Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems

Mousesurfer

Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
I purchased from Staples (07/05/2007) the Windows Anytime Upgrade disc to go
from; Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate. (This was all
from from a complete witch over from Windows XP to begin with as I bought a
new computer system. Which, quite truthfully has been nothing but frustrating
and headaches right from the beginning).

My computer crashed. I re-installed HP Recovery Disc & Windows Anytime Discs
- all seemed well. Then it started telling me I needed to - "Activate Windows
in so many days or it would (I believe it said) become inactive? Which it
did.....I'm now back to just Windows Home Premium.

Does this mean I have to fork out more money? and I guess and can't even
just get the upgrade this time around can I? because I'm already on the Home
Premium?
I need help please!!!! I fairly new at all this. I'm not a computer tech,
just a someone that has a homebased computer.
--
bjg3117
Gary Mount

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
Use the Phone in method to activate your copy.
My experience is similar to yours. I upgraded from Home Premium to Ultimate
and had a system failure some weeks later and had to reinstall.
I could not activate my re installed version automatically via the Internet.
I had reinstalled to a different hard drive from my first activated install.
Instead of phoning in to activate, I reinstalled Ultimate but installed to
the same drive the first activated version had been installed on.
The activation went through without having to use the phone method.
Anyway, the phone in method will work.

I am assuming you used your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall the
upgrade.
If you did not, then you can go to your online digital locker and recover
your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall your upgrade.

"Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I purchased from Staples (07/05/2007) the Windows Anytime Upgrade disc to
> go
> from; Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate. (This was all
> from from a complete witch over from Windows XP to begin with as I bought
> new computer system. Which, quite truthfully has been nothing but
> frustrating
> and headaches right from the beginning).
>
> My computer crashed. I re-installed HP Recovery Disc & Windows Anytime
> Discs
> - all seemed well. Then it started telling me I needed to - "Activate
> Windows
> in so many days or it would (I believe it said) become inactive? Which it
> did.....I'm now back to just Windows Home Premium.
>
> Does this mean I have to fork out more money? and I guess and can't even
> just get the upgrade this time around can I? because I'm already on the
> Premium?
> I need help please!!!! I fairly new at all this. I'm not a computer tech,
> just a someone that has a homebased computer.
> --
> bjg3117

Mousesurfer

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
Thank you for replying to my email

Sorry, I am not familiar with this online digital locker your referring to,
and that's part of the problem is not knowing my product key # for the -
Windows Anytime upgrade (I know it for the Home Premium, but not for the
Windows Anytime). How do I go about do that?
--
bjg3117

"Gary Mount" wrote:

> Use the Phone in method to activate your copy.
> My experience is similar to yours. I upgraded from Home Premium to Ultimate
> and had a system failure some weeks later and had to reinstall.
> I could not activate my re installed version automatically via the Internet.
> I had reinstalled to a different hard drive from my first activated install.
> Instead of phoning in to activate, I reinstalled Ultimate but installed to
> the same drive the first activated version had been installed on.
> The activation went through without having to use the phone method.
> Anyway, the phone in method will work.
>
> I am assuming you used your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall the
> upgrade.
> If you did not, then you can go to your online digital locker and recover
> your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall your upgrade.
>
> "Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I purchased from Staples (07/05/2007) the Windows Anytime Upgrade disc to
> > go
> > from; Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate. (This was all
> > from from a complete witch over from Windows XP to begin with as I bought
> > new computer system. Which, quite truthfully has been nothing but
> > frustrating
> > and headaches right from the beginning).
> >
> > My computer crashed. I re-installed HP Recovery Disc & Windows Anytime
> > Discs
> > - all seemed well. Then it started telling me I needed to - "Activate
> > Windows
> > in so many days or it would (I believe it said) become inactive? Which it
> > did.....I'm now back to just Windows Home Premium.
> >
> > Does this mean I have to fork out more money? and I guess and can't even
> > just get the upgrade this time around can I? because I'm already on the
> > Premium?
> > I need help please!!!! I fairly new at all this. I'm not a computer tech,
> > just a someone that has a homebased computer.
> > --
> > bjg3117

Gary Mount

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
If you don't know where your "license" for the upgrade is, then...
From Microsoft...
"A personal digital locker is created for you when you purchase a Windows
Vista upgrade. Your digital locker stores your product keys and purchase
information which, when used together, allow you to reinstall your upgrade
if necessary. A copy of your upgrade is also stored in your digital locker.

To access your upgrade in your digital locker for recovery:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click the digital locker
icon. Alternatively, you can go directly to the Digital Locker website.
"
https://digitallocker.windowsmarketp...spx?limode=wau

> Thank you for replying to my email
>
> Sorry, I am not familiar with this online digital locker your referring
> to,
> and that's part of the problem is not knowing my product key # for the -
> Windows Anytime upgrade (I know it for the Home Premium, but not for the
> Windows Anytime). How do I go about do that?
> --
> bjg3117
>

> "Gary Mount" wrote:
>
>> Use the Phone in method to activate your copy.
>> My experience is similar to yours. I upgraded from Home Premium to
>> Ultimate
>> and had a system failure some weeks later and had to reinstall.
>> I could not activate my re installed version automatically via the
>> Internet.
>> I had reinstalled to a different hard drive from my first activated
>> install.
>> Instead of phoning in to activate, I reinstalled Ultimate but installed
>> the same drive the first activated version had been installed on.
>> The activation went through without having to use the phone method.
>> Anyway, the phone in method will work.
>>
>> I am assuming you used your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall the
>> upgrade.
>> If you did not, then you can go to your online digital locker and recover
>> your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall your upgrade.
>>
>> "Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I purchased from Staples (07/05/2007) the Windows Anytime Upgrade disc
>> > go
>> > from; Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate. (This was
>> > all
>> > from from a complete witch over from Windows XP to begin with as I
>> > bought
>> > new computer system. Which, quite truthfully has been nothing but
>> > frustrating
>> > and headaches right from the beginning).
>> >
>> > My computer crashed. I re-installed HP Recovery Disc & Windows Anytime
>> > Discs
>> > - all seemed well. Then it started telling me I needed to - "Activate
>> > Windows
>> > in so many days or it would (I believe it said) become inactive? Which
>> > it
>> > did.....I'm now back to just Windows Home Premium.
>> >
>> > Does this mean I have to fork out more money? and I guess and can't
>> > even
>> > just get the upgrade this time around can I? because I'm already on the
>> > Premium?
>> > I need help please!!!! I fairly new at all this. I'm not a computer
>> > tech,
>> > just a someone that has a homebased computer.
>> > --
>> > bjg3117

Mousesurfer

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
Once again, thank you for replying so quickly. I will try what you have
giving me to do. I appreciate the help, as this whole experience has been a
very frustrating and bumpy trail of Windows Vista not playing nice with
most of my other programs.

--
bjg3117

"Gary Mount" wrote:

> If you don't know where your "license" for the upgrade is, then...
> From Microsoft...
> "A personal digital locker is created for you when you purchase a Windows
> Vista upgrade. Your digital locker stores your product keys and purchase
> information which, when used together, allow you to reinstall your upgrade
> if necessary. A copy of your upgrade is also stored in your digital locker.
>
> To access your upgrade in your digital locker for recovery:
>
> Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click the digital locker
> icon. Alternatively, you can go directly to the Digital Locker website.
> "
> https://digitallocker.windowsmarketp...spx?limode=wau
>

> "Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for replying to my email
> >
> > Sorry, I am not familiar with this online digital locker your referring
> > to,
> > and that's part of the problem is not knowing my product key # for the -
> > Windows Anytime upgrade (I know it for the Home Premium, but not for the
> > Windows Anytime). How do I go about do that?
> > --
> > bjg3117
> >

> > "Gary Mount" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the Phone in method to activate your copy.
> >> My experience is similar to yours. I upgraded from Home Premium to
> >> Ultimate
> >> and had a system failure some weeks later and had to reinstall.
> >> I could not activate my re installed version automatically via the
> >> Internet.
> >> I had reinstalled to a different hard drive from my first activated
> >> install.
> >> Instead of phoning in to activate, I reinstalled Ultimate but installed
> >> the same drive the first activated version had been installed on.
> >> The activation went through without having to use the phone method.
> >> Anyway, the phone in method will work.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you used your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall the
> >> upgrade.
> >> If you did not, then you can go to your online digital locker and recover
> >> your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall your upgrade.

Mousesurfer

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
Hey Gary:
Well, I found the digital locker you me to go to. The following happened.

It showed me; Your Software (1); Name: Windows Vista Home Premium to
Windows Vista Ultimate; Type: Software Date: 07/05/2007 - view &record your
license prior to downloading. All the important and needed information I
thought I required. I ws a happy camper. I clicked on - Install License.

Then it says: "Can not install License Package from the Edition of Windows
which you are using. For assistance please try one of the following. and gave
me a tel # a
link and an email address which I have since been in contact and an no
further ahead no than I was when I started. Besides that I believe what he
was trying to tell me was to wait until my computer was advised me to -
Activate Windows now - and then re-install the - Windows Anytime Upgrade
disc? Does this sound right?

--
bjg3117

"Mousesurfer" wrote:

> Once again, thank you for replying so quickly. I will try what you have
> giving me to do. I appreciate the help, as this whole experience has been a
> very frustrating and bumpy trail of Windows Vista not playing nice with
> most of my other programs.
>
> --
> bjg3117
>

> "Gary Mount" wrote:
>
> > If you don't know where your "license" for the upgrade is, then...
> > From Microsoft...
> > "A personal digital locker is created for you when you purchase a Windows
> > Vista upgrade. Your digital locker stores your product keys and purchase
> > information which, when used together, allow you to reinstall your upgrade
> > if necessary. A copy of your upgrade is also stored in your digital locker.
> >
> > To access your upgrade in your digital locker for recovery:
> >
> > Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click the digital locker
> > icon. Alternatively, you can go directly to the Digital Locker website.
> > "
> > https://digitallocker.windowsmarketp...spx?limode=wau
> >

> > "Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you for replying to my email
> > >
> > > Sorry, I am not familiar with this online digital locker your referring
> > > to,
> > > and that's part of the problem is not knowing my product key # for the -
> > > Windows Anytime upgrade (I know it for the Home Premium, but not for the
> > > Windows Anytime). How do I go about do that?
> > > --
> > > bjg3117

Mousesurfer

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
Gary Please check my last message to you I kind of slip one out of order,
thanks much Bev
--
bjg3117

"Gary Mount" wrote:

> If you don't know where your "license" for the upgrade is, then...
> From Microsoft...
> "A personal digital locker is created for you when you purchase a Windows
> Vista upgrade. Your digital locker stores your product keys and purchase
> information which, when used together, allow you to reinstall your upgrade
> if necessary. A copy of your upgrade is also stored in your digital locker.
>
> To access your upgrade in your digital locker for recovery:
>
> Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click the digital locker
> icon. Alternatively, you can go directly to the Digital Locker website.
> "
> https://digitallocker.windowsmarketp...spx?limode=wau
>

> "Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for replying to my email
> >
> > Sorry, I am not familiar with this online digital locker your referring
> > to,
> > and that's part of the problem is not knowing my product key # for the -
> > Windows Anytime upgrade (I know it for the Home Premium, but not for the
> > Windows Anytime). How do I go about do that?
> > --
> > bjg3117
> >

> > "Gary Mount" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the Phone in method to activate your copy.
> >> My experience is similar to yours. I upgraded from Home Premium to
> >> Ultimate
> >> and had a system failure some weeks later and had to reinstall.
> >> I could not activate my re installed version automatically via the
> >> Internet.
> >> I had reinstalled to a different hard drive from my first activated
> >> install.
> >> Instead of phoning in to activate, I reinstalled Ultimate but installed
> >> the same drive the first activated version had been installed on.
> >> The activation went through without having to use the phone method.
> >> Anyway, the phone in method will work.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you used your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall the
> >> upgrade.
> >> If you did not, then you can go to your online digital locker and recover
> >> your anytime upgrade license key to reinstall your upgrade.

Gary Mount

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
You need to have the same installation of Vista that you had when you first
used the anytime upgrade. It also has to be activated first before you can
do the anytime upgrade.

"Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF2D1533-0EDD-4113-98B9-2C9EBD143B5C@microsoft.com...
> Hey Gary:
> Well, I found the digital locker you me to go to. The following happened.
>
> It showed me; Your Software (1); Name: Windows Vista Home Premium to
> Windows Vista Ultimate; Type: Software Date: 07/05/2007 - view &record
> your
> license prior to downloading. All the important and needed information I
> thought I required. I ws a happy camper. I clicked on - Install License.
>
> Then it says: "Can not install License Package from the Edition of Windows
> which you are using. For assistance please try one of the following. and
> gave
> me a tel # a
> link and an email address which I have since been in contact and an no
> further ahead no than I was when I started. Besides that I believe what he
> was trying to tell me was to wait until my computer was advised me to -
> Activate Windows now - and then re-install the - Windows Anytime Upgrade
> disc? Does this sound right?
>

> --
> bjg3117
>

> "Mousesurfer" wrote:
>
>> Once again, thank you for replying so quickly. I will try what you have
>> giving me to do. I appreciate the help, as this whole experience has been
>> very frustrating and bumpy trail of Windows Vista not playing nice
>> with
>> most of my other programs.
>>
>> --
>> bjg3117
>>

>> "Gary Mount" wrote:
>>
>> > If you don't know where your "license" for the upgrade is, then...
>> > From Microsoft...
>> > "A personal digital locker is created for you when you purchase a
>> > Windows
>> > Vista upgrade. Your digital locker stores your product keys and
>> > purchase
>> > information which, when used together, allow you to reinstall your
>> > upgrade
>> > if necessary. A copy of your upgrade is also stored in your digital
>> > locker.
>> >
>> > To access your upgrade in your digital locker for recovery:
>> >
>> > Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click the digital
>> > locker
>> > icon. Alternatively, you can go directly to the Digital Locker website.
>> > "
>> > https://digitallocker.windowsmarketp...spx?limode=wau

Mousesurfer

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
So I assume that as I'm still with the same computer and the same Windows
Vista Home Premium then (and when I just now looked at my System/Windows
Activation screen it shows me 2 days until automatic activation.) Does that
mean in two days I should be able to reactivate it again with this - Windows
Anytime Upgrade Discs? and it should work?

--
bjg3117

"Gary Mount" wrote:

> You need to have the same installation of Vista that you had when you first
> used the anytime upgrade. It also has to be activated first before you can
> do the anytime upgrade.
>
> "Mousesurfer" <Mousesurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsF2D1533-0EDD-4113-98B9-2C9EBD143B5C@microsoft.com...
> > Hey Gary:
> > Well, I found the digital locker you me to go to. The following happened.
> >
> > It showed me; Your Software (1); Name: Windows Vista Home Premium to
> > Windows Vista Ultimate; Type: Software Date: 07/05/2007 - view &record
> > your
> > license prior to downloading. All the important and needed information I
> > thought I required. I ws a happy camper. I clicked on - Install License.
> >
> > Then it says: "Can not install License Package from the Edition of Windows
> > which you are using. For assistance please try one of the following. and
> > gave
> > me a tel # a
> > link and an email address which I have since been in contact and an no
> > further ahead no than I was when I started. Besides that I believe what he
> > was trying to tell me was to wait until my computer was advised me to -
> > Activate Windows now - and then re-install the - Windows Anytime Upgrade
> > disc? Does this sound right?
> >

> > --
> > bjg3117
> >

> > "Mousesurfer" wrote:
> >
> >> Once again, thank you for replying so quickly. I will try what you have
> >> giving me to do. I appreciate the help, as this whole experience has been
> >> very frustrating and bumpy trail of Windows Vista not playing nice
> >> with
> >> most of my other programs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> bjg3117

Gary Mount

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Problems
You activate your Home Premium now, then you can use the anytime upgrade to
install the upgrade.
You can't upgrade until you have activated your Home Premium.