Re: Clean install or Upgrade

titus12

Re: Clean install or Upgrade
Concerning the clean install, I should:

1. download Windows Easy Install for XP
2. burn settings, accounts, programs to CD
3. do clean install that will wipe my hard drive clean
4. use Easy Install to re-install my XP files and settings

I this the idea?

Thank you,
David

Brink

Re: Clean install or Upgrade

titus12;638444 Wrote:
> Concerning the clean install, I should:
>
> 1. download Windows Easy Install for XP
> 2. burn settings, accounts, programs to CD
> 3. do clean install that will wipe my hard drive clean
> 4. use Easy Install to re-install my XP files and settings
>
> I this the idea?
>
> Thank you,
> David

Hi David,

I'm not sure if I follow you. If you would like to do a clean install
with a Upgrade version of Vista, then this will show you how without
having to mess with XP.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...ade-vista.html

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
titus12

Re: Clean install or Upgrade
I want to reinstall back-up files of programs from XP unto a Vista clean
install and have them function as if I was still using XP. Sometimes when I
install an OS on a second drive, the programs on the other drive will not
work. I would have to reinstall them. Also the Add/Remove program in the
Control Panel will have nothing in it.

Thank you,
David

"Brink" <Brink.35xa5z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> titus12;638444 Wrote:
>> Concerning the clean install, I should:
>>
>> 1. download Windows Easy Install for XP
>> 2. burn settings, accounts, programs to CD
>> 3. do clean install that will wipe my hard drive clean
>> 4. use Easy Install to re-install my XP files and settings
>>
>> I this the idea?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> David

> Hi David,
>
> I'm not sure if I follow you. If you would like to do a clean install
> with a Upgrade version of Vista, then this will show you how without
> having to mess with XP.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...ade-vista.html
>
> Hope this helps you,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink

> '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

Brink

Re: Clean install or Upgrade

titus12;638557 Wrote:
> I want to reinstall back-up files of programs from XP unto a Vista clean
> install and have them function as if I was still using XP. Sometimes
> when I
> install an OS on a second drive, the programs on the other drive will
> not
> work. I would have to reinstall them. Also the Add/Remove program in
> the
> Control Panel will have nothing in it.
>
> Thank you,
> David
>

> "Brink" <Brink.35xa5z@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:Brink.35xa5z@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > titus12;638444 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if I follow you. If you would like to do a clean install
> > > with a Upgrade version of Vista, then this will show you how without
> > > having to mess with XP.
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...ade-vista.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps you,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.* > >

David,

If you still have XP installed with your programs, the easiest way
would be to just run the Vista installation from within XP. This way all
of your programs will remain intact with their data in Vista.
Afterwards, you can make backups in Vista for the data. This will be
easier to copy back into Vista if the need arises.

I suppose you could try to backup each program's data manually and add
it back manually after reinstalling them in Vista. However, there is no
guarantee that this will work if the program has issues with Vista, or
Vista uses a different location to store the programs data.

I hope this helps some,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Rick Rogers

Re: Clean install or Upgrade
Hi,

You cannot migrate a program in that fashion. Either you upgrade and migrate
them, or you (re)install them from their original installation media after
performing a clean install of the operating system.

There is a reason programs use installer files. In addition to creating and
populating the program folder, the installation routine also does some or
all of the following: create needed registry entries, place support files in
system folders, create user settings, add to or adjust system variables, add
to or adjust services, and create startup entries as needed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org