Cannot change screen resolution

DGardner

Cannot change screen resolution
I have just upgraded my PC to Vista from XP and purchased a new monitor,
capable of supporting 1440 x 900 resolution. Problem is that the screen
resolution cannot be changed and is fixed at 640 x 480. I've tried via the
settings in the control panel but I cannot drag the mouse on the slider bar
from low to high resolution.

The online help suggests I may have an inadequate video card, Does anyone
know how I can check this? What card do I have now and what do I need?

Or is there another solution?

Would appreciate some help!

Thanks
--
DG, Scotland UK
James Kosin

Re: Cannot change screen resolution
DGardner wrote:
> I have just upgraded my PC to Vista from XP and purchased a new monitor,
> capable of supporting 1440 x 900 resolution. Problem is that the screen
> resolution cannot be changed and is fixed at 640 x 480. I've tried via the
> settings in the control panel but I cannot drag the mouse on the slider bar
> from low to high resolution.
>
> The online help suggests I may have an inadequate video card, Does anyone
> know how I can check this? What card do I have now and what do I need?
>
> Or is there another solution?
>
> Would appreciate some help!
>
> Thanks

Get to the Device Manager and look at the properties for your video
card. You should be able to see most of the information you need there.
Then, you have to go to the web-site for the manufacturer and lookup
the supported video modes.

James
DGardner

Re: Cannot change screen resolution
James, thks for responding. But to be clear, when you say manufacturer do
you mean HP (the PC maker) or Microsoft (Vista)?
--
DG, Scotland UK

"James Kosin" wrote:

> DGardner wrote:
> > I have just upgraded my PC to Vista from XP and purchased a new monitor,
> > capable of supporting 1440 x 900 resolution. Problem is that the screen
> > resolution cannot be changed and is fixed at 640 x 480. I've tried via the
> > settings in the control panel but I cannot drag the mouse on the slider bar
> > from low to high resolution.
> >
> > The online help suggests I may have an inadequate video card, Does anyone
> > know how I can check this? What card do I have now and what do I need?
> >
> > Or is there another solution?
> >
> > Would appreciate some help!
> >
> > Thanks

> Get to the Device Manager and look at the properties for your video
> card. You should be able to see most of the information you need there.
> Then, you have to go to the web-site for the manufacturer and lookup
> the supported video modes.
>
> James

Mick Murphy

Re: Cannot change screen resolution
Go to HP's site; it is nothing to do with microsoft.
Look up your computer model number, and see if there are any updates from HP.

In your case, you would be much better taking your computer to a computer
technician, before you get yourself in over your head.
My advice; take it or leave it!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"DGardner" wrote:

> James, thks for responding. But to be clear, when you say manufacturer do
> you mean HP (the PC maker) or Microsoft (Vista)?
> --
> DG, Scotland UK
>

> "James Kosin" wrote:
>
> > DGardner wrote:
> > > I have just upgraded my PC to Vista from XP and purchased a new monitor,
> > > capable of supporting 1440 x 900 resolution. Problem is that the screen
> > > resolution cannot be changed and is fixed at 640 x 480. I've tried via the
> > > settings in the control panel but I cannot drag the mouse on the slider bar
> > > from low to high resolution.
> > >
> > > The online help suggests I may have an inadequate video card, Does anyone
> > > know how I can check this? What card do I have now and what do I need?
> > >
> > > Or is there another solution?
> > >
> > > Would appreciate some help!
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > Get to the Device Manager and look at the properties for your video
> > card. You should be able to see most of the information you need there.
> > Then, you have to go to the web-site for the manufacturer and lookup
> > the supported video modes.
> >
> > James

Hobo

Re: Cannot change screen resolution
Have you installed the .INF file for your new monitor? If
not, go to the monitor manufacturer's site and download the
driver file for it and install it. Also, make sure the
monitor is set to 'native mode'.

Hobo

DGardner wrote:

> I have just upgraded my PC to Vista from XP and purchased a new monitor,
> capable of supporting 1440 x 900 resolution. Problem is that the screen
> resolution cannot be changed and is fixed at 640 x 480. I've tried via the
> settings in the control panel but I cannot drag the mouse on the slider bar
> from low to high resolution.
>
> The online help suggests I may have an inadequate video card, Does anyone
> know how I can check this? What card do I have now and what do I need?
>
> Or is there another solution?
>
> Would appreciate some help!
>
> Thanks

John Barnes

Re: Cannot change screen resolution
Find the video driver that is Vista compatible. If this is on the MOBO,
look on the mfg site. If it is a known card from nVidia or ATI, etc. go to
their site and download the correct driver for the video card for Vista.