Vista x64 sp1 hangs on stage 3 after 76%

Dani

Vista x64 sp1 hangs on stage 3 after 76%
I'm trying to install the sp1 on vista x64.
The machine is hp xw4400

Installation runs until stage 3 and hangs on 76%.
Restarting the computer just make it happen again (Stage 3, 76% and hangs...)

Any ideas ?

Dani

John Barnes

Re: Vista x64 sp1 hangs on stage 3 after 76%
What product are you using (retail, OEM, full, upgrade etc.) and what kind
of install are you doing. Stage 3 is where the drivers for the video card
drivers have caused many problems. Also other items like USB devices cause
problems. You don't say how long you wait, are you sure you are not
impatient? Some types of installs can take quite a long time. Remember to
collect the 64-bit drivers for each item requiring drivers that aren't in
Vista, like the MOBO etc. If you are doing a clean install, try adding the
driver for the video on the page where you select the location to install.

"Dani" <Dani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install the sp1 on vista x64.
> The machine is hp xw4400
>
> Installation runs until stage 3 and hangs on 76%.
> Restarting the computer just make it happen again (Stage 3, 76% and
> hangs...)
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Dani

Dani

Re: Vista x64 sp1 hangs on stage 3 after 76%
I think you are right...
I've restarted the computer in Safe Mode - and the installation continued
pass the 76% mark (probably b/c the bad "Driver" was disabled). yet.. at the
end I got a message that the service pack did not install correctly and the
computer went back to the previous position.

I'm not sure which driver caused the hang of the installation, but it looks
like no sp1 for me....

Dani

"John Barnes" wrote:

> What product are you using (retail, OEM, full, upgrade etc.) and what kind
> of install are you doing. Stage 3 is where the drivers for the video card
> drivers have caused many problems. Also other items like USB devices cause
> problems. You don't say how long you wait, are you sure you are not
> impatient? Some types of installs can take quite a long time. Remember to
> collect the 64-bit drivers for each item requiring drivers that aren't in
> Vista, like the MOBO etc. If you are doing a clean install, try adding the
> driver for the video on the page where you select the location to install.
>
> "Dani" <Dani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to install the sp1 on vista x64.
> > The machine is hp xw4400
> >
> > Installation runs until stage 3 and hangs on 76%.
> > Restarting the computer just make it happen again (Stage 3, 76% and
> > hangs...)
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> >
> > Dani

William McIlroy

Re: Vista x64 sp1 hangs on stage 3 after 76%
In another thread I complain about the exact same phenomenon and Mr. Barnes
asks "What's your problem?" and "You didn't let it finish." Baloney.
--
William McIlroy