Where can I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Media?

Nags

Where can I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Media?
Hi, I bought a new laptop with 4 GB RAM and Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS.
I believe I should be able to update to 64 bit Vista ultimate version.

But I do not know where to get the media from?

The laptop company where I bought my laptop they do not have 64 bit Vista
Ultimate version.

Also why does 32-bit Ultimate can not address more than 3GB? Is that a
limitation?

Thanks
--
Nags
PMcGarr

Re: Where can I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Media?

'Windows Vista Alternate Media'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx)

4GB is the limitation of 32 bit OS, though mileage may vary. Usually
you see anywhere from 3 to 3.5GB. 64 bit OS will see virtually
unlimited.

Paul

--
PMcGarr

case: antec p182
psu: corsair 750tx
mobo: asus maximus formula
cpu: intel q6600
ram: 8gb ocz ddr2 800mhz
vga: sapphire radeon hd3870 512mb
tv: sapphire theatrix 650pro
hdd: 2x wd caviar 250gb sata (raid 0)
hdd: 3x wd caviar 500gb sata (raid 5)
os: vista ultimate 64bit
John Barnes

Re: Where can I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Media?
Since you have an OEM version you will have to purchase either a retail or
OEM version from a computer store. Online, NewEgg.com is a reliable place in
the US. You will have to do a clean install as there is no way for you to
upgrade between 32-bit and 64-bit. Make sure you can get 64-bit drivers for
the laptop as if you don't have them. Do some research and see if you will
get any benefits from it. For 32-bit systems, some of the addressed memory
is reserved for such as the PCI bus devices as well as video so it is not
available to programs. Your 32-bit programs don't care anyway. Almost no
one using a laptop is doing the kind of processing that has 64-bit programs
for them.

"Nags" <Nags@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I bought a new laptop with 4 GB RAM and Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
> OS.
> I believe I should be able to update to 64 bit Vista ultimate version.
>
> But I do not know where to get the media from?
>
> The laptop company where I bought my laptop they do not have 64 bit Vista
> Ultimate version.
>
> Also why does 32-bit Ultimate can not address more than 3GB? Is that a
> limitation?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Nags

Nags

Re: Where can I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Media?
I usually develop bunch of prototypes on my laptop. I instantiate several
Eclipse instances. I run DB server, J2EE application Server, LDAP server and
other while developing my prototypes. Hence I need larger memory foortprint.

Sometime I might need to run 2 instances of J2EE server.

Do you think I can do all that with 32 bit OS?

--
Nags

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Since you have an OEM version you will have to purchase either a retail or
> OEM version from a computer store. Online, NewEgg.com is a reliable place in
> the US. You will have to do a clean install as there is no way for you to
> upgrade between 32-bit and 64-bit. Make sure you can get 64-bit drivers for
> the laptop as if you don't have them. Do some research and see if you will
> get any benefits from it. For 32-bit systems, some of the addressed memory
> is reserved for such as the PCI bus devices as well as video so it is not
> available to programs. Your 32-bit programs don't care anyway. Almost no
> one using a laptop is doing the kind of processing that has 64-bit programs
> for them.
>

> "Nags" <Nags@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I bought a new laptop with 4 GB RAM and Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
> > OS.
> > I believe I should be able to update to 64 bit Vista ultimate version.
> >
> > But I do not know where to get the media from?
> >
> > The laptop company where I bought my laptop they do not have 64 bit Vista
> > Ultimate version.
> >
> > Also why does 32-bit Ultimate can not address more than 3GB? Is that a
> > limitation?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Nags

John Barnes

Re: Where can I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Media?
I am using Vista64 and have no problems, however I have been using 64-bit
for 2 1/2 years and have bought all my hardware and software with that in
mind. You should make sure you can get the drivers for anything from the
MOBO and peripherals you intend to use. 64-bit drivers are alot more
available for Vista than they have been for XP64. Make sure any programs
you plan to run are also 64-bit compatible. A surprising number aren't, so
check with your vendors ahead of time. As to whether they will all run in
32-bit, install them and see if they do. No one can tell you ahead of time.
Check your Systems and Performance monitor. If you have no major problems
with hardware and software, go for it.