Clean install or Upgrade

titus12

Clean install or Upgrade
I have XP Home on my computer, and it works great. Should i do a clean
install for best results? The only problem would be reinstalling many
programs. I am unsure about the back-up and reinstalling method, and
getting the programs to work as they did in XP.

Thank you,
David

Mick Murphy

RE: Clean install or Upgrade
If you are wondering about programs that work in XP, working in vista; it
makes NO difference whether you upgrade or do a clean install!

The programs end up in Vista!!! Xp will be gone, however you do it!!!

Clean install you have to reinstall ALL your programs; any that are
incompatible with vista, you can install in XP SP2 mode, which works a lot of
the time.

I always do clean installs, as they are neat and complete.
You wipe the old, and install the operating system as it should be installed.
Disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard, bsfore
installation.
you can use windows Easy Transfer(few probs with it), or save data to mem
stick, CD, or exteranl drive
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"titus12" wrote:

> I have XP Home on my computer, and it works great. Should i do a clean
> install for best results? The only problem would be reinstalling many
> programs. I am unsure about the back-up and reinstalling method, and
> getting the programs to work as they did in XP.
>
> Thank you,
> David

Rick Rogers

Re: Clean install or Upgrade
Hi David,

>I have XP Home on my computer, and it works great.

So why are you upgrading? IS there something Vista offers that you need, or
is a "because it's there" type of thing? Sometimes, upgrading doesn't make
sense.

> Should i do a clean install for best results?

Opinions vary. Mine is always to upgrade first and see how it goes. If it's
successful, then you will have much of your programs, settings, and
customizations ported for you. If it doesn't work out so well, you can
always go back do the format/clean install thing. Before upgrading,
uninstall incompatible programs and antivirus/antispyware software, make
sure there are drivers available for all hardware, and detach unnecessary
peripherals.

> The only problem would be reinstalling many programs. I am unsure about
> the back-up and reinstalling method, and getting the programs to work as
> they did in XP.

Check with the vendor for each program. Some will port over fine. Some will
require a patch or update. Some will require an entirely new version.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"titus12" <titus12@msn.com> wrote in message

> Thank you,
> David

titus12

Re: Clean install or Upgrade
Concerning the clean install, I should:

1. download Windows Easy Install for XP
2. burn settings, accounts, programs to CD
3. do clean install that will wipe my hard drive clean
4. use Easy Install to re-install my XP files and settings

I this the idea?

Thank you,
David