Virtual PC 2007

Charles Shapiro

Virtual PC 2007
Looking for some assistance with VPC 2007. Installed Vista, installed and
configured VPC 2007, rebooted and installed XP. The machine will only boot
XP, so I installed VPC 2007 on XP but when it try to open the virtual PC it
hangs at the prompt that has to do with the network card. I see it display
the MAC address in that DOS window, but it never goes any further.

Obviously I did something wrong as I can't get back to Vista. I almost
expected a dual boot situation.

Appreciate any help getting this configured.

Thanks.

..Chip..

Rick Rogers

Re: Virtual PC 2007
Hi Charles,

When you installed XP, you overwrote Vista's bootloader. Boot the system
with the Vista disk, run a startup repair to fix it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
> Looking for some assistance with VPC 2007. Installed Vista, installed and
> configured VPC 2007, rebooted and installed XP. The machine will only
> boot XP, so I installed VPC 2007 on XP but when it try to open the virtual
> PC it hangs at the prompt that has to do with the network card. I see it
> display the MAC address in that DOS window, but it never goes any further.
>
> Obviously I did something wrong as I can't get back to Vista. I almost
> expected a dual boot situation.
>
> Appreciate any help getting this configured.
>
> Thanks.
>
> .Chip..

Charles Shapiro

Re: Virtual PC 2007
Thanks Rick. That was the answer. I am now once again booting the Vista
operating system.

When I try to run VPC 2007, it still hangs looking for something network
related. DHCP I think. Any ideas on that?

Thanks.

...Chip..

> Hi Charles,
>
> When you installed XP, you overwrote Vista's bootloader. Boot the system
> with the Vista disk, run a startup repair to fix it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Looking for some assistance with VPC 2007. Installed Vista, installed
>> and configured VPC 2007, rebooted and installed XP. The machine will
>> only boot XP, so I installed VPC 2007 on XP but when it try to open the
>> virtual PC it hangs at the prompt that has to do with the network card.
>> I see it display the MAC address in that DOS window, but it never goes
>> any further.
>>
>> Obviously I did something wrong as I can't get back to Vista. I almost
>> expected a dual boot situation.
>>
>> Appreciate any help getting this configured.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> .Chip..

Rick Rogers

Re: Virtual PC 2007
Hi,

Depends on how you have the vpc configured and what type of connection you
are using. Try disabling the simulated network card and see if it starts
better.

--

> Thanks Rick. That was the answer. I am now once again booting the Vista
> operating system.
>
> When I try to run VPC 2007, it still hangs looking for something network
> related. DHCP I think. Any ideas on that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ..Chip..

>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> When you installed XP, you overwrote Vista's bootloader. Boot the system
>> with the Vista disk, run a startup repair to fix it.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Looking for some assistance with VPC 2007. Installed Vista, installed
>>> and configured VPC 2007, rebooted and installed XP. The machine will
>>> only boot XP, so I installed VPC 2007 on XP but when it try to open the
>>> virtual PC it hangs at the prompt that has to do with the network card.
>>> I see it display the MAC address in that DOS window, but it never goes
>>> any further.
>>>
>>> Obviously I did something wrong as I can't get back to Vista. I almost
>>> expected a dual boot situation.
>>>
>>> Appreciate any help getting this configured.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> .Chip..

Charles Shapiro

Re: Virtual PC 2007
Tried all of the options related to the network adapter. Can you point me
to some instructions for setting this virtual machine up?

I read in this newsgroup about NIC drivers causing a problem, but it was a
BSOD issue. Maybe different NIC drivers could help me too?

Thanks for your help!

...Chip..

> Hi,
>
> Depends on how you have the vpc configured and what type of connection you
> are using. Try disabling the simulated network card and see if it starts
> better.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks Rick. That was the answer. I am now once again booting the Vista
>> operating system.
>>
>> When I try to run VPC 2007, it still hangs looking for something network
>> related. DHCP I think. Any ideas on that?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ..Chip..
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Charles,
>>>
>>> When you installed XP, you overwrote Vista's bootloader. Boot the system
>>> with the Vista disk, run a startup repair to fix it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Charles Shapiro

Re: Virtual PC 2007
Dummy me. Vista had all the help I needed! I am making a new XP disk to
install into the VM. Should have it up and running soon.

That appears to have done it. I have the XP startup running, just like as I
was installing it normally! Now copying files! We're on our way!

Thanks again for your help!