How to delete folder from the command prompt?

Jack

How to delete folder from the command prompt?
Hello,
In the old good days there was a 'deltree' command (DOS & Win98) to delete
folder with subfolders from the command line.
Now, I need that to do in Vista.
How to do that?
Jack

Jack

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
Forgot to add.
I am right now starring at command prompt produced by Vista DVD installation
disk in repair mode.
I have access to that DVD and to c:\Windows folder which is XP windows.
Jack

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> In the old good days there was a 'deltree' command (DOS & Win98) to delete
> folder with subfolders from the command line.
> Now, I need that to do in Vista.
> How to do that?
> Jack

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
C:\Users\Keith>rd /?
Removes (deletes) a directory.

RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path

/S Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a directory
tree.

/Q Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with /S

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

> Forgot to add.
> I am right now starring at command prompt produced by Vista DVD
> installation disk in repair mode.
> I have access to that DVD and to c:\Windows folder which is XP windows.
> Jack
>
> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> In the old good days there was a 'deltree' command (DOS & Win98) to
>> delete folder with subfolders from the command line.
>> Now, I need that to do in Vista.
>> How to do that?
>> Jack

R. C. White

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
Hi, Jack.

How about: rd /s

Rd is Remove Directory, of course, and the /s switch removes all the
subfolders, too. As usual in the Command Prompt window (which we old-timers
still call the "DOS window" even though we know it's not really DOS), type
the command followed by /? for what I call a mini-Help file that shows the
switches and parameters available with the command. Rd offers only a
couple: /s and /q.

It's a little surprising - to me, at least - that rd won't work if there are
files in the folder, but rd /s will.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> In the old good days there was a 'deltree' command (DOS & Win98) to delete
> folder with subfolders from the command line.
> Now, I need that to do in Vista.
> How to do that?
> Jack

Jack

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
That removes only empty folders!
Jack

" Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
> C:\Users\Keith>rd /?
> Removes (deletes) a directory.
>
> RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
> RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
>
> /S Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
> in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a
> directory
> tree.
>
> /Q Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with /S
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>> Forgot to add.
>> I am right now starring at command prompt produced by Vista DVD
>> installation disk in repair mode.
>> I have access to that DVD and to c:\Windows folder which is XP windows.
>> Jack
>>
>> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> In the old good days there was a 'deltree' command (DOS & Win98) to
>>> delete folder with subfolders from the command line.
>>> Now, I need that to do in Vista.
>>> How to do that?
>>> Jack

Jack

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
Thanks.
I have tried rd and rmdir and both told me that folders are not empty.
Stupid me, forgot about switches!
Jack

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Jack.
>
> How about: rd /s
>
> Rd is Remove Directory, of course, and the /s switch removes all the
> subfolders, too. As usual in the Command Prompt window (which we
> old-timers still call the "DOS window" even though we know it's not really
> DOS), type the command followed by /? for what I call a mini-Help file
> that shows the switches and parameters available with the command. Rd
> offers only a couple: /s and /q.
>
> It's a little surprising - to me, at least - that rd won't work if there
> are files in the folder, but rd /s will.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> In the old good days there was a 'deltree' command (DOS & Win98) to
>> delete folder with subfolders from the command line.
>> Now, I need that to do in Vista.
>> How to do that?
>> Jack

Jack

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
sorry, forgot about switches!

> That removes only empty folders!
> Jack
>
> " Keith Miller (MVP)" <k.miller@NOSPAM.mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> C:\Users\Keith>rd /?
>> Removes (deletes) a directory.
>>
>> RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
>> RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
>>
>> /S Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
>> in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a
>> directory
>> tree.
>>
>> /Q Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with
>> /S
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>>> Forgot to add.
>>> I am right now starring at command prompt produced by Vista DVD
>>> installation disk in repair mode.
>>> I have access to that DVD and to c:\Windows folder which is XP windows.
>>> Jack

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: How to delete folder from the command prompt?
Glad to help.