Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits

JoeP

Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits
Hi All,

I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
Raptor HD 150GB.
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189

The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
Format is dimmed from some reason.

I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

Curious

Re: Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits
What CPU do you have on your system?
Do you have the full version of Vista Ultimate or the Upgrade version?
"JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
> Raptor HD 150GB.
> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189
>
> The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
> Format is dimmed from some reason.
>
> I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
> drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

John

Re: Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits

"JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
> Raptor HD 150GB.
> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189
>
> The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
> Format is dimmed from some reason.
>
> I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
> drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

That is a SATA drive.
You probably need to install a driver for it if you
don't have an Intel motherboard.

JoeP

Re: Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits
It is Maximus Formula mother made by asus.
and I thought Windows Vista has the basic drive for that Western Digital
SATA HD.

"John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote in message

> "JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
>> Raptor HD 150GB.
>> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189
>>
>> The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
>> Format is dimmed from some reason.
>>
>> I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
>> drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.
>>
>> Please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joe
>>

> That is a SATA drive.
> You probably need to install a driver for it if you
> don't have an Intel motherboard.

JoeP

Re: Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits

It is a Quad Core 3GH CPU and it is not an upgrade, it is a full blown Vista
Ultimate 64 bits install.

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> What CPU do you have on your system?
> Do you have the full version of Vista Ultimate or the Upgrade version?
> "JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
>> Raptor HD 150GB.
>> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189
>>
>> The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
>> Format is dimmed from some reason.
>>
>> I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
>> drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.
>>
>> Please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joe

Kerry Brown

Re: Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits
It depends how you have the BIOS configured. Make sure everything that
mentions RAID is disabled. This causes most motherboards to emulate a
standard IDE controller. If not then you need to install a driver for the
SATA controller.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

> It is Maximus Formula mother made by asus.
> and I thought Windows Vista has the basic drive for that Western Digital
> SATA HD.
>

> "John" <noaddress@noaddress.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
>>> Raptor HD 150GB.
>>> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189
>>>
>>> The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
>>> Format is dimmed from some reason.
>>>
>>> I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
>>> drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.
>>>
>>> Please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>

>> That is a SATA drive.
>> You probably need to install a driver for it if you
>> don't have an Intel motherboard.

andy

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:17:52 -0400, "JoeP" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am trying to install Vista ultimate 64 bits into the Western Digital
>Raptor HD 150GB.
>http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=189
>
>The OS sees the drive and I can continue with the installation but the
>Format is dimmed from some reason.

Did you create a partition first? (New)

>I remember that before when installed for Raid 1 and had to load the
>drivers, but this is not raid just a straight forward hd.
>
>Please let me know.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joe

JoeP

Re: Format is not available in Vista ultimate 64 bits
Hi Kerry,

Talking to Western Digital they do not have any driver for the HD. I ended
up restoring from Norton Ghost and windows Vista removed the raid driver and
installed the Raptor driver. The Bios is clean from any Raid setup. Trying
the same installation in Windows XP up to the point it recognized the drive
and it did not have any problem what so ever. Also I found out, that if I
have a partition that was made for Raid and someting is wrong there then
Vista install crashed and that's why also I used Windows XP to remove the
parttition. That was the error that I got from Windows Vista at first:
http://infopirate.org/what-does-stop-0x0000c1f5-mean

Also Norton Ghost had the same error.

Maybe Vista SP1 resolved the above err.

Thanks,