Product ID and Registration for Windows XP

B. Chico

Product ID and Registration for Windows XP
I apologize if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere. I have a
problem though. I have a computer that was custom built about 6 years ago
and was installed with Windows XP Professional edition. I decided last night
that it was time to reformat the hard drive on the computer and take it back
to normal. I went to reinstall XP using the original disk that came with the
computer. Unfortunately, I failed to think ahead and it got to the screen
where I have to input the Product ID code that was originally located on the
Disk sleeve, which of course I no longer have. I've read several suggestions
online about accessing the code through the computer, but they all sound
really complicated and I can't get into the computer anyway because of the
midinstallation stalling. Shouldn't there be a record with Microsoft that I
can access online from another computer from when I registered my copy years
ago when I bought it? That would be so much simpler. If anyone knows the
answer to this, please respond. Thanks.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Product ID and Registration for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"B. Chico" <B. wrote:

[...]
Jeepers

RE: Product ID and Registration for Windows XP
As Carey said above. I remember doing it with Win 98 in the past. I contacted
support by phone, was told what to do, faxed them a copy of my original disk
and recieved a new "key".
Good luck

"B. Chico" wrote:

> I apologize if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere. I have a
> problem though. I have a computer that was custom built about 6 years ago
> and was installed with Windows XP Professional edition. I decided last night
> that it was time to reformat the hard drive on the computer and take it back
> to normal. I went to reinstall XP using the original disk that came with the
> computer. Unfortunately, I failed to think ahead and it got to the screen
> where I have to input the Product ID code that was originally located on the
> Disk sleeve, which of course I no longer have. I've read several suggestions
> online about accessing the code through the computer, but they all sound
> really complicated and I can't get into the computer anyway because of the
> midinstallation stalling. Shouldn't there be a record with Microsoft that I
> can access online from another computer from when I registered my copy years
> ago when I bought it? That would be so much simpler. If anyone knows the
> answer to this, please respond. Thanks.

Jeepers

RE: Product ID and Registration for Windows XP
Forgive me, I forgot something. If it was built for you, there may be a
sticker on your case somewhere that has the Key on it. That is generally for
Oem installations and it'd be a shiny holo one.

~Cheers

"B. Chico" wrote:

> I apologize if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere. I have a
> problem though. I have a computer that was custom built about 6 years ago
> and was installed with Windows XP Professional edition. I decided last night
> that it was time to reformat the hard drive on the computer and take it back
> to normal. I went to reinstall XP using the original disk that came with the
> computer. Unfortunately, I failed to think ahead and it got to the screen
> where I have to input the Product ID code that was originally located on the
> Disk sleeve, which of course I no longer have. I've read several suggestions
> online about accessing the code through the computer, but they all sound
> really complicated and I can't get into the computer anyway because of the
> midinstallation stalling. Shouldn't there be a record with Microsoft that I
> can access online from another computer from when I registered my copy years
> ago when I bought it? That would be so much simpler. If anyone knows the
> answer to this, please respond. Thanks.

Art

Re: Product ID and Registration for Windows XP
Many 'Custom Built' units may not have the logo and sticker applied. Cases
are available from multiple sites and 'Systems' may be 'Custom Built' in
one's bedroom, if they care to. IMHO