How to install XP over Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

How to install XP over Vista?
I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek Squad
were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
They suggested reinstalling Vista.

I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.

How do I install XP on a Vista machine?

Thanks!
Drew

Re: How to install XP over Vista?
Not much help but your FIST mistake was going to the IDIOTS at Best buy...I
have yet to see one who actually knows what they are doing !!!!
"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> Squad
> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> They suggested reinstalling Vista.
>
> I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
> around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
> install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.
>
> How do I install XP on a Vista machine?
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

Re: How to install XP over Vista?
The men and women at my local Best Buy have been nothing but helpful and
courteous in the past, quite savvy and far from "idiotic."

That aside, my question remains.

Thanks.

"Drew" wrote:

> Not much help but your FIST mistake was going to the IDIOTS at Best buy...I
> have yet to see one who actually knows what they are doing !!!!
> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> > flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> > Squad
> > were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> > that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> > They suggested reinstalling Vista.
> >
> > I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
> > around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
> > install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.
> >
> > How do I install XP on a Vista machine?
> >
> > Thanks!

Puppy Breath

Re: How to install XP over Vista?
You can't install XP "over" Vista or as a "downgrade". I think you need to
stay focused on getting the Inernet connection to work, unless you want to
try to install XP on a separate partition, or wipe the hard disk clean and
start all over.

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> Squad
> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> They suggested reinstalling Vista.
>
> I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
> around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
> install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.
>
> How do I install XP on a Vista machine?
>
> Thanks!

Tom

Re: How to install XP over Vista?
Well if it is a restore or a real XP install CD try booting up of it to
launch restore or install program
"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> Squad
> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> They suggested reinstalling Vista.
>
> I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
> around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
> install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.
>
> How do I install XP on a Vista machine?
>
> Thanks!

john

Re: How to install XP over Vista?

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> Squad
> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> They suggested reinstalling Vista.
>
> I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
> around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
> install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.
>
> How do I install XP on a Vista machine?

Just boot from your XP CD, reformat the partition and reinstall = nothing to
it

John Barnes

Re: How to install XP over Vista?
You need to boot to the install CD. You may need to change boot priority in
your BIOS so the CD is before the HD.

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> Squad
> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> They suggested reinstalling Vista.
>
> I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second time
> around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert my XP
> install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't highlighted.
>
> How do I install XP on a Vista machine?
>
> Thanks!

John Inzer

Lance wrote:
> I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek
> Squad were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended
> discussion--decided that the problem was in Vista's installation,
> rather than somewhere in IE. They suggested reinstalling Vista.
>
> I don't have time for reinstalling in hopes that it works the second
> time around. I want to put XP back on my computer, but when I insert
> my XP install disk, the option to "install Windows XP" isn't
> highlighted.
>
> How do I install XP on a Vista machine?
>
> Thanks!

==================================
As someone else suggested...focusing on
getting the Inernet connection to work may be
your best bet....anyway...maybe the following
article will offer some ideas:

(927522) How to restore a computer to a
previous Windows installation after you install
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927522/en-us

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

=?Utf-8?B?U2V0aF9M?=

"Lance" wrote:

> I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek Squad
> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
> They suggested reinstalling Vista.

Try flashing the firmware in your router to the latest. I had a number of
Vista machines that using multiple programs (for Newsgroups and Antivirus)
couldn't connect to their servers. Flashing the firmware (in my case,
Linksys RV042) cured all...

Gary VanderMolen

"Seth_L" <SethL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDA2FBD9-6455-47F4-B6C2-B2BA0CDA1436@microsoft.com...
> "Lance" wrote:
>
>> I installed a Vista upgrade from Dell last night. Everything works
>> flawlessly but the internet connection. The techs at Best Buy's Geek Squad
>> were stumped for an hour, and then--after an extended discussion--decided
>> that the problem was in Vista's installation, rather than somewhere in IE.
>> They suggested reinstalling Vista.

> Try flashing the firmware in your router to the latest. I had a number of
> Vista machines that using multiple programs (for Newsgroups and Antivirus)
> couldn't connect to their servers. Flashing the firmware (in my case,
> Linksys RV042) cured all...

If the router is suspected as being the source of the problem, an easy
test would be to try connecting the PC directly to the broadband modem.

Also, some routers need their SPI function disabled in order to work
with Vista.
--
Gary VanderMolen