MS - Re-installing Vista

Dave

MS - Re-installing Vista
I have a PC running Vista Business. It will not successful run a repair, I
do not find an option (when I boot from the cd) to wipe it out and reload the
OS.

any suggestions on how I can do that?

--
Dave
Mike Brannigan

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
>I have a PC running Vista Business. It will not successful run a repair, I
> do not find an option (when I boot from the cd) to wipe it out and reload
> the
> OS.
>
> any suggestions on how I can do that?
>

> --
> Dave

Boot from the DVD and work you way through the setup there is an option to
perform and advanced setup and you can remove your current partitions and
reformat etc. at that point.
Is the setup actually running ? Did you watch the PC start and press a key
if/when prompted to to boot from CD/DVD?

--

Mike Brannigan

Dave

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
The setup does not run, I do press "any key" to boot from CD.
--
Dave

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a PC running Vista Business. It will not successful run a repair, I
> > do not find an option (when I boot from the cd) to wipe it out and reload
> > the
> > OS.
> >
> > any suggestions on how I can do that?
> >

> > --
> > Dave

> Boot from the DVD and work you way through the setup there is an option to
> perform and advanced setup and you can remove your current partitions and
> reformat etc. at that point.
> Is the setup actually running ? Did you watch the PC start and press a key
> if/when prompted to to boot from CD/DVD?
>

> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
So the PC boots and then tells you to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.
If you press a key before it finishes counting does this interrupt the dots
appearing and then fail or does it just count to the end of the time then
boot from your hard drive.
Also when your PC boots press whatever key your BIOS tells you to enter the
BIOS - if this does not work then you do not have a keyboard plugged in that
is supported during the boot process (possibly some USB one where you have
not enabled legacy USB support in the BIOS etc)
Check this out first before you assume setup is not running.
--

Mike Brannigan
> The setup does not run, I do press "any key" to boot from CD.
> --
> Dave
>

> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a PC running Vista Business. It will not successful run a
>> >repair, I
>> > do not find an option (when I boot from the cd) to wipe it out and
>> > reload
>> > the
>> > OS.
>> >
>> > any suggestions on how I can do that?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Dave

>> Boot from the DVD and work you way through the setup there is an option
>> perform and advanced setup and you can remove your current partitions and
>> reformat etc. at that point.
>> Is the setup actually running ? Did you watch the PC start and press a
>> key
>> if/when prompted to to boot from CD/DVD?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

Dave

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
I checked the setup and the USB settings are enabled. I didn't see anything
referring to keyboard. The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard.

When I just booted up in went right into setting windows up, it didn't give
the option to "press any key" to boot from the cd.

--
Dave

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> So the PC boots and then tells you to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.
> If you press a key before it finishes counting does this interrupt the dots
> appearing and then fail or does it just count to the end of the time then
> boot from your hard drive.
> Also when your PC boots press whatever key your BIOS tells you to enter the
> BIOS - if this does not work then you do not have a keyboard plugged in that
> is supported during the boot process (possibly some USB one where you have
> not enabled legacy USB support in the BIOS etc)
> Check this out first before you assume setup is not running.
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan
> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The setup does not run, I do press "any key" to boot from CD.
> > --
> > Dave
> >

> > "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
> >
> >> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Boot from the DVD and work you way through the setup there is an option
> >> perform and advanced setup and you can remove your current partitions and
> >> reformat etc. at that point.
> >> Is the setup actually running ? Did you watch the PC start and press a
> >> key
> >> if/when prompted to to boot from CD/DVD?
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
Dave if the hard disk is bare the it will automatically start setup - of you
have an OS already on eh hard disk it should ask you to press a key to boot
from CD/DVD.

Just what is the story here. What happens when you start the PC with the
DVD in the drive - do you see the press a key to boot from DVD message etc .

It is hard to help if you do not provide full details of everything that
happens.

