ctr alt del after post

Bryan

ctr alt del after post
Well here is what happened. I was having fun with the partitions (I just
found the partitioning system in Vista its very neat). Anyways I kinda made a
new partition and installed a fresh copy of windows on it, planning to
replace my old one. I booted up the new one played around a bit and got off,
and booted up the old partition.
This is where the problem starts I'm in the old partition and back playing
around in the partition stuff again. This time trying to make the new
partition bigger, well I shrink the old one but it won't let me expand the
old one so there is a blank partition now sitting there. When I click the new
one (with vista installed on it) I see make active partition so I click it,
it says something like warning this may cause failure if there isn't an
bootable sorce on here or something like that so I'm like yea sure. ****I
reboot the computer the bios post then after that is says
"ssing"
"s ctr alt del"

Now I'm pretty sure part of it is cut off, so I don't know what the rest
says I can only guess it says 'NTLDR is missing. press ctr alt del"
but that is just a guess.

From there I'm lost because I try to boot from the Vista CD and it still
gets the same error. (changing bios to boot from CD, and yes the CD is in the
drive.)

So how do I kinda you know make this work again or even just reinstall
windows.

Thank you in advance.
Peace Bryan (I will post any new information I find out)
John Barnes

Re: ctr alt del after post
Make your original partition active again.

"Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well here is what happened. I was having fun with the partitions (I just
> found the partitioning system in Vista its very neat). Anyways I kinda
> made a
> new partition and installed a fresh copy of windows on it, planning to
> replace my old one. I booted up the new one played around a bit and got
> off,
> and booted up the old partition.
> This is where the problem starts I'm in the old partition and back playing
> around in the partition stuff again. This time trying to make the new
> partition bigger, well I shrink the old one but it won't let me expand the
> old one so there is a blank partition now sitting there. When I click the
> new
> one (with vista installed on it) I see make active partition so I click
> it,
> it says something like warning this may cause failure if there isn't an
> bootable sorce on here or something like that so I'm like yea sure. ****I
> reboot the computer the bios post then after that is says
> "ssing"
> "s ctr alt del"
>
> Now I'm pretty sure part of it is cut off, so I don't know what the rest
> says I can only guess it says 'NTLDR is missing. press ctr alt del"
> but that is just a guess.
>
> From there I'm lost because I try to boot from the Vista CD and it still
> gets the same error. (changing bios to boot from CD, and yes the CD is in
> the
> drive.)
>
> So how do I kinda you know make this work again or even just reinstall
> windows.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Peace Bryan (I will post any new information I find out)

Bryan

Re: ctr alt del after post
How do I do that if it just stops after it posts? And I cant get it to boot
from hard drive or CD?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Make your original partition active again.
>
> "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well here is what happened. I was having fun with the partitions (I just
> > found the partitioning system in Vista its very neat). Anyways I kinda
> > made a
> > new partition and installed a fresh copy of windows on it, planning to
> > replace my old one. I booted up the new one played around a bit and got
> > off,
> > and booted up the old partition.
> > This is where the problem starts I'm in the old partition and back playing
> > around in the partition stuff again. This time trying to make the new
> > partition bigger, well I shrink the old one but it won't let me expand the
> > old one so there is a blank partition now sitting there. When I click the
> > new
> > one (with vista installed on it) I see make active partition so I click
> > it,
> > it says something like warning this may cause failure if there isn't an
> > bootable sorce on here or something like that so I'm like yea sure. ****I
> > reboot the computer the bios post then after that is says
> > "ssing"
> > "s ctr alt del"
> >
> > Now I'm pretty sure part of it is cut off, so I don't know what the rest
> > says I can only guess it says 'NTLDR is missing. press ctr alt del"
> > but that is just a guess.
> >
> > From there I'm lost because I try to boot from the Vista CD and it still
> > gets the same error. (changing bios to boot from CD, and yes the CD is in
> > the
> > drive.)
> >
> > So how do I kinda you know make this work again or even just reinstall
> > windows.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Peace Bryan (I will post any new information I find out)

