Dumb XP Virtual Machine within Vista Question

Jay Somerset

Dumb XP Virtual Machine within Vista Question
If I install XP as a virtual machine under Vista, will XP still
overwrite the MBR on the system drive or is the entire XP boot process
virualized?

Any difference using VirtualBox, VMware, etc.?
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
mb76

Re: Dumb XP Virtual Machine within Vista Question

Having just done it using Virtual PC 2007, I can confirm that the entire
XP installation is virtualised.
Only problem I've got is the only XP disk I have is SP1, currently
installing 61 updates and no sign of SP2 yet!

--
mb76
Paul Smith

"Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I install XP as a virtual machine under Vista, will XP still
> overwrite the MBR on the system drive or is the entire XP boot process
> virualized?

The whole thing is virtualized, the only hard disk it'll be able to see is
the virtual hard disk it creates, which is just a file on your real file
system.

> Any difference using VirtualBox, VMware, etc.?

They all work the same way as far as I know.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Rick Rogers

Re: Dumb XP Virtual Machine within Vista Question
Hi,

Everything is virtualized. A benefit of some of the other products is that
some include support for USB peripherals. Virtual PC does not.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I install XP as a virtual machine under Vista, will XP still
> overwrite the MBR on the system drive or is the entire XP boot process
> virualized?
>
> Any difference using VirtualBox, VMware, etc.?
> --
> Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

DevilsPGD

Re: Dumb XP Virtual Machine within Vista Question
In message <mb76.35viz1@no-mx.forums.net> mb76
<mb76.35viz1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Having just done it using Virtual PC 2007, I can confirm that the entire
>XP installation is virtualised.
>Only problem I've got is the only XP disk I have is SP1, currently
>installing 61 updates and no sign of SP2 yet!

You're probably going about that backward, if you install the service
pack first you'll probably find a lot less updates needed.
Jay Somerset

Re: Dumb XP Virtual Machine within Vista Question
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:18:30 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Everything is virtualized. A benefit of some of the other products is that
>some include support for USB peripherals. Virtual PC does not.

Thanks to you and the others who responded.
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)