Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFQbGF5YQ==?=

Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
When the upgrade is 57% done of "completing upgrade" it comes up with a
Runtime Error saying "Runtime Error! C:/WINDOWS/system32/oobe/setup.exe" and
is preventing me from upgrading to Vista. Why is this happening?
Thanks.
Ed Kraus

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
did you turn on the do the updates in installation? Try not doing them see
if that'd do it.
"VistaPlaya" <VistaPlaya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When the upgrade is 57% done of "completing upgrade" it comes up with a
> Runtime Error saying "Runtime Error! C:/WINDOWS/system32/oobe/setup.exe"
> and
> is preventing me from upgrading to Vista. Why is this happening?
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFQbGF5YQ==?=

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
This did not help. Does anyone else know why this is happening?

"Ed Kraus" wrote:

> did you turn on the do the updates in installation? Try not doing them see
> if that'd do it.
> "VistaPlaya" <VistaPlaya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When the upgrade is 57% done of "completing upgrade" it comes up with a
> > Runtime Error saying "Runtime Error! C:/WINDOWS/system32/oobe/setup.exe"
> > and
> > is preventing me from upgrading to Vista. Why is this happening?
> > Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
I'm getting something very similar to your situation: My error message is the
same as your except that mine occurs at 56% completion.

I'm upgrading from Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I have run both the HP
Upgrade Advisor (Assistant?) and the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor.

This has happened to me twice. No one at HP that I spoke with could find
anything regarding this situation. At the very least, misery loves company,
and I'm "happy" (in a sense) to see that someone else has the same problem.

"VistaPlaya" wrote:

> This did not help. Does anyone else know why this is happening?
>
> "Ed Kraus" wrote:
>
> > did you turn on the do the updates in installation? Try not doing them see
> > if that'd do it.
> > "VistaPlaya" <VistaPlaya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When the upgrade is 57% done of "completing upgrade" it comes up with a
> > > Runtime Error saying "Runtime Error! C:/WINDOWS/system32/oobe/setup.exe"
> > > and
> > > is preventing me from upgrading to Vista. Why is this happening?
> > > Thanks.

mikimous

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
Yes... as the saying goes... misery loves company! Unfortunately, I
have hit a brick wall with this. I've seen sporadic mention of the
problem but the only solution appears to be a fresh install instead of
an upgrade. I was about to consider that for my desktop when I found
an issue with my Vista upgraded laptop. I couldn't install a
compatible print driver for my HP All In One LaserJet.

Turns out that the HP Laser printer I own does not have a Vista
driver, nor is there a plan to actually create one. I would have
thought that there would have been some sort of solution as there has
always been some sort of driver or workaround to support HP legacy
equipment (trusty LaserJet IIIsi series drivers in a pinch). This
does not appear to be the case with Vista and I'm not about to throw
out my perfectly functioning All-In-One Laserjet so I can enjoy the
Aero interface.

Good luck in your pursuit. I'll be curious to know if you ever get a
resolution besides a clean install.

On Mar 18, 5:06 pm, Brad <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm getting something very similar to your situation: My error message is the
> same as your except that mine occurs at 56% completion.
>
> I'm upgrading from Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I have run both the HP
> Upgrade Advisor (Assistant?) and the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor.
>
> This has happened to me twice. No one at HP that I spoke with could find
> anything regarding this situation. At the very least, misery loves company,
> and I'm "happy" (in a sense) to see that someone else has the same problem.
>

> "VistaPlaya" wrote:
> > This did not help. Does anyone else know why this is happening?

> > "Ed Kraus" wrote:

> > > did you turn on the do the updates in installation? Try not doing them see
> > > if that'd do it.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
It will be curious how this is resolved. My PC--which was new in December
2006--and was advertised as "Vista Ready" and qualified me for a "free"
Express Vista Upgrade--which was anything but "Express"--apparently requires
a lot more uninstalling of applications than readily opening admitted.

