Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.

BJ

Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
32BIT.
She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to have
Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
"Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto my
computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money we
both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to do
this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was wondering
if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having to
buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if one
of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?
Bob F.

Re: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
"BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32BIT.
> She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to
> have
> Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto
> my
> computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money
> we
> both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to
> do
> this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was
> wondering
> if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having
> buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if
> one
> of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

Please read the license agreement. Then you can decide how you want to
handle the situation.

--
BobF.

BJ

Re: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
I suppose I should have thought of that.

"Bob F." wrote:

> "BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> > 32BIT.
> > She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> > computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to
> > have
> > Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> > "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto
> > my
> > computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money
> > we
> > both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to
> > do
> > this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was
> > wondering
> > if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> > was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> > install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> > another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> > question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having
> > buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if
> > one
> > of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

> Please read the license agreement. Then you can decide how you want to
> handle the situation.
>
> --
> BobF.

Bruce Chambers

BJ wrote:
> My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32BIT.
> She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to have
> Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto my
> computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money we
> both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to do
> this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was wondering
> if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having to
> buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if one
> of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

No. By your own admission, your sister has an OEM license for
Vista. An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
circumstances.

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it. (As long as you have multiple identical licenses,
it doesn't matter if you use the same CD for the installations, as long
as you use a different license each time.)

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mick Murphy

RE: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
Dell has sold you 2 computers with the operating systems pre-installed on
them; hers with vista; yours with XP.

The operating systems are OEMs, which means that they are tied to those
computers until those computers DIE!

The operating systems are also tied to their respective motherboards; a
DELL incentive!!!!!

Also, the cost of the Hardware that is in your computers is NOTHING to do
with the operating systems from microsoft.

In answer to your Question 1.: NO, you can't do it(install on two{2} at the
same time)
In answer to your question 2.: One(1) OEM licence= install on one
computer(you can redo it, but only on the same one!)
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"BJ" wrote:

> My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32BIT.
> She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to have
> Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto my
> computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money we
> both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to do
> this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was wondering
> if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having to
> buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if one
> of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

BJ

RE: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
Ok thanks to everyone who replied. Thank you for helping me. I didn't want to
have any problems of any kind which is why I asked.

"BJ" wrote:

> My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32BIT.
> She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to have
> Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto my
> computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money we
> both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to do
> this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was wondering
> if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having to
> buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if one
> of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

BigJim

Re: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
I wouldn't mess with vista maybe after the sp1 release.

"BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32BIT.
> She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to
> have
> Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto
> my
> computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money
> we
> both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to
> do
> this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was
> wondering
> if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having
> buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if
> one
> of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
If you want to run Vista on your PC then you need to buy a copy of Vista,
you can't use the copy that is already installed on your Sister's PC.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister just bought a new computer that came with Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32BIT.
> She bought her computer from Dell and about a year ago I had bought a
> computer from dell that came with Windows XP Pro. I would really like to
> have
> Vista on this computer and I was wondering if it was possible to use the
> "Operating System Reinstall Disk" to install Windows Vista Ultimate onto
> my
> computer. Neither of us bought cheap systems and with the amount of money
> we
> both paid it almost seems like it shouldn't matter that I would be able to
> do
> this. But obviously thats probably not the case. But anyway, I was
> wondering
> if their was a limit to how many times I could use this disk and CD key. I
> was told it was two times, but I'm not sure and I don't want to try to
> install it and then not be able to use my computer because I'd have to buy
> another CD key or product license whatever. If anyone could answer my
> question: Will I be able to install this with no problems and not having
> buy another Vista Ultimate and at the same time still have the CD work if
> one
> of us should need to reinstall Vista in case something goes wrong?

Jack

Re: Installing Windows Vista on a second computer.
Nothing is impossible.
The legality is the only problem.
Jack