Mick Murphy

Re: ctr alt del after post
Take it to a professional computer Technician; you are way out of your depth
here!
After you have paid money, you will learn to leave well enough alone!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bryan" wrote:

> How do I do that if it just stops after it posts? And I cant get it to boot
> from hard drive or CD?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > Make your original partition active again.
> >
> > "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Well here is what happened. I was having fun with the partitions (I just
> > > found the partitioning system in Vista its very neat). Anyways I kinda
> > > made a
> > > new partition and installed a fresh copy of windows on it, planning to
> > > replace my old one. I booted up the new one played around a bit and got
> > > off,
> > > and booted up the old partition.
> > > This is where the problem starts I'm in the old partition and back playing
> > > around in the partition stuff again. This time trying to make the new
> > > partition bigger, well I shrink the old one but it won't let me expand the
> > > old one so there is a blank partition now sitting there. When I click the
> > > new
> > > one (with vista installed on it) I see make active partition so I click
> > > it,
> > > it says something like warning this may cause failure if there isn't an
> > > bootable sorce on here or something like that so I'm like yea sure. ****I
> > > reboot the computer the bios post then after that is says
> > > "ssing"
> > > "s ctr alt del"
> > >
> > > Now I'm pretty sure part of it is cut off, so I don't know what the rest
> > > says I can only guess it says 'NTLDR is missing. press ctr alt del"
> > > but that is just a guess.
> > >
> > > From there I'm lost because I try to boot from the Vista CD and it still
> > > gets the same error. (changing bios to boot from CD, and yes the CD is in
> > > the
> > > drive.)
> > >
> > > So how do I kinda you know make this work again or even just reinstall
> > > windows.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > > Peace Bryan (I will post any new information I find out)

Bryan

Re: ctr alt del after post
Alright here is the solution I have it running now. First it took a little
work with the BIOS. At first I was just changing the boot order on the BIOS,
which didn't help because it still used the hard drive instead of the CD
drive. Well, the reason was in my BIOS there is a section where is has the
devices listed as slave and master for the CD drives and the just a single
master for the hard drive (SATA-300) well in that section you can change up
the hard drive settings so it doesn't read as a mater. This allowed me to
then boot from a CD. So I booted the Vista CD. From there I hit repair it
immediately recognized that the wrong partition was selected as active and
fixed it. But after that I was still not done, I go to boot and I get to the
windows loading screen and it crashes. So I try in safe mode still crashes,
try in last known good configuration and it works. So if you ever have this
problem there you go that is what you do to fix it.

BTW the post before this was both unhelpful and insulting, if I leave the
system alone I'll never learn now will I. But since you still took the time
to post a response I thank you and had I not fixed it by the end of today I
would have taken your advice and gone to a professional.

Also Thank you to anyone else that posted.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Take it to a professional computer Technician; you are way out of your depth
> here!
> After you have paid money, you will learn to leave well enough alone!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Bryan" wrote:
>
> > How do I do that if it just stops after it posts? And I cant get it to boot
> > from hard drive or CD?
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> > > Make your original partition active again.

HighNoon

Re: ctr alt del after post
I agree 100% with you when you say "...if I leave the
system alone I'll never learn now will I...." That is one of the most basic
and most effective ways to learn something, i.e., try something then fixing
it if something is broken. You walk away with two things, knowledge of how to
do what you were trying to do plus additional knowledge gained through fixing
the problem that can be used later on. I think your willingness to try this
approach is commendable. Now if you had been whining about something being
broke, that would have been a different story, but I did not see any whining
in your request for help. I do not believe I could have been as polite as
your were in dealing with the previous post. I forget sometimes that in
public forums such as this anyone can respond. Unfortunately, this includes
those that never had to learn anything and get help, instead they apparently
think they were born with that knowledge. Ahhh, to be a God such as these
folks think they are would be nice.