> stopped
> the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from Gigabyte.
> Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP
> install
> disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to
> fix
> this?
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
Jay
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
I forgot to mention below that the BIOS sees the drive.

Anyways, I go through the Vista installation, and then select install
driver. I install the driver and it still doesn't see the drive.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You should have the SATA controller driver (usually from the MOBO disk) and
> install on the page where you select the drive. There is a button to
> install the driver.
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C3113AAC-9DCF-46F0-9B6B-07C5292608EF@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can not
> > see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
> > and a
> > Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware
> > issue,
> > I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I
> > stopped
> > the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from Gigabyte.
> > Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP
> > install
> > disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to
> > fix
> > this?
> >
> >

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
On your MOBO driver cd, there is usually a program called something like
'make driver disk'. You need to run that and put the drivers on a USB drive
or floppy. That would be what you would browse to when you are asked to
install the drivers. You do not just put a cd in the drive and expect that
it will give you the drivers.

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0545AC32-BE01-40FE-993F-BAD7FEF81A56@microsoft.com...
>I forgot to mention below that the BIOS sees the drive.
>
> Anyways, I go through the Vista installation, and then select install
> driver. I install the driver and it still doesn't see the drive.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> You should have the SATA controller driver (usually from the MOBO disk)
>> and
>> install on the page where you select the drive. There is a button to
>> install the driver.
>>
>> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C3113AAC-9DCF-46F0-9B6B-07C5292608EF@microsoft.com...
>> >I am trying to do a clean install on a newly built system but Vista can
>> >not
>> > see my SATA hard drive. I have a Seagate 7200 barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
>> > and a
>> > Giga-byte P35 Mobo. Not knowing if it was a Vista issue or a hardware
>> > issue,
>> > I put in a XP installation disk and XP could recognize the drive. I
>> > stopped
>> > the install and tried loading some drivers off of the disk from
>> > Gigabyte.
>> > Vista still can not see the hard drive, but now when I throw the XP
>> > install
>> > disk back in, it can not see the hard drive either. Anyone know how to
>> > fix
>> > this?
>> >
>> >

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
JoeP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
Hi Bob,

Which disk tools are you using? The Enterprise one which is called:
SeaTools_Enterprise_Install.exe or SeaToolsDOS207EURO.iso that works with
cd.

Thanks,

Joe

> No need. You should have gotten a copy of Disktools from Seagate. If not
> you can download it free. It runs standalone. It should find your drive
> and it format it where it is. Very simple and fundamental. Disktools
> doesn't care if it's OEM or where it is.




Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
Bob F.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista install can't see SATA hard drive
I used various versions over the years. The Disk I just received with the
500GB drive I just added was called " Disk Utility CD" and has: Seatools
Online, Disk Wizard and a Users Manual included. You can download the same
software from the site which I've also done in the past.
--
BobF.

"JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:upm8b8GhIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bob,
>
> Which disk tools are you using? The Enterprise one which is called:
> SeaTools_Enterprise_Install.exe or SeaToolsDOS207EURO.iso that works with
> cd.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
>> No need. You should have gotten a copy of Disktools from Seagate. If
>> not you can download it free. It runs standalone. It should find your
>> drive and it format it where it is. Very simple and fundamental.
>> Disktools doesn't care if it's OEM or where it is.

>
>
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My sata hard drive does not appear in Vista Mike microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 32 06-25-2009 08:46
Vista SATA II Hard Drive Installation Problem Drew30 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-12-2008 19:50
Can't see SATA XP Hard drive with in Vista 64bit Corey microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 11-05-2007 20:54
Vista install on SATA drive AnnFenneman@speedkills.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 15 10-09-2007 23:07
Problem with hard drive sata detection vista =?Utf-8?B?cGV0aXR3dQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 12-15-2006 09:36




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120