Vista on drive D in dual boot: how to clone it to drive C ?

Jack

Vista on drive D in dual boot: how to clone it to drive C ?
Hello,
I have a dual boot system:
XP PRO on drive C and Vista Home Premium on drive B.
I want to replace my hardrive, and move (or clone) Vista to new drive and be
it C drive.
Vista is still virgin and not other programs are installed, so changing it
location from D to C drive will not influance any applications.
I know how to create hard drive image. My question is how to make that new c
drive with Vista on it bootable again.
Is there any utility I can use?
Jack

peter

Re: Vista on drive D in dual boot: how to clone it to drive C ?
You can use your Vista DVD and do a "startup repair"
peter

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a dual boot system:
> XP PRO on drive C and Vista Home Premium on drive B.
> I want to replace my hardrive, and move (or clone) Vista to new drive and
> be it C drive.
> Vista is still virgin and not other programs are installed, so changing it
> location from D to C drive will not influance any applications.
> I know how to create hard drive image. My question is how to make that new
> c drive with Vista on it bootable again.
> Is there any utility I can use?
> Jack

BugHunter

Re: Vista on drive D in dual boot: how to clone it to drive C ?
peter <peterk@nowhere.net> schreef in bericht

> You can use your Vista DVD and do a "startup repair"
> peter

I don't think that will work. The driveletter belongs to the
installation, and is everywhere in the system, such as the
register, present.

Bye, Bughunter.
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista on drive D in dual boot: how to clone it to drive C ?
Hi,

You can't change the drive letter without reinstalling. This applies to both
XP and Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a dual boot system:
> XP PRO on drive C and Vista Home Premium on drive B.
> I want to replace my hardrive, and move (or clone) Vista to new drive and
> be it C drive.
> Vista is still virgin and not other programs are installed, so changing it
> location from D to C drive will not influance any applications.
> I know how to create hard drive image. My question is how to make that new
> c drive with Vista on it bootable again.
> Is there any utility I can use?
> Jack

John Barnes

Re: Vista on drive D in dual boot: how to clone it to drive C ?
If Vista was installed from the DVD and sees itself as your C drive you will
be okay. If you installed Vista from the XP desktop and it sees itself as
D, you will have to reinstall to have it as C.