--

Mike Brannigan
>I checked the setup and the USB settings are enabled. I didn't see
>anything
> referring to keyboard. The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard.
>
> When I just booted up in went right into setting windows up, it didn't
> give
> the option to "press any key" to boot from the cd.
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> So the PC boots and then tells you to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.
>> If you press a key before it finishes counting does this interrupt the
>> dots
>> appearing and then fail or does it just count to the end of the time then
>> boot from your hard drive.
>> Also when your PC boots press whatever key your BIOS tells you to enter
>> the
>> BIOS - if this does not work then you do not have a keyboard plugged in
>> that
>> is supported during the boot process (possibly some USB one where you
>> have
>> not enabled legacy USB support in the BIOS etc)
>> Check this out first before you assume setup is not running.
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan
>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The setup does not run, I do press "any key" to boot from CD.
>> > --
>> > Dave

Dave

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
Yesterday it asked me to press a key at start up, today it's going into
windows setup, but it won't go past where I put in the key code. It just
sits there.
That's why I tried a repair and it was unseccessful.

I haven't had any options to reformat or reset a partition.

--
Dave

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> Dave if the hard disk is bare the it will automatically start setup - of you
> have an OS already on eh hard disk it should ask you to press a key to boot
> from CD/DVD.
>
> Just what is the story here. What happens when you start the PC with the
> DVD in the drive - do you see the press a key to boot from DVD message etc .
>
> It is hard to help if you do not provide full details of everything that
> happens.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan
> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I checked the setup and the USB settings are enabled. I didn't see
> >anything
> > referring to keyboard. The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard.
> >
> > When I just booted up in went right into setting windows up, it didn't
> > give
> > the option to "press any key" to boot from the cd.
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> >

> > "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
> >
> >> So the PC boots and then tells you to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.
> >> If you press a key before it finishes counting does this interrupt the
> >> dots
> >> appearing and then fail or does it just count to the end of the time then
> >> boot from your hard drive.
> >> Also when your PC boots press whatever key your BIOS tells you to enter
> >> the
> >> BIOS - if this does not work then you do not have a keyboard plugged in
> >> that
> >> is supported during the boot process (possibly some USB one where you
> >> have
> >> not enabled legacy USB support in the BIOS etc)
> >> Check this out first before you assume setup is not running.
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
"sits there"
Do the keys highlight when you mouse over them - do the press when you click
on them?
Can you enter a product key code- does it display
Is the PC hung - can you cleanly exit the setup

More details Dave. this is like pulling teeth.

--

Mike Brannigan
> Yesterday it asked me to press a key at start up, today it's going into
> windows setup, but it won't go past where I put in the key code. It just
> sits there.
> That's why I tried a repair and it was unseccessful.
>
> I haven't had any options to reformat or reset a partition.
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> Dave if the hard disk is bare the it will automatically start setup - of
>> you
>> have an OS already on eh hard disk it should ask you to press a key to
>> boot
>> from CD/DVD.
>>
>> Just what is the story here. What happens when you start the PC with the
>> DVD in the drive - do you see the press a key to boot from DVD message
>> etc .
>>
>> It is hard to help if you do not provide full details of everything that
>> happens.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan
>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I checked the setup and the USB settings are enabled. I didn't see
>> >anything
>> > referring to keyboard. The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard.
>> >
>> > When I just booted up in went right into setting windows up, it didn't
>> > give
>> > the option to "press any key" to boot from the cd.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dave

Dave

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
sorry,
I entered the key code, the hour glass sits there, I can still move my
mouse, it does not appear to be locked up. It's been over twenty minutes
since I entered the code again.

--
Dave

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "sits there"
> Do the keys highlight when you mouse over them - do the press when you click
> on them?
> Can you enter a product key code- does it display
> Is the PC hung - can you cleanly exit the setup
>
> More details Dave. this is like pulling teeth.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan
> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday it asked me to press a key at start up, today it's going into
> > windows setup, but it won't go past where I put in the key code. It just
> > sits there.
> > That's why I tried a repair and it was unseccessful.
> >
> > I haven't had any options to reformat or reset a partition.
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> >

> > "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
> >
> >> Dave if the hard disk is bare the it will automatically start setup - of
> >> you
> >> have an OS already on eh hard disk it should ask you to press a key to
> >> boot
> >> from CD/DVD.
> >>
> >> Just what is the story here. What happens when you start the PC with the
> >> DVD in the drive - do you see the press a key to boot from DVD message
> >> etc .
> >>
> >> It is hard to help if you do not provide full details of everything that
> >> happens.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Brannigan

Dave

Re: MS - Re-installing Vista
Okay, after an hour I got past the key code portion of the setup, however I
now have this errror message
"windows cannot access the required file d:\sources\install.wim. make sure
all files required for installation are available, and restart the
installation. error code:
0x80071E7

--
Dave