Uninstalling Vista after upgrading

Angela*Computer-Dummy*

Uninstalling Vista after upgrading
How can I uninstall Vista after upgrading from XP. I'm almost completely
dumb when it comes to computers (I'm lucky enough to get it turned on), so
specifics would be great. I recently upgraded a few things (operating
system, graphics card, memory and power supply) on my computer to use some
pinnacle software. After installing vista, I have found it to be more of a
headache than anything and I would like to go back to using XP which is what
my computer originally came with. The last time I backed up my computer was
in 2005 (I know, bad girl). So how can I go back to XP without loosing a lot
of my information.
Kevin

Re: Uninstalling Vista after upgrading

"Angela*Computer-Dummy*" <Angela*Computer-Dummy*@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:B8F124B2-D2C6-4CB5-8F46-9DA3D9973227@microsoft.com...
> How can I uninstall Vista after upgrading from XP. I'm almost completely
> dumb when it comes to computers (I'm lucky enough to get it turned on), so
> specifics would be great. I recently upgraded a few things (operating
> system, graphics card, memory and power supply) on my computer to use some
> pinnacle software. After installing vista, I have found it to be more of
> headache than anything and I would like to go back to using XP which is
> what
> my computer originally came with. The last time I backed up my computer
> was
> in 2005 (I know, bad girl). So how can I go back to XP without loosing a
> lot
> of my information.

First, back up all your files. Burn them to a CD or DVD or copy them to a
USB flash drive or to an external hard drive. You don't need to back up
applications, assuming you have the CD's they came on for installation. You
just need to back up your data.

You need an XP installation disk to perform a clean install of XP. If you
don't have one, then you are screwed. What issues are you having with
Vista?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Uninstalling Vista after upgrading
How to go back to Windows XP after you have upgraded a Windows XP-based
computer to Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933170/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Angela*Computer-Dummy*" wrote:

How can I uninstall Vista after upgrading from XP. I'm almost completely
dumb when it comes to computers (I'm lucky enough to get it turned on), so
specifics would be great. I recently upgraded a few things (operating
system, graphics card, memory and power supply) on my computer to use some
pinnacle software. After installing vista, I have found it to be more of a
headache than anything and I would like to go back to using XP which is what
my computer originally came with. The last time I backed up my computer was
in 2005 (I know, bad girl). So how can I go back to XP without loosing a lot
of my information.
Bruce Chambers

Re: Uninstalling Vista after upgrading
Angela*Computer-Dummy* wrote:
> How can I uninstall Vista after upgrading from XP. I'm almost completely
> dumb when it comes to computers (I'm lucky enough to get it turned on), so
> specifics would be great. I recently upgraded a few things (operating
> system, graphics card, memory and power supply) on my computer to use some
> pinnacle software. After installing vista, I have found it to be more of a
> headache than anything and I would like to go back to using XP which is what
> my computer originally came with. The last time I backed up my computer was
> in 2005 (I know, bad girl). So how can I go back to XP without loosing a lot
> of my information.

If you upgraded to Vista from WinXP:

How to go back to Windows XP after you have upgraded a Windows XP-based
computer to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933170/en-us

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you
install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/en-us

Otherwise:

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: