SP1?

John Barnett MVP

Re: SP1?
SP1 will be downloaded automatically when it is released. Obviously you can
prevent it from downloading and installing by turning off Windows Updates,
but as there are plenty of performance enhancements and fixes for earlier
bugs then it is certainly worth installing. A point worth noting is that, if
you are already fully updated with all of the current windows updates SP1
will 'only' download and install those updates that Windows Vista needs.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Christopher A. Shipe" <cashipe@icubed.com> wrote in message
> How do I know if I need SP1 on my computer?

Dustin Harper

Re: SP1?
SP1 is a bunch of Microsoft fixes and patches rolled into one big package.
When it's ready, it will be updated via Windows Update (depending on your
settings). You are better off having it installed on your PC than without.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Christopher A. Shipe" <cashipe@icubed.com> wrote in message
> How do I know if I need SP1 on my computer?

Christopher A. Shipe

SP1?
How do I know if I need SP1 on my computer?
Martin Racette

Re: SP1?
But we still lose the search feature of Vista, which the most usefull
feature of the whole OS, and there is noway to restore it back without
removing SP1

Why Did Microsoft removed it for everyone, they should just put the option
to remove it for those that do not want it

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> SP1 is a bunch of Microsoft fixes and patches rolled into one big package.
> When it's ready, it will be updated via Windows Update (depending on your
> settings). You are better off having it installed on your PC than without.
>
> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "Christopher A. Shipe" <cashipe@icubed.com> wrote in message
>> How do I know if I need SP1 on my computer?

--
Thank You in Advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

Dustin Harper

Re: SP1?
It wasn't removed. It was just given the choice to replace it with a
different vendor (Google, for example). But, it is still there and works
great.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But we still lose the search feature of Vista, which the most usefull
> feature of the whole OS, and there is noway to restore it back without
> removing SP1
>
> Why Did Microsoft removed it for everyone, they should just put the option
> to remove it for those that do not want it
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> SP1 is a bunch of Microsoft fixes and patches rolled into one big
>> package. When it's ready, it will be updated via Windows Update
>> (depending on your settings). You are better off having it installed on
>> your PC than without.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "Christopher A. Shipe" <cashipe@icubed.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I know if I need SP1 on my computer?

> --
> Thank You in Advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: SP1?
Martin

It was not removed?

The only thing related to search that was removed is the Search item on the
right click context menu and this can be easily replaced.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But we still lose the search feature of Vista, which the most usefull
> feature of the whole OS, and there is noway to restore it back without
> removing SP1
>
> Why Did Microsoft removed it for everyone, they should just put the option
> to remove it for those that do not want it
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> SP1 is a bunch of Microsoft fixes and patches rolled into one big
>> package. When it's ready, it will be updated via Windows Update
>> (depending on your settings). You are better off having it installed on
>> your PC than without.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "Christopher A. Shipe" <cashipe@icubed.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I know if I need SP1 on my computer?

> --
> Thank You in Advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Martin Racette

Re: SP1?
But from what I have heard, the icon to access it in the startup menu, is
not there any more, so it can not be access as it used to, you need to
access it through a folder, which limits your search options

--
Thank You in Advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: SP1?
The SP1 update removes the Search icon from the Start Menu and the Right
Click context menu.

You can easily recover most of these options by performing the following.

Go to Start and type, regedit In the results, click Regedit. This will
open the registry editor.

Navigate to the following Key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find

In the right hand pane, locate the 'LegacyDisable' value.
Right click this value and select Delete.

This will add the Search item back to the right click context menu.

You can now right click the Start Button and select Search.

Here are more ways that you can access the search window.

Press WinKey+F
Click the task bar and press F3 on the keyboard.
Open a Windows Explorer window and type search-ms: in the address bar and
press Enter.
Open a Windows Explorer window and hit F3.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> But from what I have heard, the icon to access it in the startup menu, is
> not there any more, so it can not be access as it used to, you need to
> access it through a folder, which limits your search options
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> It wasn't removed. It was just given the choice to replace it with a
>> different vendor (Google, for example). But, it is still there and works
>> great.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> But we still lose the search feature of Vista, which the most usefull
>>> feature of the whole OS, and there is noway to restore it back without
>>> removing SP1
>>>
>>> Why Did Microsoft removed it for everyone, they should just put the
>>> option to remove it for those that do not want it
>>>
>>> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message

>>> --
>>> Thank You in Advance
>>> Merci a l'avance
>>>
>>> Martin

> --
> Thank You in Advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Martin Racette

Re: SP1?
But why did they removed the icon on the right-hand side of the menu, it is
the only way to really open the search folder, I tried all the other way
that you suggested and I'm stuck to only the drive C:, and I have 5 other
HDD in my computer that I need to search since they are the one that
contains all my data

--
Thank You in Advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: SP1?
Martin

When you open Search, click the Advanced search icon on the top/right side
of the window. You can select the drive and all the other options there.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP