Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine

dba123

Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I just
upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a new PC.

So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I can't
activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.

I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has to be
a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you like
this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?

What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried to
put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!

Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
--
dba123
Bob F.

Re: Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
"dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I
>just
> upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a new
> PC.
>
> So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I
> can't
> activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.
>
> I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
> hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has to
> be
> a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you
> like
> this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?
>
> What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried to
> put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!
>
> Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
> contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
> --
> dba123

Please visit John Barnett’s support page:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm

--
BobF.

dba123

Re: Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
Thanks.

I think it's interesting in the tone of this article that you passed to me.
I know you didn't write it but it shows the cockiness of programmers that I
cannot stand...ego trips that assume everone assumes or knows what they konw.
It states that you should "obviously" know that you need to reactivate it
once again. Please.

I'm a C# developer. Do I assume this or that? Absolutely Not. Does the
activation screen give me a phone option ...of course. But...do I assume
that I must go the phone route to re-activate it again...NO.

This is stupid as hell. Meaning why doesn't Microsoft make a more
informative activation screen then in this case. What Microsoft should do is
state "if you have already activated this copy of Vista on a previous machine
of yours, please take the phone route to re-activate this software on your
machine again".

Hmm, would that resolve this concern? Certainly would.

--
dba123

"Bob F." wrote:

> "dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I
> >just
> > upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a new
> > PC.
> >
> > So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I
> > can't
> > activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.
> >
> > I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
> > hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has to
> > be
> > a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you
> > like
> > this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?
> >
> > What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried to
> > put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
> > contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
> > --
> > dba123

> Please visit John Barnett’s support page:
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm
>
> --
> BobF.

Brink

dba123;632397 Wrote:
> I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I
> just
> upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a
> new PC.
>
> So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I
> can't
> activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.
>
> I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
> hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has
> to be
> a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you
> like
> this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?
>
> What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried to
> put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!
>
> Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
> contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
> --
> dba123

Hi dba123,

You will just need to do a phone activation. This will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*

> Thanks.
>
> I think it's interesting in the tone of this article that you passed to
> me.
> I know you didn't write it but it shows the cockiness of programmers that
> cannot stand...ego trips that assume everone assumes or knows what they
> konw.
> It states that you should "obviously" know that you need to reactivate it
> once again. Please.
>
> I'm a C# developer. Do I assume this or that? Absolutely Not. Does the
> activation screen give me a phone option ...of course. But...do I assume
> that I must go the phone route to re-activate it again...NO.
>
> This is stupid as hell. Meaning why doesn't Microsoft make a more
> informative activation screen then in this case. What Microsoft should do
> is
> state "if you have already activated this copy of Vista on a previous
> machine
> of yours, please take the phone route to re-activate this software on your
> machine again".
>
> Hmm, would that resolve this concern? Certainly would.
>
> --
> dba123
>

> "Bob F." wrote:
>
>> "dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I
>> >just
>> > upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a
>> > new
>> > PC.
>> >
>> > So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I
>> > can't
>> > activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.
>> >
>> > I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
>> > hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has
>> > be
>> > a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you
>> > like
>> > this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?
>> >
>> > What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried
>> > put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
>> > contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
>> > --
>> > dba123

>> Please visit John Barnett’s support page:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm
>>
>> --
>> BobF.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your point and I think I will
re-write my own page in a better tone.
--
BobF.

dba123

Re: Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
Thanks to the both of you.
--
dba123

"Brink" wrote:

> dba123;632397 Wrote:
> > I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I
> > just
> > upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a
> > new PC.
> >
> > So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I
> > can't
> > activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.
> >
> > I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
> > hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has
> > to be
> > a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you
> > like
> > this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?
> >
> > What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried to
> > put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
> > contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
> > --
> > dba123

> Hi dba123,
>
> You will just need to do a phone activation. This will show you how.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink

> '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

dba123

Re: Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
Thanks for understanding and your help!

--
dba123

"Bob F." wrote:

> "dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I think it's interesting in the tone of this article that you passed to
> > me.
> > I know you didn't write it but it shows the cockiness of programmers that
> > cannot stand...ego trips that assume everone assumes or knows what they
> > konw.
> > It states that you should "obviously" know that you need to reactivate it
> > once again. Please.
> >
> > I'm a C# developer. Do I assume this or that? Absolutely Not. Does the
> > activation screen give me a phone option ...of course. But...do I assume
> > that I must go the phone route to re-activate it again...NO.
> >
> > This is stupid as hell. Meaning why doesn't Microsoft make a more
> > informative activation screen then in this case. What Microsoft should do
> > is
> > state "if you have already activated this copy of Vista on a previous
> > machine
> > of yours, please take the phone route to re-activate this software on your
> > machine again".
> >
> > Hmm, would that resolve this concern? Certainly would.
> >
> > --
> > dba123
> >

> > "Bob F." wrote:
> >
> >> "dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Please visit John Barnett’s support page:
> >> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> BobF.
> >>

> Thanks for the feedback. I understand your point and I think I will
> re-write my own page in a better tone.
> --
> BobF.

Brink

dba123;632436 Wrote:
> Thanks to the both of you.
> --
> dba123
>

> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > dba123;632397 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi dba123,
> > >
> > > You will just need to do a phone activation. This will show you how.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Your welcome dba123.

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
"dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I think it's interesting in the tone of this article that you passed to
> me.
> I know you didn't write it but it shows the cockiness of programmers that
> cannot stand...ego trips that assume everone assumes or knows what they
> konw.
> It states that you should "obviously" know that you need to reactivate it
> once again. Please.
>
> I'm a C# developer. Do I assume this or that? Absolutely Not. Does the
> activation screen give me a phone option ...of course. But...do I assume
> that I must go the phone route to re-activate it again...NO.
>
> This is stupid as hell. Meaning why doesn't Microsoft make a more
> informative activation screen then in this case. What Microsoft should do
> is
> state "if you have already activated this copy of Vista on a previous
> machine
> of yours, please take the phone route to re-activate this software on your
> machine again".
>
> Hmm, would that resolve this concern? Certainly would.
>
> --
> dba123
>

> "Bob F." wrote:
>
>> "dba123" <dba123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was using my purchased Vista Ultimate just fine on my first PC. But I
>> >just
>> > upgraded the motherboard and pretty much everything else. Now it's a
>> > new
>> > PC.
>> >
>> > So I took my Vista install CD, installed it on my new machine. Now I
>> > can't
>> > activate it. It won't let me saying it's already been activated.
>> >
>> > I recall someone told me that Vista activation is tied to the initial
>> > hardware you install it on. Is this really the case? If so, there has
>> > be
>> > a resolution to this as Microsoft can't be that stupid to restrict you
>> > like
>> > this. I mean how am I supposed to upgrade my fing PC!?
>> >
>> > What do I do? I don't want to spend $60 on a support ticket. I tried
>> > put in my PID which also now it's saying has expired! wtf!
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated in terms of getting around this or how to
>> > contact Microsoft to get this crap resolved for my home PC.
>> > --
>> > dba123

>> Please visit John Barnett’s support page:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm
>>
>> --
>> BobF.

The word 'obviously' did not appear anywhere in John Barnett's instructions.

Re. the activation process, activation is of the OS, not the user. The
process does not know who is running it, only the last known address (basic
computer spec)..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Dustin Harper

Re: Cannot activate my Vista Ultimate on new machine
You can select "Activate by Phone", call MS and they will get you activated
in about 5 minutes.

Basically, your old machine was activated and there is no way to
"deactivate" an install.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com