Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008
Bill Bradley
 

Posts: n/a
Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
I'm going to upgrade or do a new install of VISTA Ultimate on my Dell XPS 600.

It will do either 32 or 64 bit (32 bit NVIDIA chipset and Intel CPU), and,
I'm wondering if I want to do 64-bit, mainly for the RAM (being able to use
more than 2-4 GB (I can use up to 8 GB on that MB)).

What's the pros and cons--should I just stick with 32?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008
DL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
Depends whether the rest of your hw supports 64, and for what software you
plan to use that can utilise the ram

"Bill Bradley" <BillBradley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E2176E76-D762-4F6E-8463-B32B2E20E890@microsoft.com...
> I'm going to upgrade or do a new install of VISTA Ultimate on my Dell XPS
> 600.
>
> It will do either 32 or 64 bit (32 bit NVIDIA chipset and Intel CPU), and,
> I'm wondering if I want to do 64-bit, mainly for the RAM (being able to
> use
> more than 2-4 GB (I can use up to 8 GB on that MB)).
>
> What's the pros and cons--should I just stick with 32?
>
> Thanks!



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008
JW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
Adding Ram does little or nothing for system performance except during the
boot process unless you are running applications such as video editors or
format conversion programs that use a lot of memory. I have 2GB of Ram and
use less then half of while running Live TV, and 3 other programs that
stream updates from the internet at short intervals in addition to office
programs such as Word or Excel.
Not all Intel CPUs support 64 Bit operating systems. What Intel CPU do you
have?
Since you have a system that apparently came preloaded with Vista the
system's product key is only valid for the OS it came with.

"Bill Bradley" <BillBradley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E2176E76-D762-4F6E-8463-B32B2E20E890@microsoft.com...
> I'm going to upgrade or do a new install of VISTA Ultimate on my Dell XPS
> 600.
>
> It will do either 32 or 64 bit (32 bit NVIDIA chipset and Intel CPU), and,
> I'm wondering if I want to do 64-bit, mainly for the RAM (being able to
> use
> more than 2-4 GB (I can use up to 8 GB on that MB)).
>
> What's the pros and cons--should I just stick with 32?
>
> Thanks!


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008
JW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
Adding more memory will not improve the performance of your system except
during the boot process unless you are running applications such as
photo/video editors or video file format conversion programs. I use less
then 1/2 of the 2GB on my Vista 32 system when running LiveTV, 3 other apps
that download updates from the internet every few seconds along with apps
such as Word or Excel.
Not all Intel CPUs support 64 bit which one do you have?
The product key on your Vista system if only good for the 32 bit OS that the
system came with.
"Bill Bradley" <BillBradley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E2176E76-D762-4F6E-8463-B32B2E20E890@microsoft.com...
> I'm going to upgrade or do a new install of VISTA Ultimate on my Dell XPS
> 600.
>
> It will do either 32 or 64 bit (32 bit NVIDIA chipset and Intel CPU), and,
> I'm wondering if I want to do 64-bit, mainly for the RAM (being able to
> use
> more than 2-4 GB (I can use up to 8 GB on that MB)).
>
> What's the pros and cons--should I just stick with 32?
>
> Thanks!


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2008
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
JW

<The product key on your Vista system if only good for the 32 bit OS that
the
system came with.>

All Vista product keys support both the 32bit and 64bit operating systems.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
news16B204F-52E1-44B0-A90D-EA3750129C3C@microsoft.com...
> Adding more memory will not improve the performance of your system except
> during the boot process unless you are running applications such as
> photo/video editors or video file format conversion programs. I use less
> then 1/2 of the 2GB on my Vista 32 system when running LiveTV, 3 other
> apps that download updates from the internet every few seconds along with
> apps such as Word or Excel.
> Not all Intel CPUs support 64 bit which one do you have?
> The product key on your Vista system if only good for the 32 bit OS that
> the system came with.
> "Bill Bradley" <BillBradley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E2176E76-D762-4F6E-8463-B32B2E20E890@microsoft.com...
>> I'm going to upgrade or do a new install of VISTA Ultimate on my Dell XPS
>> 600.
>>
>> It will do either 32 or 64 bit (32 bit NVIDIA chipset and Intel CPU),
>> and,
>> I'm wondering if I want to do 64-bit, mainly for the RAM (being able to
>> use
>> more than 2-4 GB (I can use up to 8 GB on that MB)).
>>
>> What's the pros and cons--should I just stick with 32?
>>
>> Thanks!

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2008
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
I disagree JW is correct.
OEM product keys used by system builders do not support both 32 bit and 64
bit just like the OEM versions of Vista you can purchase from some stores
Only the retail upgrade or full versions product keys support either 32 bit
or 64 bit OS.
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:OBSsU57fIHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> JW
>
> <The product key on your Vista system if only good for the 32 bit OS that
> the
> system came with.>
>
> All Vista product keys support both the 32bit and 64bit operating systems.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> news16B204F-52E1-44B0-A90D-EA3750129C3C@microsoft.com...
>> Adding more memory will not improve the performance of your system except
>> during the boot process unless you are running applications such as
>> photo/video editors or video file format conversion programs. I use less
>> then 1/2 of the 2GB on my Vista 32 system when running LiveTV, 3 other
>> apps that download updates from the internet every few seconds along with
>> apps such as Word or Excel.
>> Not all Intel CPUs support 64 bit which one do you have?
>> The product key on your Vista system if only good for the 32 bit OS that
>> the system came with.
>> "Bill Bradley" <BillBradley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E2176E76-D762-4F6E-8463-B32B2E20E890@microsoft.com...
>>> I'm going to upgrade or do a new install of VISTA Ultimate on my Dell
>>> XPS 600.
>>>
>>> It will do either 32 or 64 bit (32 bit NVIDIA chipset and Intel CPU),
>>> and,
>>> I'm wondering if I want to do 64-bit, mainly for the RAM (being able to
>>> use
>>> more than 2-4 GB (I can use up to 8 GB on that MB)).
>>>
>>> What's the pros and cons--should I just stick with 32?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2008
DevilsPGD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
In message <C7EA5898-86AA-41A8-82FF-B36DF5BDCD67@microsoft.com>
"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>I disagree JW is correct.
>OEM product keys used by system builders do not support both 32 bit and 64
>bit just like the OEM versions of Vista you can purchase from some stores
>Only the retail upgrade or full versions product keys support either 32 bit
>or 64 bit OS.


