Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Need to create IIS-USERS account in folder under My Documents!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Need to create IIS-USERS account in folder under My Documents!
I'm trying to understand more about IIS_USERS account, and I cannot locate
the information I need anywhere. On my new laptop using Vista Home Premium,
I am setting up to do a limited about of web development. I moved my primary
website to a folder on My Documents for ease of backup, but have not been
able to access the folder with localhost, getting an error 500. Apparently,
IIS sets up an IIS_USERS account in inetpub/wwwroot, but nowhere else. This
account does not appear in the control panel/user accounts area, but only
when you right click wwwroot and look at properties.

I assume that if I can create this account for the folder I keep my website
in, I would likely be able to set permissions to let localhost access it, but
I don't know if just manually creating an account by that name will work, or
if there are special attributes created by IIS. Does anyone out there know
which is the case? If it won't work to just manually create such an account,
then how can I get ISS to do it for the folder I want? Would it work to move
or copy the wwwroot directory into the documents folder, and then perhaps
rename it?

Also, is there any reason (i.e. security) why I should NOT have my website
under my documents? I am the only user on this machine, and do not want to
set it up for any outside access, even when I am on a wi-fi or local wireless
network.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Larry
--
Larry S
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2007
Michael
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need to create IIS-USERS account in folder under My Documents!
On my system (vista home premium) the spelling is
IIS_IUSRS

rather than IIS_USERS


I can add that to security for \documents\pictures for instance.

Michael


"Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6F81EEAB-6F32-497C-9843-24EFA59E09E9@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to understand more about IIS_USERS account, and I cannot locate
> the information I need anywhere. On my new laptop using Vista Home
> Premium,
> I am setting up to do a limited about of web development. I moved my
> primary
> website to a folder on My Documents for ease of backup, but have not been
> able to access the folder with localhost, getting an error 500.
> Apparently,
> IIS sets up an IIS_USERS account in inetpub/wwwroot, but nowhere else.
> This
> account does not appear in the control panel/user accounts area, but only
> when you right click wwwroot and look at properties.
>
> I assume that if I can create this account for the folder I keep my
> website
> in, I would likely be able to set permissions to let localhost access it,
> but
> I don't know if just manually creating an account by that name will work,
> or
> if there are special attributes created by IIS. Does anyone out there
> know
> which is the case? If it won't work to just manually create such an
> account,
> then how can I get ISS to do it for the folder I want? Would it work to
> move
> or copy the wwwroot directory into the documents folder, and then perhaps
> rename it?
>
> Also, is there any reason (i.e. security) why I should NOT have my website
> under my documents? I am the only user on this machine, and do not want
> to
> set it up for any outside access, even when I am on a wi-fi or local
> wireless
> network.
>
> Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Larry
> --
> Larry S


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need to create IIS-USERS account in folder under My Documents!
OOPS! It is IIS_IUSERS on my system also. As someone very new to Vista (I'm
used to Win 2K), do you know if setting up that account on a folder within My
Documents is likely to compromise security? How can I add that folder to
security as you suggest? Thanks.
--
Larry S


"Michael" wrote:

> On my system (vista home premium) the spelling is
> IIS_IUSRS
>
> rather than IIS_USERS
>
>
> I can add that to security for \documents\pictures for instance.
>
> Michael
>
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6F81EEAB-6F32-497C-9843-24EFA59E09E9@microsoft.com...
> > I'm trying to understand more about IIS_USERS account, and I cannot locate
> > the information I need anywhere. On my new laptop using Vista Home
> > Premium,
> > I am setting up to do a limited about of web development. I moved my
> > primary
> > website to a folder on My Documents for ease of backup, but have not been
> > able to access the folder with localhost, getting an error 500.
> > Apparently,
> > IIS sets up an IIS_USERS account in inetpub/wwwroot, but nowhere else.
> > This
> > account does not appear in the control panel/user accounts area, but only
> > when you right click wwwroot and look at properties.
> >
> > I assume that if I can create this account for the folder I keep my
> > website
> > in, I would likely be able to set permissions to let localhost access it,
> > but
> > I don't know if just manually creating an account by that name will work,
> > or
> > if there are special attributes created by IIS. Does anyone out there
> > know
> > which is the case? If it won't work to just manually create such an
> > account,
> > then how can I get ISS to do it for the folder I want? Would it work to
> > move
> > or copy the wwwroot directory into the documents folder, and then perhaps
> > rename it?
> >
> > Also, is there any reason (i.e. security) why I should NOT have my website
> > under my documents? I am the only user on this machine, and do not want
> > to
> > set it up for any outside access, even when I am on a wi-fi or local
> > wireless
> > network.
> >
> > Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Larry
> > --
> > Larry S

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2007
Michael
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need to create IIS-USERS account in folder under My Documents!
Larry,

I cannot speak to security ramifications of allowing IIS_IUSRS on a folder
within documents. I opted NOT to do that, instead I placed my little web
where the 'default' web resided (C:inetpub) as I have found that if I do
things Microsoft's way the system is generally happier, if I insist in doing
it my way life is more interesting.

