Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?

Homer J. Simpson

Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
Hi all,

I'm investigating a strange problem on behalf of a family member...he's got
a brand new HP laptop, less than a month old, that came preloaded with Vista
Home Premium (I believe--I don't have access to the laptop at this very
moment).

He's been spending a fair amount of time trading emails with the tech
support group of a company making some software he's been trying to install
since he got his laptop. They've finally identified the problem as his
laptop missing two files, msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll, from his system32
folder. I find that *very* strange, since, as far as I can tell, all
Windows versions in recent years have shipped with these files--or at least
msvcrt.dll--and my thought is that there's a lot of Windows components that
would be broken without it.

I don't have a Vista machine or Vista discs so I can't verify this for
myself, but can anyone confirm whether a *clean* Vista (32-bit) machine
includes those files or not under their system32 folder?

.Joe

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?

Homer J. Simpson;635673 Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm investigating a strange problem on behalf of a family member...he's
> got
> a brand new HP laptop, less than a month old, that came preloaded with
> Vista
> Home Premium (I believe--I don't have access to the laptop at this very
> moment).
>
> He's been spending a fair amount of time trading emails with the tech
> support group of a company making some software he's been trying to
> install
> since he got his laptop. They've finally identified the problem as his
> laptop missing two files, msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll, from his system32
> folder. I find that *very* strange, since, as far as I can tell, all
> Windows versions in recent years have shipped with these files--or at
> least
> msvcrt.dll--and my thought is that there's a lot of Windows components
> that
> would be broken without it.
>
> I don't have a Vista machine or Vista discs so I can't verify this for
> myself, but can anyone confirm whether a *clean* Vista (32-bit) machine
> includes those files or not under their system32 folder?

You'll need the Vista DVD to do a clean install of the OS.

More information about doing a clean install can be found here:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...ion-vista.html

Let us know if this was helpful to you.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Dave

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
I did a clean re-install of VHP on Feb 17
and I have both of those files in C:\Windows\System32
they are both dated 11/02/2006

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

> Hi all,
>
> I'm investigating a strange problem on behalf of a family member...he's
> got a brand new HP laptop, less than a month old, that came preloaded with
> Vista Home Premium (I believe--I don't have access to the laptop at this
> very moment).
>
> He's been spending a fair amount of time trading emails with the tech
> support group of a company making some software he's been trying to
> install since he got his laptop. They've finally identified the problem
> as his laptop missing two files, msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll, from his
> system32 folder. I find that *very* strange, since, as far as I can tell,
> all Windows versions in recent years have shipped with these files--or at
> least msvcrt.dll--and my thought is that there's a lot of Windows
> components that would be broken without it.
>
> I don't have a Vista machine or Vista discs so I can't verify this for
> myself, but can anyone confirm whether a *clean* Vista (32-bit) machine
> includes those files or not under their system32 folder?

Jack

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
What kind of answer is that Joe??????
Do not reply next time if you do not know the answer.
Save some bandwidth.
Jack

".Joe" <Joe.35t690@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Homer J. Simpson;635673 Wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm investigating a strange problem on behalf of a family member...he's
>> got
>> a brand new HP laptop, less than a month old, that came preloaded with
>> Vista
>> Home Premium (I believe--I don't have access to the laptop at this very
>> moment).
>>
>> He's been spending a fair amount of time trading emails with the tech
>> support group of a company making some software he's been trying to
>> install
>> since he got his laptop. They've finally identified the problem as his
>> laptop missing two files, msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll, from his system32
>> folder. I find that *very* strange, since, as far as I can tell, all
>> Windows versions in recent years have shipped with these files--or at
>> least
>> msvcrt.dll--and my thought is that there's a lot of Windows components
>> that
>> would be broken without it.
>>
>> I don't have a Vista machine or Vista discs so I can't verify this for
>> myself, but can anyone confirm whether a *clean* Vista (32-bit) machine
>> includes those files or not under their system32 folder?

> You'll need the Vista DVD to do a clean install of the OS.
>
> More information about doing a clean install can be found here:
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...ion-vista.html
>
> Let us know if this was helpful to you.
>

> --
> Joe
>
> _[image:
> http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png]
> (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
> _CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_

Homer J. Simpson

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
>I did a clean re-install of VHP on Feb 17
> and I have both of those files in C:\Windows\System32
> they are both dated 11/02/2006

Thanks Dave. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.

I have a question though--have you installed any other software on that
machine since reinstalling Vista itself? I need to be absolutely,
positively certain, and if any third-party app includes the Visual C++
runtime distributables, then this could be where those files are from.
Sorry to sound anal about it, normally I'd try to find these answers for
myself and would take the time to do a clean install (for example) in a
virtual machine, but I don't have any Vista discs.

Dave

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
Yes, I've installed all of my programs since then.... sorry.

--

>>I did a clean re-install of VHP on Feb 17
>> and I have both of those files in C:\Windows\System32
>> they are both dated 11/02/2006

> Thanks Dave. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.
>
> I have a question though--have you installed any other software on that
> machine since reinstalling Vista itself? I need to be absolutely,
> positively certain, and if any third-party app includes the Visual C++
> runtime distributables, then this could be where those files are from.
> Sorry to sound anal about it, normally I'd try to find these answers for
> myself and would take the time to do a clean install (for example) in a
> virtual machine, but I don't have any Vista discs.

Jack

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
I did not install any programs yet and there are these files in \System32
folder.
I have Vista Home Premium.
Jack

> >I did a clean re-install of VHP on Feb 17
>> and I have both of those files in C:\Windows\System32
>> they are both dated 11/02/2006

> Thanks Dave. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.
>
> I have a question though--have you installed any other software on that
> machine since reinstalling Vista itself? I need to be absolutely,
> positively certain, and if any third-party app includes the Visual C++
> runtime distributables, then this could be where those files are from.
> Sorry to sound anal about it, normally I'd try to find these answers for
> myself and would take the time to do a clean install (for example) in a
> virtual machine, but I don't have any Vista discs.

Mick Murphy

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and ms
Homer, it would be much simpler if you told us what the error message was
when trying to install the program!!!
Not waffling on about what some Help desk has said about a problem?????????!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Homer J. Simpson" wrote:

> >I did a clean re-install of VHP on Feb 17
> > and I have both of those files in C:\Windows\System32
> > they are both dated 11/02/2006

> Thanks Dave. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.
>
> I have a question though--have you installed any other software on that
> machine since reinstalling Vista itself? I need to be absolutely,
> positively certain, and if any third-party app includes the Visual C++
> runtime distributables, then this could be where those files are from.
> Sorry to sound anal about it, normally I'd try to find these answers for
> myself and would take the time to do a clean install (for example) in a
> virtual machine, but I don't have any Vista discs.

DL

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
I believe they are both win system files

> >I did a clean re-install of VHP on Feb 17
>> and I have both of those files in C:\Windows\System32
>> they are both dated 11/02/2006

> Thanks Dave. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.
>
> I have a question though--have you installed any other software on that
> machine since reinstalling Vista itself? I need to be absolutely,
> positively certain, and if any third-party app includes the Visual C++
> runtime distributables, then this could be where those files are from.
> Sorry to sound anal about it, normally I'd try to find these answers for
> myself and would take the time to do a clean install (for example) in a
> virtual machine, but I don't have any Vista discs.

Homer J. Simpson

Re: Does a *clean* installation of Vista include msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll?
>I did not install any programs yet and there are these files in \System32
>folder.
> I have Vista Home Premium.
> Jack

Thanks Jack.