Vista reactivation required after memory upgrade?

Jeepers

Vista reactivation required after memory upgrade?
I built my wife a new computer using an oem vista premium 32 bit.
I set it up at my station for the installation and activation so it would be
easier to transfer her old files.
A friend reccomended that though I had two 2gb sticks of ram, I should only
install one stick until after installation. Don't ask me why I listened
please.
All went well, an easy and fast installation. So I activated it and bingo,
activation accepted.
Now comes the questionable part to this short story.
I disconnected everything, installed the second 2gb stick of ram.
Installed her LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard (which were different than
mine) and upon reboot came up with the "must activate within 3 days".
Now there is one addition I found out before my phone in "reactivation"
where I recieved a "You only have this installed on one computer?" and "a
memory upgrade will require reactivation"
The date was off by a month on the original install. I installed it February
27th, and the computer date was March 27th.
I've a Toshiba laptop that came with 1gm ram, plucked it out and stuck in
two 2gb sticks with no problem.
I'd like to know what really happened here.
Was it the memory or a combination of memory, mouse, LCD and date?
I do not want to duplicate this as all the parts for "my" computer are now
on the way with a fresh copy of Vista Premium 64bit also.
And YES, "my" computer will be faster than "hers".

regards;
~confused

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup
John Barnes

Re: Vista reactivation required after memory upgrade?
Most likely the date as the other items either don't get used in the
algorithm or count for little. Number one is the hard drive Vista is
installed on.

"Jeepers" <Jeepers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I built my wife a new computer using an oem vista premium 32 bit.
> I set it up at my station for the installation and activation so it would
> be
> easier to transfer her old files.
> A friend reccomended that though I had two 2gb sticks of ram, I should
> only
> install one stick until after installation. Don't ask me why I listened
> please.
> All went well, an easy and fast installation. So I activated it and bingo,
> activation accepted.
> Now comes the questionable part to this short story.
> I disconnected everything, installed the second 2gb stick of ram.
> Installed her LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard (which were different than
> mine) and upon reboot came up with the "must activate within 3 days".
> Now there is one addition I found out before my phone in "reactivation"
> where I recieved a "You only have this installed on one computer?" and "a
> memory upgrade will require reactivation"
> The date was off by a month on the original install. I installed it
> February
> 27th, and the computer date was March 27th.
> I've a Toshiba laptop that came with 1gm ram, plucked it out and stuck in
> two 2gb sticks with no problem.
> I'd like to know what really happened here.
> Was it the memory or a combination of memory, mouse, LCD and date?
> I do not want to duplicate this as all the parts for "my" computer are now
> on the way with a fresh copy of Vista Premium 64bit also.
> And YES, "my" computer will be faster than "hers".
>
> regards;
> ~confused
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista reactivation required after memory upgrade?
Hi,

Reactivation is triggered by a combination of a number of hardware changes.
Apparently you reached this threshold. All it requires is a phone call,
though having to do so can be an annoyance.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jeepers" <Jeepers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I built my wife a new computer using an oem vista premium 32 bit.
> I set it up at my station for the installation and activation so it would
> be
> easier to transfer her old files.
> A friend reccomended that though I had two 2gb sticks of ram, I should
> only
> install one stick until after installation. Don't ask me why I listened
> please.
> All went well, an easy and fast installation. So I activated it and bingo,
> activation accepted.
> Now comes the questionable part to this short story.
> I disconnected everything, installed the second 2gb stick of ram.
> Installed her LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard (which were different than
> mine) and upon reboot came up with the "must activate within 3 days".
> Now there is one addition I found out before my phone in "reactivation"
> where I recieved a "You only have this installed on one computer?" and "a
> memory upgrade will require reactivation"
> The date was off by a month on the original install. I installed it
> February
> 27th, and the computer date was March 27th.
> I've a Toshiba laptop that came with 1gm ram, plucked it out and stuck in
> two 2gb sticks with no problem.
> I'd like to know what really happened here.
> Was it the memory or a combination of memory, mouse, LCD and date?
> I do not want to duplicate this as all the parts for "my" computer are now
> on the way with a fresh copy of Vista Premium 64bit also.
> And YES, "my" computer will be faster than "hers".
>
> regards;
> ~confused
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

Jeepers

Re: Vista reactivation required after memory upgrade?
Thank you John
Thank you Rick

I wasn't concerned about having to reactivate, more so why it happened.
Thank you both for your responses. I guess even Vista is not yet dummy proof,
and I should not build computers when I'm tired.
Have a good day gentlemen.