drive d:

Stephen Petrowski

drive d:
I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a partion drive I tried to assess the second
partion drive but every time it will load it will bring up a blank screen
and with the mouse curser what should I do?

Mick Murphy

RE: drive d:
Of course it won't access it; it is the recovery partition for your computer!

If your system, vista, fails, you press an F Key at startup to start the
reinstall of the recovery partition(the thing you can't open). At bottom of
screen will tell you which Key at boot.

Also, you should make recovery DVDs from it, in case your hard drive fails
altogether.

Read a manual for your computer, or look at Dell's website, or contact Dell
on how to make recovery disks.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Stephen Petrowski" wrote:

> I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a partion drive I tried to assess the second
> partion drive but every time it will load it will bring up a blank screen
> and with the mouse curser what should I do?

John Barnett MVP

Re: drive d:
The D: drive partition probably hold the image backup copy of your operating
system. As the files may be hidden that I why the screen is blank. It is
best not to mess with this partition. If you format it or delete it you will
lose the copy of Vista which your machine relies upon to perform a recovery.
Check your Dell manual for recovering your system.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a partion drive I tried to assess the
>second partion drive but every time it will load it will bring up a blank
>screen and with the mouse curser what should I do?

Stephen Petrowski

Re: drive d:
every time I press the f key and I ask it to go to the menue for the
recovery partition it is blank
"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> The D: drive partition probably hold the image backup copy of your
> operating system. As the files may be hidden that I why the screen is
> blank. It is best not to mess with this partition. If you format it or
> delete it you will lose the copy of Vista which your machine relies upon
> to perform a recovery. Check your Dell manual for recovering your system.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a partion drive I tried to assess the
>>second partion drive but every time it will load it will bring up a blank
>>screen and with the mouse curser what should I do?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: drive d:
> every time I press the f key and I ask it to go to the menue for the
> recovery partition it is blank
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> The D: drive partition probably hold the image backup copy of your
>> operating system. As the files may be hidden that I why the screen is
>> blank. It is best not to mess with this partition. If you format it or
>> delete it you will lose the copy of Vista which your machine relies upon
>> to perform a recovery. Check your Dell manual for recovering your system.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>
>> "Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>>I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a partion drive I tried to assess the
>>>second partion drive but every time it will load it will bring up a blank
>>>screen and with the mouse curser what should I do?

You may have to change a setting in BIOS to gain access to the function.
This is done to prevent accidental destructive recoveries.. Contact Dell
support..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Stephen Petrowski

Re: drive d:

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> every time I press the f key and I ask it to go to the menue for the
>> recovery partition it is blank
>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> The D: drive partition probably hold the image backup copy of your
>>> operating system. As the files may be hidden that I why the screen is
>>> blank. It is best not to mess with this partition. If you format it or
>>> delete it you will lose the copy of Vista which your machine relies upon
>>> to perform a recovery. Check your Dell manual for recovering your
>>> system.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> John Barnett MVP
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>>
>>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>>>
>>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
>>> any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
>>> accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
>>> be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
>>> arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
>>> expressed in this mail/post..
>>>
>>> "Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>>

> You may have to change a setting in BIOS to gain access to the function.
> This is done to prevent accidental destructive recoveries.. Contact Dell
> support..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

where in the bios do i have to change?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: drive d:

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
>> "Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> every time I press the f key and I ask it to go to the menue for the
>>> recovery partition it is blank
>>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> You may have to change a setting in BIOS to gain access to the function.
>> This is done to prevent accidental destructive recoveries.. Contact Dell
>> support..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> How to construct a good post..
>> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
>> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>>

> where in the bios do i have to change?

I just had the feeling you were going to ask that. You really need to
contact Dell support for this info.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..