Screen Resolution Problem

Mike

Screen Resolution Problem
I am having ongoing resolution problems when I install my video card drivers.
BEFORE I install them, my screen resolution is 1280x1024 which is what it
should be.
AFTER I install the nVidia drivers, the maximum allowd resolution drops to
1024x768.
Note: I have an SLI configuration.
Also, This is the maximum allowed resolution. It is too low for my monitor.

S775 P4 3.2 Ghz
2 Gb DDR2 RAM.
SLI GPU's 1 Gb RAM Combined.
John Barnes

Re: Screen Resolution Problem
Don't install them, then. This is an issue you need to take up with nVidia.
Can I suggest you either try the beta or a generation back on the drivers.
Sometimes the latest drivers are not the most appropriate.

>I am having ongoing resolution problems when I install my video card
>drivers.
> BEFORE I install them, my screen resolution is 1280x1024 which is what it
> should be.
> AFTER I install the nVidia drivers, the maximum allowd resolution drops to
> 1024x768.
> Note: I have an SLI configuration.
> Also, This is the maximum allowed resolution. It is too low for my
> monitor.
>
> S775 P4 3.2 Ghz
> 2 Gb DDR2 RAM.
> SLI GPU's 1 Gb RAM Combined.

Mike

Re: Screen Resolution Problem
I gone through this before and nVidia says that it's a "Microsoft problem".
Every version of nVidia driver has the same problem. It's not the nVidia
drivers that are doing this. It's the Vista operating system. Is there a
registry tweak that will allow me to fix this. I have experience with the
windows registry.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Don't install them, then. This is an issue you need to take up with nVidia.
> Can I suggest you either try the beta or a generation back on the drivers.
> Sometimes the latest drivers are not the most appropriate.
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having ongoing resolution problems when I install my video card
> >drivers.
> > BEFORE I install them, my screen resolution is 1280x1024 which is what it
> > should be.
> > AFTER I install the nVidia drivers, the maximum allowd resolution drops to
> > 1024x768.
> > Note: I have an SLI configuration.
> > Also, This is the maximum allowed resolution. It is too low for my
> > monitor.
> >
> > S775 P4 3.2 Ghz
> > 2 Gb DDR2 RAM.
> > SLI GPU's 1 Gb RAM Combined.

John Barnes

Re: Screen Resolution Problem
Sorry, but there is no logic there. You have no problem with the correct
resolution using the native Vista driver. You install the nVidia driver (no
changes to the os) and you now have resolution problems.
The only thing that has changed is the driver (from nVidia). For whatever
reason it is not compatible with the Vista video display interface.
Most monitors work fine with no driver, but you may need the monitor driver.
Check if one is available.
Good luck.

>I gone through this before and nVidia says that it's a "Microsoft problem".
> Every version of nVidia driver has the same problem. It's not the nVidia
> drivers that are doing this. It's the Vista operating system. Is there a
> registry tweak that will allow me to fix this. I have experience with the
> windows registry.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Don't install them, then. This is an issue you need to take up with
>> nVidia.
>> Can I suggest you either try the beta or a generation back on the
>> drivers.
>> Sometimes the latest drivers are not the most appropriate.
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having ongoing resolution problems when I install my video card
>> >drivers.
>> > BEFORE I install them, my screen resolution is 1280x1024 which is what
>> > it
>> > should be.
>> > AFTER I install the nVidia drivers, the maximum allowd resolution drops
>> > 1024x768.
>> > Note: I have an SLI configuration.
>> > Also, This is the maximum allowed resolution. It is too low for my
>> > monitor.
>> >
>> > S775 P4 3.2 Ghz
>> > 2 Gb DDR2 RAM.
>> > SLI GPU's 1 Gb RAM Combined.

Rick Rogers

Re: Screen Resolution Problem
Nvidia has had trouble with proper video drivers for Vista since early on in
the beta. ATI never did. It's not a Vista issue, it's Nvidia's. The video
drivers determine the available resolutions, not the operating system.
There's no registry tweak, you need a display driver that supports the
resolution you desire, and this needs to come from the manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I gone through this before and nVidia says that it's a "Microsoft problem".
> Every version of nVidia driver has the same problem. It's not the nVidia
> drivers that are doing this. It's the Vista operating system. Is there a
> registry tweak that will allow me to fix this. I have experience with the
> windows registry.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Don't install them, then. This is an issue you need to take up with
>> nVidia.
>> Can I suggest you either try the beta or a generation back on the
>> drivers.
>> Sometimes the latest drivers are not the most appropriate.
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having ongoing resolution problems when I install my video card
>> >drivers.
>> > BEFORE I install them, my screen resolution is 1280x1024 which is what
>> > it
>> > should be.
>> > AFTER I install the nVidia drivers, the maximum allowd resolution drops
>> > 1024x768.
>> > Note: I have an SLI configuration.
>> > Also, This is the maximum allowed resolution. It is too low for my
>> > monitor.
>> >
>> > S775 P4 3.2 Ghz
>> > 2 Gb DDR2 RAM.
>> > SLI GPU's 1 Gb RAM Combined.

Chuck

Re: Screen Resolution Problem
You don't suppose that the registry entry codes for resolution changed do
you?
And, the Nvidia developers were using the wrong info (likely from XP?
Microsoft's Docs can leave quite a bit to be desired.