Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install

Frenchtrails

Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install

I guess I am on install attempt 10 or more now.
To set the stage here the Vista Advisor found no issues.
None.

You get that?

Clean Install on a blank Seagate 320 SATA drive (yeah yeah yeah, I know
Vista seems to hate SATA drives) with an Upgrade Vista Business DVD.

I started getting through the "Windows Loading," (that took some
interesting peripheral gymnastics, and a lot of time)
I got through the hanging green and blue curtain (hung there once too,)
But here is my favorite......

The DVD drive that got me thus far,
The one through which all was loaded and run,
Vista asks for a driver for it!

Ok, but NEC doesn't have drivers for the NEC 3550 A (its a plug and
play)
Believe me I checked.
Vista offers no options of its own,
in fact the "browse for a driver" comes up with a grey box with no
options, or buttons or text.

So I can go back and forth between Vista having no suggestions, and
Browse to nowhere.
You can't proceed, and there are no options.

I reloaded XP Pro to make certain that the very latest firmware was on
the DVD drive and the newest BIOS is on the motherboard (an Intel
DG965SS running a Core 2 Duo CPU) even though both are absolutely brand
spanking new.

Now I am using the XP Pro disk to reformat the SATA drive so I can make
yet one more Quixotic attept to clean install this deeply flawed animal.

Why do I need to be so reliant on XP to make any headway whatsoever
with a clean install on Vista?
Like that makes sense.

Any ideas or encouragement would be helpful.
I am feeling like the money and time invested in Vista was probably one
of the lousiest ideas I've had in 2007 at this point.

At least on Adam's Starship Titanic you could wander around and hear
Terry Jones voice amidst the pointlessness.

* * * * * * * *

"at the heart of our galaxy, an advanced civilization of which we know
nothing has built the biggest, most beautiful starship ever: the
starship titanic. On its maiden voyage, the biggest, most beautiful,
most technologically advanced interstellar Etherliner ever built
unexpectedly crashes. Into your house."

--
Frenchtrails
Frenchtrails

Re: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install

I am running out of ideas, patience, and time.
Right now I am installing XP Pro yet again.

Question is:
Do I dare upgrade to Vista in XP Pro?
Do I stay in XP Pro land till Vista SP1 comes out?

Frenchtrails

--
Frenchtrails
Manuel Nonaca

Re: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install
It took me two attempts to get Vista Ultimate to work and I installed
(upgrade) a system (Hyper threading processor) that is older than yours. My
take on your problem is to go for it........don't let the machine beat you!

Content and happy with Vista...................

--
Manuel Nonaca
MIS/M University of Phoenix Online

"Frenchtrails" <Frenchtrails.2n7p3v@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I am running out of ideas, patience, and time.
> Right now I am installing XP Pro yet again.
>
> Question is:
> Do I dare upgrade to Vista in XP Pro?
> Do I stay in XP Pro land till Vista SP1 comes out?
>
> Frenchtrails
>

> --
> Frenchtrails

Frenchtrails

Re: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install

Well, encouraged by Manuel's words, and deluded by lack of sleep, I take
the last several hours of getting a solid XP Pro install and toss it
into the wind.

Vista install, were going to try this one more time.

--
Frenchtrails
Frenchtrails

Re: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install

Well I can't get it to activate or register, but she is up and running.

Thanks Manuel!

Frenchtrails

--
Frenchtrails
Manuel Nonaca

Re: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install
I believe you should not have any problems with activating Vista (dial-up
method)!

Good Luck and Enjoy Vista

--

"Frenchtrails" <Frenchtrails.2n823i@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Well I can't get it to activate or register, but she is up and running.
>
> Thanks Manuel!
>
> Frenchtrails
>

> --
> Frenchtrails

Dustin Harper

Re: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install
You might try using the IDE motherboard drivers. Sometimes, it asks for the
driver for the disk drive, when it actually needs the IDE controller
drivers. It did that on my laptop.

Also, the NEC 3550A works great here with no drivers.

Good luck!

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Frenchtrails" <Frenchtrails.2n7o7i@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I guess I am on install attempt 10 or more now.
> To set the stage here the Vista Advisor found no issues.
> None.
>
> You get that?
>
> Clean Install on a blank Seagate 320 SATA drive (yeah yeah yeah, I know
> Vista seems to hate SATA drives) with an Upgrade Vista Business DVD.
>
> I started getting through the "Windows Loading," (that took some
> interesting peripheral gymnastics, and a lot of time)
> I got through the hanging green and blue curtain (hung there once too,)
> But here is my favorite......
>
> The DVD drive that got me thus far,
> The one through which all was loaded and run,
> Vista asks for a driver for it!
>
> Ok, but NEC doesn't have drivers for the NEC 3550 A (its a plug and
> play)
> Believe me I checked.
> Vista offers no options of its own,
> in fact the "browse for a driver" comes up with a grey box with no
> options, or buttons or text.
>
> So I can go back and forth between Vista having no suggestions, and
> Browse to nowhere.
> You can't proceed, and there are no options.
>
> I reloaded XP Pro to make certain that the very latest firmware was on
> the DVD drive and the newest BIOS is on the motherboard (an Intel
> DG965SS running a Core 2 Duo CPU) even though both are absolutely brand
> spanking new.
>
> Now I am using the XP Pro disk to reformat the SATA drive so I can make
> yet one more Quixotic attept to clean install this deeply flawed animal.
>
> Why do I need to be so reliant on XP to make any headway whatsoever
> with a clean install on Vista?
> Like that makes sense.
>
> Any ideas or encouragement would be helpful.
> I am feeling like the money and time invested in Vista was probably one
> of the lousiest ideas I've had in 2007 at this point.
>
> At least on Adam's Starship Titanic you could wander around and hear
> Terry Jones voice amidst the pointlessness.
>
> * * * * * * * *
>
> "at the heart of our galaxy, an advanced civilization of which we know
> nothing has built the biggest, most beautiful starship ever: the
> starship titanic. On its maiden voyage, the biggest, most beautiful,
> most technologically advanced interstellar Etherliner ever built
> unexpectedly crashes. Into your house."
>

> --
> Frenchtrails

RohitV

RE: Vista is a Douglas Adams S. Titanic in install
Hi Guys:
I have a similar problem. The system specs are approximately the same as
"Frenchtrails"
a Core 2 Duo @ 2.66Ghz with 2GB RAM and a SATA HDD and Intel DG965WH
Motherboard.
THe install goes on and finishes with no issues and I am even able to
register it. But after the 1st shutdown.. god only knows what happens to it.
It JUST doesn't want to come back on at all. In the middle of the boot
sequence it will show a blue screen and just die on me. Then it restarts
(itself) and then goes into this loop of dying and restarting .. even SAfe
Mode or LKGC doesn't seem to work.

Anyone else having the same issue!?!?!?
Any words of wisdom?!?!?!?

-RohitV.