Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninstall

TimAlsop

Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninstall
When I double click on the .exe to install SP1 I immediately get:

"Windows Vista Service Pack 1 cannot be installed on your computer because
the language of Windows Vista you have installed is not supported or you have
installed a language pack that is not supported. Windows Vista Service Pack 1
can only be installed on computers running the English, French, German,
Japanese and Spanish versions of Windows Vista or computers running these
language packs."

Maybe SP1 now supports more languages (once it is installed), but the
installer does not work correctly when Romanian lang pack is installed, so I
need to find a way to remove it.

If I try to remove the language pack using the normal "Install or Uninstall
Display Languages" dialog, it looks like it is being uninstalled, as the
green bar moves from 0 to 100% to show progress, and then I get:

"All selected language files failed to be removed"
"Failed removals"

I have rebooted many times and also tried uninstalling in safe mode. I have
also tried uninstalling using the “hidden administrator” account and still
get same problem.

Can you help ?
cfelix

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninstall
Additional languageas to the five stated will be available in April.

TimAlsop

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
Hi,

I prefer if I can install SP1 before April, since I have an urgent need to
test a fix which is included only in SP1.

Surely there must be a way to uninstall a language pack that is not
required, e.g. removing entries from registry, deleting files etc. ?

Thanks,
Tim

"cfelix" wrote:

> Additional languageas to the five stated will be available in April.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
Hello,
You may want to try this:
To uninstall the all language packs, try doing this via Control Panel,
Regional and Language Options "install or uninstall display languages"
Choose the uninstall button and check the boxes of the language packs you
wish to remove.
English, German, French, Spanish and Japanese should not need to be removed
for the Service Pack to be installed.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?VGltQWxzb3A=?= <TimAlsop@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't
uninst
|> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 05:07:03 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Hi,
|>
|> I prefer if I can install SP1 before April, since I have an urgent need
|> test a fix which is included only in SP1.
|>
|> Surely there must be a way to uninstall a language pack that is not
|> required, e.g. removing entries from registry, deleting files etc. ?
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Tim
|>
|> "cfelix" wrote:
|>
|> > Additional languageas to the five stated will be available in April.

TimAlsop

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
Darrell,

That is exactly what I have been doing when I try to uninstall the lang
pack, but it does not work. I have rebooted before doing this, tried using
the hidden administrator, and so I am stuck, and this is why I opened this
thread.

I have seen a few hot fixes mentioned, e.g.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947506 that may be related to my problem,
but the fixes only seem to be available for x86 version of Vista, and I am
using x64 version :-(

Thanks,
Tim

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> You may want to try this:
> To uninstall the all language packs, try doing this via Control Panel,
> Regional and Language Options "install or uninstall display languages"
> Choose the uninstall button and check the boxes of the language packs you
> wish to remove.
> English, German, French, Spanish and Japanese should not need to be removed
> for the Service Pack to be installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?VGltQWxzb3A=?= <TimAlsop@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |> Subject: RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't
> uninst
> |> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 05:07:03 -0800
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |> Hi,
> |>
> |> I prefer if I can install SP1 before April, since I have an urgent need
> |> test a fix which is included only in SP1.
> |>
> |> Surely there must be a way to uninstall a language pack that is not
> |> required, e.g. removing entries from registry, deleting files etc. ?
> |>
> |> Thanks,
> |> Tim

TimAlsop

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
Some more info - As a test I installed French and German language packs, and
I was able to uninstall them, but for some reason the Romanian lang pack will
not install. It looks like there is something wrong with the romanian lang
pack on my system and the uninstaller fails when it finds something strange,
so I am left with a system that I cannot upgrade to SP1.

In my previous post I mentioned hotfix 947506, which does relate to corrupt
lang packs that won't uninstall, but the fix seems to be available as x86
only - can you help me get an x64 fix for this issue ?

