Freezing on 1st boot of day

polwarth

Freezing on 1st boot of day
I have vista home premium

The first time i turn on my comp each day vista freezes on desktop screen.

I reboot and it fine.

I looked in event viewer and the error which is happening when it freezes is
to do with ACPI

Error message:IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in
PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical
assistance.

IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6,
function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

etc.....

I have been assured this is a Vista problem and not hardware

Any help I can get would be much appreciated

SPEC: Windows hom prem(32), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, 320gb hard
drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

.Joe

Re: Freezing on 1st boot of day

polwarth;640909 Wrote:
> I have vista home premium
>
> The first time i turn on my comp each day vista freezes on desktop
> screen.
>
> I reboot and it fine.
>
> I looked in event viewer and the error which is happening when it
> freezes is
> to do with ACPI
>
> Error message:IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device
> in
> PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical
> assistance.
>
> IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6,
> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
>
> etc.....
>
> I have been assured this is a Vista problem and not hardware
>
> Any help I can get would be much appreciated
>
> SPEC: Windows hom prem(32), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, 320gb
> hard
> drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

Apparently, this is a fairly common problem. Discussed in many forums,
including this one at Vista x64:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardwa...6-problem.html

As of this post, I haven't been able to find the magic key to get rid
of this.

If you find a fix, please let us know.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Rick Rogers

Re: Freezing on 1st boot of day
Hi,

You probably have a piece of hardware that is failing. The system should be
checked by a technician.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"polwarth" <polwarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have vista home premium
>
> The first time i turn on my comp each day vista freezes on desktop screen.
>
> I reboot and it fine.
>
> I looked in event viewer and the error which is happening when it freezes
> is
> to do with ACPI
>
> Error message:IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in
> PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical
> assistance.
>
> IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6,
> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
>
> etc.....
>
> I have been assured this is a Vista problem and not hardware
>
> Any help I can get would be much appreciated
>
> SPEC: Windows hom prem(32), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, 320gb hard
> drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

polwarth

Re: Freezing on 1st boot of day
I am quite handy with comps, no expert but if the hardware functions totally
normal after reboot it sugests a software problem? does it not?

All devices are working normally and fully updated driver+updates on all.
The healthcheck comes back with no problems when I run it, games play
seemlessly and so does music and other complex programs. Performance is
overall excellent.

With so many related 'freezing' problems in other forums this does seem like
an unaddressed vista problem. Some people trying hardware switchs with no
success but when they run XP everything is fine.

Anyone with expert help and not general advice please reply

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You probably have a piece of hardware that is failing. The system should be
> checked by a technician.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "polwarth" <polwarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have vista home premium
> >
> > The first time i turn on my comp each day vista freezes on desktop screen.
> >
> > I reboot and it fine.
> >
> > I looked in event viewer and the error which is happening when it freezes
> > is
> > to do with ACPI
> >
> > Error message:IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in
> > PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical
> > assistance.
> >
> > IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6,
> > function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
> >
> > etc.....
> >
> > I have been assured this is a Vista problem and not hardware
> >
> > Any help I can get would be much appreciated
> >
> > SPEC: Windows hom prem(32), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, 320gb hard
> > drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

JW

Re: Freezing on 1st boot of day
One of your pieces of hardware such as a disk drive is not coming on line
fast enough after being shutdown and cooled down over night.
Try setting your system to boot from your CD drive without having a CD in it
so it won't try booting from your system drive right away.
>I am quite handy with comps, no expert but if the hardware functions
>totally
> normal after reboot it sugests a software problem? does it not?
>
> All devices are working normally and fully updated driver+updates on all.
> The healthcheck comes back with no problems when I run it, games play
> seemlessly and so does music and other complex programs. Performance is
> overall excellent.
>
> With so many related 'freezing' problems in other forums this does seem
> like
> an unaddressed vista problem. Some people trying hardware switchs with no
> success but when they run XP everything is fine.
>
> Anyone with expert help and not general advice please reply
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You probably have a piece of hardware that is failing. The system should
>> be
>> checked by a technician.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "polwarth" <polwarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have vista home premium
>> >
>> > The first time i turn on my comp each day vista freezes on desktop
>> > screen.
>> >
>> > I reboot and it fine.
>> >
>> > I looked in event viewer and the error which is happening when it
>> > freezes
>> > is
>> > to do with ACPI
>> >
>> > Error message:IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device
>> > in
>> > PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical
>> > assistance.
>> >
>> > IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6,
>> > function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
>> >
>> > etc.....
>> >
>> > I have been assured this is a Vista problem and not hardware
>> >
>> > Any help I can get would be much appreciated
>> >
>> > SPEC: Windows hom prem(32), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, 320gb
>> > hard
>> > drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

DL

Re: Freezing on 1st boot of day
A freeze on first boot might tend to indicate a driver/device problem
Does it boot immediately / ok if you boot to safe mode first?
Or if you enable the boot logging for the first boot, then examine the log
does it give any other indication?

"polwarth" <polwarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am quite handy with comps, no expert but if the hardware functions
>totally
> normal after reboot it sugests a software problem? does it not?
>
> All devices are working normally and fully updated driver+updates on all.
> The healthcheck comes back with no problems when I run it, games play
> seemlessly and so does music and other complex programs. Performance is
> overall excellent.
>
> With so many related 'freezing' problems in other forums this does seem
> like
> an unaddressed vista problem. Some people trying hardware switchs with no
> success but when they run XP everything is fine.
>
> Anyone with expert help and not general advice please reply
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You probably have a piece of hardware that is failing. The system should
>> be
>> checked by a technician.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "polwarth" <polwarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have vista home premium
>> >
>> > The first time i turn on my comp each day vista freezes on desktop
>> > screen.
>> >
>> > I reboot and it fine.
>> >
>> > I looked in event viewer and the error which is happening when it
>> > freezes
>> > is
>> > to do with ACPI
>> >
>> > Error message:IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device
>> > in
>> > PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical
>> > assistance.
>> >
>> > IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6,
>> > function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
>> >
>> > etc.....
>> >
>> > I have been assured this is a Vista problem and not hardware
>> >
>> > Any help I can get would be much appreciated
>> >
>> > SPEC: Windows hom prem(32), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, 320gb
>> > hard
>> > drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

Rick Rogers

Re: Freezing on 1st boot of day
Hi,

Vista has no problems with an ACPI compliant BIOS. If it were a problem of
this nature, it would be that the BIOS instruction set is not up to the
latest standard and needs to be flashed. But, I don't think that this is the
issue in any case.

When a system fails to boot properly when "cold" but not when "warm", it's a
sign of a problem with the hardware, not the software. What's probably
happening is that a hairline solder crack or partially blown capacitor is
causing the system to not respond properly. Once power is applied for a few
minutes (aka the time to boot and reboot), the component has warmed up and
expands, and functions correctly until it has a chance to cool down again.
The problem won't get better, it'll get worse until eventually it either
doesn't load at all, or causes damage to other components by passing stray
voltage.