Michel

"Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5080B300-8ACC-4109-BBA5-4D95CE30D8B5@microsoft.com...
> OOPS! It is IIS_IUSERS on my system also. As someone very new to Vista
> (I'm
> used to Win 2K), do you know if setting up that account on a folder within
> My
> Documents is likely to compromise security? How can I add that folder to
> security as you suggest? Thanks.
> --
> Larry S
>
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> On my system (vista home premium) the spelling is
>> IIS_IUSRS
>>
>> rather than IIS_USERS
>>
>>
>> I can add that to security for \documents\pictures for instance.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>
>> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6F81EEAB-6F32-497C-9843-24EFA59E09E9@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm trying to understand more about IIS_USERS account, and I cannot
>> > locate
>> > the information I need anywhere. On my new laptop using Vista Home
>> > Premium,
>> > I am setting up to do a limited about of web development. I moved my
>> > primary
>> > website to a folder on My Documents for ease of backup, but have not
>> > been
>> > able to access the folder with localhost, getting an error 500.
>> > Apparently,
>> > IIS sets up an IIS_USERS account in inetpub/wwwroot, but nowhere else.
>> > This
>> > account does not appear in the control panel/user accounts area, but
>> > only
>> > when you right click wwwroot and look at properties.
>> >
>> > I assume that if I can create this account for the folder I keep my
>> > website
>> > in, I would likely be able to set permissions to let localhost access
>> > it,
>> > but
>> > I don't know if just manually creating an account by that name will
>> > work,
>> > or
>> > if there are special attributes created by IIS. Does anyone out there
>> > know
>> > which is the case? If it won't work to just manually create such an
>> > account,
>> > then how can I get ISS to do it for the folder I want? Would it work
>> > to
>> > move
>> > or copy the wwwroot directory into the documents folder, and then
>> > perhaps
>> > rename it?
>> >
>> > Also, is there any reason (i.e. security) why I should NOT have my
>> > website
>> > under my documents? I am the only user on this machine, and do not
>> > want
>> > to
>> > set it up for any outside access, even when I am on a wi-fi or local
>> > wireless
>> > network.
>> >
>> > Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Larry
>> > --
>> > Larry S

>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need to create IIS-USERS account in folder under My Documents!
Microsoft does have a way of making life more "interesting", doesn't it. :-))
--
Larry S


"Michael" wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I cannot speak to security ramifications of allowing IIS_IUSRS on a folder
> within documents. I opted NOT to do that, instead I placed my little web
> where the 'default' web resided (C:inetpub) as I have found that if I do
> things Microsoft's way the system is generally happier, if I insist in doing
> it my way life is more interesting.
>
> Michel
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5080B300-8ACC-4109-BBA5-4D95CE30D8B5@microsoft.com...
> > OOPS! It is IIS_IUSERS on my system also. As someone very new to Vista
> > (I'm
> > used to Win 2K), do you know if setting up that account on a folder within
> > My
> > Documents is likely to compromise security? How can I add that folder to
> > security as you suggest? Thanks.
> > --
> > Larry S
> >
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> On my system (vista home premium) the spelling is
> >> IIS_IUSRS
> >>
> >> rather than IIS_USERS
> >>
> >>
> >> I can add that to security for \documents\pictures for instance.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >>
> >> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:6F81EEAB-6F32-497C-9843-24EFA59E09E9@microsoft.com...
> >> > I'm trying to understand more about IIS_USERS account, and I cannot
> >> > locate
> >> > the information I need anywhere. On my new laptop using Vista Home
> >> > Premium,
> >> > I am setting up to do a limited about of web development. I moved my
> >> > primary
> >> > website to a folder on My Documents for ease of backup, but have not
> >> > been
> >> > able to access the folder with localhost, getting an error 500.
> >> > Apparently,
> >> > IIS sets up an IIS_USERS account in inetpub/wwwroot, but nowhere else.
> >> > This
> >> > account does not appear in the control panel/user accounts area, but
> >> > only
> >> > when you right click wwwroot and look at properties.
> >> >
> >> > I assume that if I can create this account for the folder I keep my
> >> > website
> >> > in, I would likely be able to set permissions to let localhost access
> >> > it,
> >> > but
> >> > I don't know if just manually creating an account by that name will
> >> > work,
> >> > or
> >> > if there are special attributes created by IIS. Does anyone out there
> >> > know
> >> > which is the case? If it won't work to just manually create such an
> >> > account,
> >> > then how can I get ISS to do it for the folder I want? Would it work
> >> > to
> >> > move
> >> > or copy the wwwroot directory into the documents folder, and then
> >> > perhaps
> >> > rename it?
> >> >
> >> > Also, is there any reason (i.e. security) why I should NOT have my
> >> > website
> >> > under my documents? I am the only user on this machine, and do not
> >> > want
> >> > to
> >> > set it up for any outside access, even when I am on a wi-fi or local
> >> > wireless
> >> > network.
> >> >
> >> > Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Larry
> >> > --
> >> > Larry S
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redirecting Users Documents to File Server =?Utf-8?B?QnJldHQgUw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 4 02-28-2007 14:14
Why does computer name change create new Users\<name> folders? =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsTGlwa2ll?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 02-28-2007 14:13
can't create password on my admin account malaac microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 02-28-2007 14:11
Why does computer name change create new Users\<name> folders? =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsTGlwa2ll?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 02-17-2007 01:41
How do I create a new e-mail account Lauraroxs microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 02-12-2007 02:23




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120