Computers Information

hollywood91753

Computers Information
I feel like a fool asking this but I'm 54yrs. old and only had this PC for
about 18 months. What I hope someone will tell me is when I first bought this
computer I had to give it a name and what ever else they asked for. Also I
can't remember what "DOMAIN" in the PC world refers to. I do know some where
on my PC it will tell me what I named it but I haven't the slightest idea how
to do it. I would really appreciate any help from anyone. Thank you in
advance for any help you may lend me. Its very frustrating when you don't
know this or that about something you bought yourself. To make things worse I
bought a lap top and started on it and I evedently have the two mixed up so I
need to find the information to continue Craig.
Rick Rogers

Re: Computers Information
Hi,

A home pc would not normally be on a domain. Normally, it'd be a workgroup.
Click start and type CONTROL SYSTEM, then hit <enter>. The computer name and
domain/workgroup name should display here.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"hollywood91753" <hollywood91753@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I feel like a fool asking this but I'm 54yrs. old and only had this PC for
> about 18 months. What I hope someone will tell me is when I first bought
> this
> computer I had to give it a name and what ever else they asked for. Also I
> can't remember what "DOMAIN" in the PC world refers to. I do know some
> where
> on my PC it will tell me what I named it but I haven't the slightest idea
> how
> to do it. I would really appreciate any help from anyone. Thank you in
> advance for any help you may lend me. Its very frustrating when you don't
> know this or that about something you bought yourself. To make things
> worse I
> bought a lap top and started on it and I evedently have the two mixed up
> so I
> need to find the information to continue Craig.

hollywood91753

Re: Computers Information
Rick thanks for replying to my question and I'm not an expert but you must
left something out one step anyway. When I click start and start typing the
first letter is " C "and when I hit the C it goes to the control panel. It's
like I'm typing out in space because I don't see any box to type in when I
click start. I see "All Programs" My Computer and My Documents etc. etc..
Thanks again Craig.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A home pc would not normally be on a domain. Normally, it'd be a workgroup.
> Click start and type CONTROL SYSTEM, then hit <enter>. The computer name and
> domain/workgroup name should display here.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "hollywood91753" <hollywood91753@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I feel like a fool asking this but I'm 54yrs. old and only had this PC for
> > about 18 months. What I hope someone will tell me is when I first bought
> > this
> > computer I had to give it a name and what ever else they asked for. Also I
> > can't remember what "DOMAIN" in the PC world refers to. I do know some
> > where
> > on my PC it will tell me what I named it but I haven't the slightest idea
> > how
> > to do it. I would really appreciate any help from anyone. Thank you in
> > advance for any help you may lend me. Its very frustrating when you don't
> > know this or that about something you bought yourself. To make things
> > worse I
> > bought a lap top and started on it and I evedently have the two mixed up
> > so I
> > need to find the information to continue Craig.

Rick Rogers

Re: Computers Information
Hi Craig,

Just a guess, but are you running XP? This is a Vista group, so I had
assumed your were running Vista. XP does not have the quick search line, and
to get the same results you need to click on "run" from the program menu or
hit the windows key+r to open the run box. Then you can type in the control
line.

Alternately, from the Control Panel you can open the System applet. The
information you want is on the general tab.