Does Vista Upgrade - not

Terry

Does Vista Upgrade - not
Hello I had purchased a new computer with Vista home on it and found out I
had to have some of the functionality of Vista Business. I installed Business
and found out that it did not perform an upgrade but installed an all new
version. Unfortunately I now find have to go to Ultimate. Before I go that
route I need to know if I am going to have to go through the pain of another
new install or will Vista do an upgrade from Business to Ultimate. If not
than I will not install Ultimate and I'll make due with Business.
--
Thanks
Dwarf

RE: Does Vista Upgrade - not
Hi Terry,

The Ultimate version combines all feature of the Business and Home editions,
so you can upgrade to it from either of these versions. However, to move from
the Business version to the Home version (or vice-versa), you will need to do
a clean install (as you discovered). This is because both of these versions
have features which are exclusive to that version, and you only get the full
set of features covering both versions in the Ultimate edition.
Dwarf

"Terry" wrote:

> Hello I had purchased a new computer with Vista home on it and found out I
> had to have some of the functionality of Vista Business. I installed Business
> and found out that it did not perform an upgrade but installed an all new
> version. Unfortunately I now find have to go to Ultimate. Before I go that
> route I need to know if I am going to have to go through the pain of another
> new install or will Vista do an upgrade from Business to Ultimate. If not
> than I will not install Ultimate and I'll make due with Business.
> --
> Thanks

Kerry Brown

Re: Does Vista Upgrade - not
You should be able to upgrade from Business to Ultimate. Note that in order
to do an upgrade you have to start the process from your current OS. Boot to
Vista Business then insert the Vista Ultimate DVD. You should get an option
to upgrade during the install. If you boot from the DVD the upgrade option
won't be there.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience