New install of Vista Home Premium

Just installed Vista Home Premium as upgrade to Windows XP. Do I need to
reinstall all my existing programs? Is there a way to create a short cut to
the existiing programs.
.Joe

Re: New install of Vista Home Premium

C;632053 Wrote:
> Just installed Vista Home Premium as upgrade to Windows XP. Do I need to
> reinstall all my existing programs? Is there a way to create a short
> cut to
> the existiing programs.

While there is some recommended preparation you should do before
upgrading XP to Vista, as I recall, your programs and shortcuts should
survive through the upgrade. If anyone else has any thoughts along these
lines, please share them with us.

--
.Joe

.Joe™
'Vista x64 Forums'
'[image: http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/323179.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179)
Mick Murphy

RE: New install of Vista Home Premium
If you upgraded, everything should still be there.
Go to Start>Programs to see if they are there!
If they are, right-click on what you want>Send To> and make a desktop
shortcut!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"C" wrote:

> Just installed Vista Home Premium as upgrade to Windows XP. Do I need to
> reinstall all my existing programs? Is there a way to create a short cut to
> the existiing programs.

Re: New install of Vista Home Premium
Thanks for the quick respond. The new install saved everyhting under a
folder called windows.old. With the new partition, is OK to create a short
cut on Vista and have the program and data on the other partition?

".Joe" wrote:

> C;632053 Wrote:
> > Just installed Vista Home Premium as upgrade to Windows XP. Do I need to
> > reinstall all my existing programs? Is there a way to create a short
> > cut to
> > the existiing programs.

> While there is some recommended preparation you should do before
> upgrading XP to Vista, as I recall, your programs and shortcuts should
> survive through the upgrade. If anyone else has any thoughts along these
> lines, please share them with us.
>

> --
> .Joe
>
> .Joeâ„¢
> 'Vista x64 Forums'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621)
> '[image: http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/323179.png]'
> (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179)

John Barnes

Re: New install of Vista Home Premium
You did a custom install instead of an upgrade and you have lost the ability
to use those programs without reinstalling them. You can recover your data
files and copy them over to Vista, then delete the .old file

newsBF728AA-2D4A-4D04-B6E4-CABC532620EF@microsoft.com...