Can't see Internet on wireless network

Michelle

Can't see Internet on wireless network
I want a second computer (which uses XP) to be able to connect to my
internet connection.

It CAN connect to the wireless network, but cannot see the internet.

I have a Netgear wireless Router, and a security enabled wireless network.

The other PC can connect to the wireless network with good strength, but
cannot see the internet.

In Vista's Network Sharing Centrethere is a properties box which deals with
Internet Connection Sharing. But when I try to tick the 'Allow other users
to connect through this computer's internet connection' box and click OK, I
get a messagebox come upo telling me that 'An error occured while internet
connection was being enabled'. Should I be trying to enable this?

Am I doing this in the right place? if so what else do I need to do to
enable the internet on the other machine? Any ideas...?

Thanks

Not Me

Re: Can't see Internet on wireless network
If both machines connect directly to the router, the Vista settings will
have nothing to do with the XP machine connecting to the internet.
Internet Connection Sharing is for using YOUR PC as a router type device and
sharing the net that way.
You must also have 2 NIC in your PC and have the other PC connected to your
PC that way, generally via a crossover cable.
With a router, that isn't needed.
Make sure you have the machine connected via wireless or plugged into a
regular port, not the uplink port, on the router.
What is the status of your wireless connection? Can you ping the router?
Routers usually use an IP of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, if in doubt, read
the manual.
Make sure your firewall or Security Suite isn't blocking access.
With XP, sometimes removing malware can affect the connection or Winsock
gets corrupted.
sometimes running the command (start>run)
netsh winsock reset
will fix it
sometimes removing ALL Network adapters, rebooting and allowing them to
reinstall will fix it.
Try it and post back.
"Michelle" <mh_londonNOJUNK@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I want a second computer (which uses XP) to be able to connect to my
>internet connection.
>
> It CAN connect to the wireless network, but cannot see the internet.
>
> I have a Netgear wireless Router, and a security enabled wireless network.
>
> The other PC can connect to the wireless network with good strength, but
> cannot see the internet.
>
> In Vista's Network Sharing Centrethere is a properties box which deals
> with Internet Connection Sharing. But when I try to tick the 'Allow other
> users to connect through this computer's internet connection' box and
> click OK, I get a messagebox come upo telling me that 'An error occured
> while internet connection was being enabled'. Should I be trying to enable
> this?
>
> Am I doing this in the right place? if so what else do I need to do to
> enable the internet on the other machine? Any ideas...?
>
> Thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't see Internet on wireless network
The way your post is written is that neither computer can see the Internet.

Use the router's IP Address you have been given to log into your
router(follow/read the manual for the router, or the software CD instructions
that came with it), with the default username and password(normally admin &
password, lol).

Set up your ISP's(Internet service provider) internet Username and Password
once you are inside the router's software.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Michelle" wrote:

> I want a second computer (which uses XP) to be able to connect to my
> internet connection.
>
> It CAN connect to the wireless network, but cannot see the internet.
>
> I have a Netgear wireless Router, and a security enabled wireless network.
>
> The other PC can connect to the wireless network with good strength, but
> cannot see the internet.
>
> In Vista's Network Sharing Centrethere is a properties box which deals with
> Internet Connection Sharing. But when I try to tick the 'Allow other users
> to connect through this computer's internet connection' box and click OK, I
> get a messagebox come upo telling me that 'An error occured while internet
> connection was being enabled'. Should I be trying to enable this?
>
> Am I doing this in the right place? if so what else do I need to do to
> enable the internet on the other machine? Any ideas...?
>
> Thanks

Mr. Arnold

Re: Can't see Internet on wireless network

"Michelle" <mh_londonNOJUNK@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I want a second computer (which uses XP) to be able to connect to my
>internet connection.
>
> It CAN connect to the wireless network, but cannot see the internet.

If you cannot enter router's device IP in a browser and access the router's
Admin screen, then the machine doesn't have a connection to the router
either.

> I have a Netgear wireless Router, and a security enabled wireless network.

You should disable it to see if the computer will connect without security.

> The other PC can connect to the wireless network with good strength, but
> cannot see the internet.

You need to connect the computer to the router with a wire connection to
see if it can access the Internet and to see if the computer can access the
router's Admin screen using the router's device IP in a browser.

> In Vista's Network Sharing Centrethere is a properties box which deals
> with Internet Connection Sharing. But when I try to tick the 'Allow other
> users to connect through this computer's internet connection' box and
> click OK, I get a messagebox come upo telling me that 'An error occured
> while internet connection was being enabled'. Should I be trying to enable
> this?

You need to understand what a router does. The router is the one that is the
gateway to the Internet and is the one the that is providing the Internet
Connection to all computers connected to it. The Vista machine has nothing
to do with this when the router is in play, concerning other machines trying
to access the Internet.

> Am I doing this in the right place? if so what else do I need to do to
> enable the internet on the other machine? Any ideas...?

You can call the manufacture of the router and let them help you.