just formatted my PC and can't re-activate

=?Utf-8?B?dGluZ2x5?=

just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
Hi,

I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
re-activate.

Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning activation
please)

Thank you very much
John Barnett MVP

Re: just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
If it won't activate online then your only other option is to phone the
activation line. It is a free phone (toll free) number so it isn't going to
cost you anything. Just remember you need to be in front of your PC during
your conversation with microsoft activation.

I have to admit, though, that i have reformatted my hard drive three times
since October 2006 and re-installed Vista three times. On each occasion i
activated over the internet without any problem.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
> re-activate.
>
> Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning
> activation
> please)
>
> Thank you very much

=?Utf-8?B?dGluZ2x5?=

Re: just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
Can u explain what might be the causes that prevent my comp from being able
to re-activate?

Could it be the change of hardware?

However, I also want to know the tricks, as when you said u have
re-activated ur vista three times without any problem.

Thank u very much

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> If it won't activate online then your only other option is to phone the
> activation line. It is a free phone (toll free) number so it isn't going to
> cost you anything. Just remember you need to be in front of your PC during
> your conversation with microsoft activation.
>
> I have to admit, though, that i have reformatted my hard drive three times
> since October 2006 and re-installed Vista three times. On each occasion i
> activated over the internet without any problem.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
> > re-activate.
> >
> > Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning
> > activation
> > please)
> >
> > Thank you very much

Richard Urban

Re: just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
Seeing as how you have to send something to Microsoft to activate, and they
in turn send something back to you, if you can't do it via the internet you
only have one other option - the phone. You can't do this by carrier pigeon
or smoke signals.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
> re-activate.
>
> Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning
> activation
> please)
>
> Thank you very much

John Barnett MVP

Re: just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
Changing the hardware wouldn't stop it activating. It would throw up a
message (depending upon what hardware was changed) to say you need to
re-activate, but it is unlikely that it would prevent activation.

As for 'tricks' there are no tricks. I simply re-installed Vista it told me
it needed activating, i went online and the activation process did what it
had to do and the system activated. At one point, while testing to see if
one could do a repair install by actually 'upgrading' over the original, i
upgraded and, as the machine rebooted, a message appeared telling me that my
copy of Vista wasn't genuine. This meant that i couldn't even get to the
desktop. In this case, i simply clicked on the activate now option (remember
i had no internet connection setup at this point) i create an internet
account, connected and windows activated.

The easiest solution is to attempt an online activation again. If it is
refused click the telephone option and make a note of the free phone number
and then call the automated activation line. You will be asked to tap in a
series of numbers via your telephone keypad (well that's how it works in XP,
anyway. I haven't had cause to use phone activation fro vista). In return
you will be given a set of numbers to type into the product code dialogue
box on your computer screen. If it still doesn't activate then the automated
service will pass you over to a 'real' person who will guide you through the
process.

--

> Can u explain what might be the causes that prevent my comp from being
> able
> to re-activate?
>
> Could it be the change of hardware?
>
> However, I also want to know the tricks, as when you said u have
> re-activated ur vista three times without any problem.
>
> Thank u very much
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> If it won't activate online then your only other option is to phone the
>> activation line. It is a free phone (toll free) number so it isn't going
>> cost you anything. Just remember you need to be in front of your PC
>> during
>> your conversation with microsoft activation.
>>
>> I have to admit, though, that i have reformatted my hard drive three
>> times
>> since October 2006 and re-installed Vista three times. On each occasion i
>> activated over the internet without any problem.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
>> > re-activate.
>> >
>> > Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning
>> > activation
>> > please)
>> >
>> > Thank you very much

toyota1600

Re: just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
I installed Home Premium and love it. So I decided to reformat the hard
drive to get rid of all other junk. Reinstalled Home Premium and it
activated over internet without problems.
You mention hardware change. If you changed some hardware at same time
then you will need to activate over the phone.

Gilbert

"tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can u explain what might be the causes that prevent my comp from being
> able
> to re-activate?
>
> Could it be the change of hardware?
>
> However, I also want to know the tricks, as when you said u have
> re-activated ur vista three times without any problem.
>
> Thank u very much
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> If it won't activate online then your only other option is to phone the
>> activation line. It is a free phone (toll free) number so it isn't going
>> cost you anything. Just remember you need to be in front of your PC
>> during
>> your conversation with microsoft activation.
>>
>> I have to admit, though, that i have reformatted my hard drive three
>> times
>> since October 2006 and re-installed Vista three times. On each occasion i
>> activated over the internet without any problem.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
>> > re-activate.
>> >
>> > Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning
>> > activation
>> > please)
>> >
>> > Thank you very much

=?Utf-8?B?UHVmZm5zdHVmZg==?=

Re: just formatted my PC and can't re-activate
LOL. Anyway I've had to reactivate 3 times already and I'm about to do a
hardware change. I'm hoping that since I'm sticking with the nforce chipset
that removing all of the mb specific drivers before I swap mb's and cpu's
will allow it to reboot. I'm running ultimate retail so I shouldn't have any
problems. If push comes to shove I'll do a clean install however I'm trying
to avoid that right now.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Seeing as how you have to send something to Microsoft to activate, and they
> in turn send something back to you, if you can't do it via the internet you
> only have one other option - the phone. You can't do this by carrier pigeon
> or smoke signals.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "tingly" <tingly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just formatted my PC and install Vista again but this time I can't
> > re-activate.
> >
> > Please tell me what do I need to re-activate it? (Not by phoning
> > activation
> > please)
> >
> > Thank you very much

windows not activating