Thanks again,
Tim

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> You may want to try this:
> To uninstall the all language packs, try doing this via Control Panel,
> Regional and Language Options "install or uninstall display languages"
> Choose the uninstall button and check the boxes of the language packs you
> wish to remove.
> English, German, French, Spanish and Japanese should not need to be removed
> for the Service Pack to be installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?VGltQWxzb3A=?= <TimAlsop@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |> Subject: RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't
> uninst
> |> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 05:07:03 -0800
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |> Hi,
> |>
> |> I prefer if I can install SP1 before April, since I have an urgent need
> |> test a fix which is included only in SP1.
> |>
> |> Surely there must be a way to uninstall a language pack that is not
> |> required, e.g. removing entries from registry, deleting files etc. ?
> |>
> |> Thanks,
> |> Tim

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
Hello Tim
I need to see the following logs
c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.persist.log
c:\windowsupdate.log

Compress them and send to me
Darrellg @ online. microsoft.com
Remove the online before sending
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?VGltQWxzb3A=?= <TimAlsop@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't
uninst
|> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:02:02 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Some more info - As a test I installed French and German language packs,
and
|> I was able to uninstall them, but for some reason the Romanian lang pack
will
|> not install. It looks like there is something wrong with the romanian
lang
|> pack on my system and the uninstaller fails when it finds something
strange,
|> so I am left with a system that I cannot upgrade to SP1.
|>
|> In my previous post I mentioned hotfix 947506, which does relate to
corrupt
|> lang packs that won't uninstall, but the fix seems to be available as
x86
|> only - can you help me get an x64 fix for this issue ?
|>
|> Thanks again,
|> Tim
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello,
|> > You may want to try this:
|> > To uninstall the all language packs, try doing this via Control Panel,
|> > Regional and Language Options "install or uninstall display languages"

|> > Choose the uninstall button and check the boxes of the language packs
you
|> > wish to remove.
|> > English, German, French, Spanish and Japanese should not need to be
removed
|> > for the Service Pack to be installed.
|> >
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------
|> > uninst

April.

TimAlsop

RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
Darrell,

I have sent you an email as requested.

Thanks,
Tim

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Tim
> I need to see the following logs
> c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
> c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.persist.log
> c:\windowsupdate.log
>
> Compress them and send to me
> Darrellg @ online. microsoft.com
> Remove the online before sending
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?VGltQWxzb3A=?= <TimAlsop@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |> Subject: RE: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't
> uninst
> |> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:02:02 -0700
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |> Some more info - As a test I installed French and German language packs,
> and
> |> I was able to uninstall them, but for some reason the Romanian lang pack
> will
> |> not install. It looks like there is something wrong with the romanian
> lang
> |> pack on my system and the uninstaller fails when it finds something
> strange,
> |> so I am left with a system that I cannot upgrade to SP1.
> |>
> |> In my previous post I mentioned hotfix 947506, which does relate to
> corrupt
> |> lang packs that won't uninstall, but the fix seems to be available as
> x86
> |> only - can you help me get an x64 fix for this issue ?
> |>
> |> Thanks again,
> |> Tim

> you
> removed

> rights
> won't

> need

> April.

arzkkr@gmail.com

Re: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
On Mar 11, 3:09*am, TimAlsop <TimAl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Darrell,
>
> I have sent you an email as requested.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>

> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
> > Hello Tim
> > I need to see the following logs
> > c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
> > c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.persist.log
> > c:\windowsupdate.log

> > Compress them and send to me
> > Darrellg @ online. microsoft.com
> > Remove the online before sending
> > Thanks,
> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> > --------------------
> > uninst

> > and
> > will
> > lang
> > strange,

> > corrupt
> > x86

> > you
> > removed

> > rights
> > won't

> > need

> > April.

Any update on this? V
TimAlsop

Re: Cannot install Vista SP1 - Romanian language pack won't uninst
no update - I am still not able to uninstall the romanian language pack. I
think it is somehow corrupt and the uninstall procedure is failing, so until
I can uninstall this lang pack I cannot apply sp1 :-(