Three, maybe four, paths are possibilities:

-- partition the hard drive to be dual boot, retaining the XP installation
while adding a new "fresh" Vista installation to the new partition. However,
this makes inefficient use of hard drive capacities due to the
redundancies--that is, really nasty overhead. Advantage: all of my current
accessories should still work with XP. Vista plays "second fiddle", as if to
be a crippled OS, since it appears that driver support (despite having some
31,000 drivers available for Vista) appears to be lagging for key drivers,
such as common, popular graphics cards.

-- retain the original partitioning from HP, restoring XP from scratch,
installating nothing but XP updates, and then installing Vista as upgrade.
(on the thought that something that's been installed is interfering in the
oobe directory)

-- wipe out everything on the whole hard drive, and do a "clean" Vista
installation--which I don't know will work, but others have indicated it has.

Virtualized Linux sessions are looking more and more attractive...

"mikimous" wrote:

> Yes... as the saying goes... misery loves company! Unfortunately, I
> have hit a brick wall with this. I've seen sporadic mention of the
> problem but the only solution appears to be a fresh install instead of
> an upgrade. I was about to consider that for my desktop when I found
> an issue with my Vista upgraded laptop. I couldn't install a
> compatible print driver for my HP All In One LaserJet.
>
> Turns out that the HP Laser printer I own does not have a Vista
> driver, nor is there a plan to actually create one. I would have
> thought that there would have been some sort of solution as there has
> always been some sort of driver or workaround to support HP legacy
> equipment (trusty LaserJet IIIsi series drivers in a pinch). This
> does not appear to be the case with Vista and I'm not about to throw
> out my perfectly functioning All-In-One Laserjet so I can enjoy the
> Aero interface.
>
> Good luck in your pursuit. I'll be curious to know if you ever get a
> resolution besides a clean install.
>
> On Mar 18, 5:06 pm, Brad <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I'm getting something very similar to your situation: My error message is the
> > same as your except that mine occurs at 56% completion.
> >
> > I'm upgrading from Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I have run both the HP
> > Upgrade Advisor (Assistant?) and the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor.
> >
> > This has happened to me twice. No one at HP that I spoke with could find
> > anything regarding this situation. At the very least, misery loves company,
> > and I'm "happy" (in a sense) to see that someone else has the same problem.
> >

> > "VistaPlaya" wrote:
> > > This did not help. Does anyone else know why this is happening?

mikimous

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
Not sure. In reading about the problem, people have alluded that they
have been able to do a fresh install to solve the problem. However, I
got the impression that you had to have an active XP partition in
order for it to work -- not a reformatted hard drive. The reading up
I did indicated that the Vista Upgrade does not do the "cd check" like
older versions. But rather it validates the upgrade against what is
on the hard drive. So... I read that to mean that you can choose the
fresh install option on your Vista DVD, but that you have to let Vista
handle the reformatting in order for everything to be valid.

I still haven't been brave enough to take the leap. My set back with
the lack of a basic laser printer driver has pretty much caused me to
back off for a while. I understand the need for some planned
obsolescence.. but considering this is supposed to be the "gold
standard", I can't help but wonder how long it will take for Vista to
be adopted if we have to throw out all our old equipment (not just the
CPU). There are lots of gizmos I have that I'm not going to part with
at this stage. Ironically, Vista still supports the old DOS cmd
window (virtualized for sure). I guess DOS command and batch file
support was more of a concern to the overall population.

On Mar 19, 12:17 pm, Brad <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > does not appear to be the case with Vista and I'm not about to throw
> > out my perfectly functioning All-In-One Laserjet so I can enjoy the
> > Aero interface.

> > Good luck in your pursuit. I'll be curious to know if you ever get a
> > resolution besides a clean install.

> > On Mar 18, 5:06 pm, Brad <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I'm getting something very similar to your situation: My error message is the
> > > same as your except that mine occurs at 56% completion.

> > > I'm upgrading from Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I have run both the HP
> > > Upgrade Advisor (Assistant?) and the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor.

> > > This has happened to me twice. No one at HP that I spoke with could find
> > > anything regarding this situation. At the very least, misery loves company,
> > > and I'm "happy" (in a sense) to see that someone else has the same problem.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
I don't know about DOS being virtualized. Almost any operating system would
have a command-line interface. It's nice that Windows retains that option for
performing certain things that might not be efficient with a user interface.

For example, I had to manually stop and restart Windows Live Care at the
command (DOS) prompt a couple weeks ago.

For PC virtualization, I'm using VMware Workstation 6 beta. It installs on
your host OS (Windows or Linux), and then you can run virtualized PCs off
that host, which can be any version of DOS, almost any version of Windows,
countless flavors of Linux, or Unix. Except for BSD Unix, performance has
been excellent running these "guest" operating systems. I've been running
this type of setup for several months now.

I'm thinking about running Vista as the host and running XP MCE 2005 as a
guest, along with other OS's as guests. I don't know, but perhaps having XP
as a guest OS, I would hope that I wouldn't encounter compatibility issues
that others infer that Vista has.

Somewhere on this forum are descriptions of running dual boot: Vista on one
partition, and XP on the other. From what I have read, you must install
Vista LAST; otherwise, some bootup config file gets messed up since XP bootup
config file is not compatible with what Vista requires (or something like
that).

I'm concerned that if I have no XP option that I'll get stung buying
upgrades.

"mikimous" wrote:

> [...]
> > > problem but the only solution appears to be a fresh install instead of
> > > an upgrade. I was about to consider that for my desktop when I found
> > > an issue with my Vista upgraded laptop. I couldn't install a
> > > compatible print driver for my HP All In One LaserJet.

> > > Turns out that the HP Laser printer I own does not have a Vista
> > > driver, nor is there a plan to actually create one. I would have
> > > thought that there would have been some sort of solution as there has
> > > always been some sort of driver or workaround to support HP legacy
> > > equipment (trusty LaserJet IIIsi series drivers in a pinch). This
> > > does not appear to be the case with Vista and I'm not about to throw
> > > out my perfectly functioning All-In-One Laserjet so I can enjoy the
> > > Aero interface.

> > > Good luck in your pursuit. I'll be curious to know if you ever get a

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

Re: Error message upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium
Here's what resolved the issue for me:

-- Remove all Symantec-Norton software. Symantec has a tool that you can
download and run. Do a search at Symantec's Web site for software removal
tool. (Funny that even if you had run the regular uninstallation process,
tentacles of Symantec software seem to linger. That's very misleading. That's
apparently why you need their special removal tool.)

-- Do a System Restore (a so-called non-destructive restore)

-- Run HP Upgrade Assistant

-- Run Vista Upgrade installation (IT RAN COMPLETELY, FINALLY!)

-- IMPORTANT: RERUN HP Upgrade Assistant (It installs HP-specific
drivers--IMPORTANT!)

In any case, chances are that some of your other installed applications
might have
become uninstalled or require re-installation.

If you don't have HP computer, your manufacturer should have something
similar to what HP has.

That all said and done, I'm questioning the usability of some changes in
Vista. One expects changes, but some dialogs seem very cluttered and less
user-friendly, for example.

I found it very annoying that IE 7's icon is not on the Desktop. Previously,
on XP I was able to right-click the IE icon and choose to run it without
Add-ons, which what I do 99% of the time. In fact, it seems that the only Web
site that will not run without Add-ons is THIS set of Microsoft Communities.
Odd.

Instead, IE is buried on the Start menu, but without the option to start it
without Add-ons. To access IE without add-ons, you have to dig deeper,
somewhere in the bowels of Accessories > System Tools.

Perhaps usability and function have a lower priority over form?