? Partition size for new Vista Home Prem Install

dnicmk

? Partition size for new Vista Home Prem Install

Hi,:sarc:

I have a Brand spanking new 320GB laptop HD. I wish to install into my
laptop. Any advice on what the Partition size for the C drive. I was
thinking of 50GB. Then partition the rest of the the drive into two
further partitions one for data and the other to be used as a scratch
drive.

Any advice would be appreciated

David

--
dnicmk

Dell Inspiron 1520, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50Ghz,4GB Ram,80GB
HD,Vista home Premium.
John Barnett MVP

Re: ? Partition size for new Vista Home Prem Install
Depends upon what other software you are going to install. Personally I set
my Vista partition to 100GB. As I am running Office 2007, Adobe Photoshop,
Office accounting, and a few other main programs I currently have around
55GB of space left on the partition (backups and data are stored on a USB
removable drive). So, as you can see, even 50GB can soon disappear.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"dnicmk" <dnicmk.3627y0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,:sarc:
>
> I have a Brand spanking new 320GB laptop HD. I wish to install into my
> laptop. Any advice on what the Partition size for the C drive. I was
> thinking of 50GB. Then partition the rest of the the drive into two
> further partitions one for data and the other to be used as a scratch
> drive.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated
>
> David
>

> --
> dnicmk
>
> Dell Inspiron 1520, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50Ghz,4GB Ram,80GB
> HD,Vista home Premium.

Valentin

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Depends upon what other software you are going to install. Personally I
> set my Vista partition to 100GB. As I am running Office 2007, Adobe
> Photoshop, Office accounting, and a few other main programs I currently
> have around 55GB of space left on the partition (backups and data are
> stored on a USB removable drive). So, as you can see, even 50GB can soon
> disappear.

I'm thinking of buying a USB removable drive for backup and storage.
My hard drive is "159 GB free of 184 GB".
I was thinking of buying a 160 GB USB drive.
Question: is this size sufficient or does it have to be at least the size of
my hard drive (~200 GB).
Thanks.

John Barnett MVP

Re: ? Partition size for new Vista Home Prem Install
I'm currently using an 80GB hard drive for backup/data storage. As my system
is backed up or should I say 'imaged' using Acronis True Image the contents
of the hard drive image are actually compressed, so once I image my drive it
is compressed to around 30GB. I don't do incremental backups I always do
full backups, so the original backup image I deleted and then a new one
created, thus keeping a similar file size. Incidentally, I do also keep a
full backup on a set of DVDs just in case of problems with the removable
drive.

Data backups can average, in my case, around 25GB so with an 80GB drive I
still have some to spare - but once again even the data back ups are also
backed up to DVDs as a precaution. It is regularly drummed into us to buy
the largest hard drive you can afford. In my case 80GB is fine, but I am
planning on buying a 250GB drive to replace it, mainly because I want to run
virtual machine software from the data/backup drive instead of my main
drive.

You currently are using around 25 GB of space on your hard drive (basing it
on the figures you have supplied) so I would have though that 160GB would be
enough or your needs - unless, of course, you can get a 250GB for a good
price, in which case I would suggest going for the larger drive. If you
can't get a good price on the 250GB at a good price then stick with the
160GB.