dual OS possible using backup HD?

Alsenor

dual OS possible using backup HD?
I have an HP 7763w PC, which came with Vista.
It has that vertical bay in the tower front for a backup (or portable?)
drive, that can be popped in and out easily.
I really would like to have XP on my machine again, but am a little
concerned about changing the main HD, or making a partition on it, fearing
unforeseen problems.
Can I install it on the BU drive? Or what would be a good way to be able to
boot into either OS at my choice?

Jack

Re: dual OS possible using backup HD?
use Virtual PC
Jack

"Alsenor" <alsenor@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP 7763w PC, which came with Vista.
> It has that vertical bay in the tower front for a backup (or portable?)
> drive, that can be popped in and out easily.
> I really would like to have XP on my machine again, but am a little
> concerned about changing the main HD, or making a partition on it, fearing
> unforeseen problems.
> Can I install it on the BU drive? Or what would be a good way to be able
> to boot into either OS at my choice?

PMcGarr

Re: dual OS possible using backup HD?

Yes, you can run multiple OS's on multiple drives. You can do it on a
single drive too as long as you create multiple partitions on it. Your
request is VERY common, and the proper term for it is "Dual Boot".

Dual boot can be confusing the first time, so proceed with caution and
read everything carefully.

Google this: dual boot vista xp

You'll get loads of help. Good luck.

Paul

--
PMcGarr

case: antec p182
psu: corsair 750tx
mobo: asus maximus formula
cpu: intel q6600
ram: 8gb ocz ddr2 800mhz
vga: sapphire radeon hd3870 512mb
tv: sapphire theatrix 650pro
hdd: 2x wd caviar 250gb sata (raid 0)
hdd: 3x wd caviar 500gb sata (raid 5)
os: vista ultimate 64bit
AJR

Re: dual OS possible using backup HD?
A point to remember about Virtual PC - USB ports are not avialble.

"Alsenor" <alsenor@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP 7763w PC, which came with Vista.
> It has that vertical bay in the tower front for a backup (or portable?)
> drive, that can be popped in and out easily.
> I really would like to have XP on my machine again, but am a little
> concerned about changing the main HD, or making a partition on it, fearing
> unforeseen problems.
> Can I install it on the BU drive? Or what would be a good way to be able
> to boot into either OS at my choice?

andy

Re: dual OS possible using backup HD?
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:22:27 -0700, "Alsenor" <alsenor@ggholiday.com>
wrote:

>I have an HP 7763w PC, which came with Vista.
>It has that vertical bay in the tower front for a backup (or portable?)
>drive, that can be popped in and out easily.
>I really would like to have XP on my machine again, but am a little
>concerned about changing the main HD, or making a partition on it, fearing
>unforeseen problems.
>Can I install it on the BU drive? Or what would be a good way to be able to
>boot into either OS at my choice?

The BU drive has a USB interface, so the answer is no.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: dual OS possible using backup HD?

"Alsenor" <alsenor@ggholiday.com> wrote...

> what would be a good way to be able to
> boot into either OS at my choice?

Use a removable drive bay and two separate drives.