Installation of Vista SP1 Will NOT Complete

William McIlroy

Installation of Vista SP1 Will NOT Complete
I downloaded
en_windows_vista_enterprise_with_service_pack_1_x6 4_dvd_x14-55934.iso and
burned it to a DVD. Then I ran SETUP.EXE on a 64-bit Vista system. The
installation ran as an UPGRADE for hours. Literally hours. When I awakened
in the morning, the computer was stalled in the cleanup phase of
installation. I power cycled the computer. Vista decided the Upgrade was a
failure and reverted to the state before the Upgrade started. I see no
reason for this behavior.
--
William McIlroy

William McIlroy

RE: Installation of Vista SP1 Will NOT Complete
The failure of Vista SP1 to perform an upgrade on my computer has elicited
ZERO interest from "The Community" and less from that Redmond Company. So, I
guess I will run that DVD thru the shredder and approach the problem from a
different angle. The official SP1 is planned for delivery to the masses of
Vista users during the next 3-5 weeks via Windows Update. I'm wondering
whether Windows Update will properly patch my system despite the fact that
I'm running Service Pack 1.v.668. Am I supposed to attempt removal of that?
Or will Windows Update cope? Anybody out there?
--
William McIlroy

"William McIlroy" wrote:

> I downloaded
> en_windows_vista_enterprise_with_service_pack_1_x6 4_dvd_x14-55934.iso and
> burned it to a DVD. Then I ran SETUP.EXE on a 64-bit Vista system. The
> installation ran as an UPGRADE for hours. Literally hours. When I awakened
> in the morning, the computer was stalled in the cleanup phase of
> installation. I power cycled the computer. Vista decided the Upgrade was a
> failure and reverted to the state before the Upgrade started. I see no
> reason for this behavior.
> --
> William McIlroy

John Barnes

Re: Installation of Vista SP1 Will NOT Complete
What's your problem. You didn't let it finish and it rolled back. Hit the
Windows and PauseBreak keys and if it doesn't say Service Pack 1 under
Windows version, you have nothing to uninstall and WU should handle the
update just fine.

"William McIlroy" <WilliamMcIlroy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:75AD449D-F513-4D43-94E7-3102D0415BE0@microsoft.com...
> The failure of Vista SP1 to perform an upgrade on my computer has elicited
> ZERO interest from "The Community" and less from that Redmond Company.
> So, I
> guess I will run that DVD thru the shredder and approach the problem from
> different angle. The official SP1 is planned for delivery to the masses
> of
> Vista users during the next 3-5 weeks via Windows Update. I'm wondering
> whether Windows Update will properly patch my system despite the fact that
> I'm running Service Pack 1.v.668. Am I supposed to attempt removal of
> that?
> Or will Windows Update cope? Anybody out there?
> --
> William McIlroy
>

> "William McIlroy" wrote:
>
>> I downloaded
>> en_windows_vista_enterprise_with_service_pack_1_x6 4_dvd_x14-55934.iso and
>> burned it to a DVD. Then I ran SETUP.EXE on a 64-bit Vista system. The
>> installation ran as an UPGRADE for hours. Literally hours. When I
>> awakened
>> in the morning, the computer was stalled in the cleanup phase of
>> installation. I power cycled the computer. Vista decided the Upgrade
>> was a
>> failure and reverted to the state before the Upgrade started. I see no
>> reason for this behavior.
>> --
>> William McIlroy

William McIlroy

Re: Installation of Vista SP1 Will NOT Complete
Yep. It's all my fault. I didn't let it finish. Why didn't I think of
that? Eight hours from start to reboot and no disk activity is a sure sign
that Vista is busy installing.

The version of SP1 that I have installed is the one that was released some
time ago for BETA testing. The version of SP1 that I intend to install is
the one that Microsoft will release via Windows Update around April 1, 2008.

If you put a dead chicken in a paper bag and swing it over your head under a
full moon at midnight, maybe, just maybe, Vista SP1 will perform an upgrade
for you. More likely, you'll have to settle for wiping your disk clean,
install Vista, and reinstall all your apps.
--
William McIlroy

"John Barnes" wrote:

> What's your problem. You didn't let it finish and it rolled back. Hit the
> Windows and PauseBreak keys and if it doesn't say Service Pack 1 under
> Windows version, you have nothing to uninstall and WU should handle the
> update just fine.
>
> "William McIlroy" <WilliamMcIlroy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:75AD449D-F513-4D43-94E7-3102D0415BE0@microsoft.com...
> > The failure of Vista SP1 to perform an upgrade on my computer has elicited
> > ZERO interest from "The Community" and less from that Redmond Company.
> > So, I
> > guess I will run that DVD thru the shredder and approach the problem from
> > different angle. The official SP1 is planned for delivery to the masses
> > of
> > Vista users during the next 3-5 weeks via Windows Update. I'm wondering
> > whether Windows Update will properly patch my system despite the fact that
> > I'm running Service Pack 1.v.668. Am I supposed to attempt removal of
> > that?
> > Or will Windows Update cope? Anybody out there?
> > --
> > William McIlroy
> >

> > "William McIlroy" wrote:
> >
> >> I downloaded
> >> en_windows_vista_enterprise_with_service_pack_1_x6 4_dvd_x14-55934.iso and
> >> burned it to a DVD. Then I ran SETUP.EXE on a 64-bit Vista system. The
> >> installation ran as an UPGRADE for hours. Literally hours. When I
> >> awakened
> >> in the morning, the computer was stalled in the cleanup phase of
> >> installation. I power cycled the computer. Vista decided the Upgrade
> >> was a
> >> failure and reverted to the state before the Upgrade started. I see no
> >> reason for this behavior.
> >> --
> >> William McIlroy

iminsf

Re: Installation of Vista SP1 Will NOT Complete
Not that I'm a big fan of M$ and the way they do things nor am i a fan of
VISTA since my system ran sooo much better and faster on XP and I'm
encountering my own blue screens of deaths trying to apply SP1 but and I'm
not sure if you found the answer or not but yes, according to all the beta
info I read it was clearly stated it will have to be uninstalled before any
attempt to install the final release of SP1.