I have 32-bit and 64-bit media here (both supplied with full licenses).

I tested using a Vista Ultimate x86 OEM key and x64 full media, and was
able to successfully install both x86 and x64 versions of Vista using
the same key.

So, with all due respect, you are incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2008
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
I don't quite understand.
Are you saying that you purchased an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit or 32 bit
Ultimate and that using the key that came with it you were able to install
to install the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of retail Vista Ultimate full
version so you did not have to use the key that came with the retail full
version?
If not could you please explain in a little more detail what you have been
able to do?
vi"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:eku0t35rgrs4ko1i1va8f39getbb05kvok@4ax.com...
> In message <C7EA5898-86AA-41A8-82FF-B36DF5BDCD67@microsoft.com>
> "Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>>I disagree JW is correct.
>>OEM product keys used by system builders do not support both 32 bit and 64
>>bit just like the OEM versions of Vista you can purchase from some stores
>>Only the retail upgrade or full versions product keys support either 32
>>bit
>>or 64 bit OS.

>
> I have 32-bit and 64-bit media here (both supplied with full licenses).
>
> I tested using a Vista Ultimate x86 OEM key and x64 full media, and was
> able to successfully install both x86 and x64 versions of Vista using
> the same key.
>
> So, with all due respect, you are incorrect.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2008
DevilsPGD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
In message <4F0DC0B0-FE71-4ACF-9836-13A77D5C7F21@microsoft.com>
"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>I don't quite understand.
>Are you saying that you purchased an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit or 32 bit
>Ultimate and that using the key that came with it you were able to install
>to install the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of retail Vista Ultimate full
>version so you did not have to use the key that came with the retail full
>version?
>If not could you please explain in a little more detail what you have been
>able to do?


Sure. In my possession I have the following media:

- Vista x86 DVD (action pack)
- Vista x86 DVD (Toshiba Laptop)
- Vista x64 DVD (action pack)

I have the following keys:

- Business Full/retail key (action pack)
- Ultimate x86 OEM key (Toshiba laptop)
- Ultimate x86 OEM key (OEM from Microsoft)

I currently have two machines installed on the Business key in x64, and
five in x86. All machines use the same retail-type key.

I have used both the x86 and x64 media to install Vista Ultimate on my
Toshiba laptop, in all cases using the OEM key on the sticker attached
to the bottom of my laptop without difficulty.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2008
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Should I go with VISAT Ultimate 64-bit
That's good news you have reported.
When I tried to order the 64bit version of VHP for my HP core 2 duo laptop
that came with 32 bid vista installed I got the message that my product code
was not qualified to for 64 bit Vista.
Also I have noticed that Dell charges about $100 for a laptop preconfigured
with 64 bit vista instead of 32 bit.
"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:4ri1t35imri8karqqsqvvbs9p5h8npi37p@4ax.com...
> In message <4F0DC0B0-FE71-4ACF-9836-13A77D5C7F21@microsoft.com>
> "Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>>I don't quite understand.
>>Are you saying that you purchased an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit or 32 bit
>>Ultimate and that using the key that came with it you were able to install
>>to install the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of retail Vista Ultimate full
>>version so you did not have to use the key that came with the retail full
>>version?
>>If not could you please explain in a little more detail what you have been
>>able to do?

>
> Sure. In my possession I have the following media:
>
> - Vista x86 DVD (action pack)
> - Vista x86 DVD (Toshiba Laptop)
> - Vista x64 DVD (action pack)
>
> I have the following keys:
>
> - Business Full/retail key (action pack)
> - Ultimate x86 OEM key (Toshiba laptop)
> - Ultimate x86 OEM key (OEM from Microsoft)
>
> I currently have two machines installed on the Business key in x64, and
> five in x86. All machines use the same retail-type key.
>
> I have used both the x86 and x64 media to install Vista Ultimate on my
> Toshiba laptop, in all cases using the OEM key on the sticker attached
> to the bottom of my laptop without difficulty.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Migrationsstrategie Home Premium 32-bit -> Ultimate 64-bit am gleichenPC, ggf. Dualboot Christian Sattler microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.sonstiges 6 11-22-2007 09:24
Vista Ultimate 64 Bit gekauft -- Downgrade auf 32 bit möglich? Daniel Albuschat microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.sonstiges 28 11-16-2007 01:36
retail Home Premium 32-bit to Ultimate 32-bit to Ultimate 64-bit. New to Vista microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 10-08-2007 19:26
Bought Danish upgrade of Windows Visat Ultimate Torben Vind microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 10-04-2007 14:01
Dual boot with windows XP Pro 64 Bit and Vista Ultimate 32 Bit Lee Steele microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-28-2007 21:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120