Retrieving old files

Shane_Shane

Retrieving old files
I upgraded to Vista from XP a while back, computer worked fine for a couple
of months, then installed updated and while updeates were configuring the
computer got unplugged by my dog. Now when i try to start Vista it says that
Windows failed to open. So I then reinstalled vista and lost files which I
had backed on a different drive, having said this when I go into that drive
the files are listed correctly however am not able to open any of the
contents. I also have lost all my sound and ability to play DVDs or CDs.
Please advise if there is anyone with experience w/ this situations, Thank
you in advance!!! Desperate and irritated!!!!!
Malke

Re: Retrieving old files
Shane_Shane wrote:

> I upgraded to Vista from XP a while back, computer worked fine for a
> couple of months, then installed updated and while updeates were
> configuring the
> computer got unplugged by my dog. Now when i try to start Vista it says
> that Windows failed to open. So I then reinstalled vista and lost files
> which I had backed on a different drive, having said this when I go into
> that drive the files are listed correctly however am not able to open any
> of the
> contents. I also have lost all my sound and ability to play DVDs or CDs.
> Please advise if there is anyone with experience w/ this situations,
> Thank
> you in advance!!! Desperate and irritated!!!!!

It would have been more helpful if you'd quoted the error message you get
when you try and get your files. I suspect it is the "access denied" error.
If this is correct, you simply need to take ownership (see below). As for
the problem with your DVD/CDs and sound, after you install an operating
system you must then install the drivers for your hardware. See below for
general drivers information.

***
Take Ownership - Check the permissions of the file or folder the file is
saved in and take ownership:

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you
have.

To open a file, you need to have read permission. For more information on
permissions, see What are permissions?

http://tinyurl.com/2j9vgr

To take ownership of a folder:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this
folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK
***
***
Drivers - Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows
***

Malke