WindowsUpdate_80096004 WindowsUpdate_dt000

Ableman42

WindowsUpdate_80096004 WindowsUpdate_dt000
I was an early beta tester for Vista and have had problems with the following
error. I can't download updates, and recently I can't even download Windows
Update software.

1 result for WindowsUpdate_80096004 WindowsUpdate_dt000

I've had numerous conversations with tech support, to no avail. I'll paste
below one of the email chains, but rest assured there were more!

Any thoughts?

(FYI I've moved since these problems and can't find my beta disks...)

If I went and bought a new copy of VISTA, how should I install? Do I need to
completely wipe and start over? Advice appreciated.
__________________________________

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your reply.

Here are the steps for troubleshooting:

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and
press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose
Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file
name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose
Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

If the issue persists, please collect the System Information for my research:

System Information

----------------

The System Information can provide us with more information about the
current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send
it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter
to start the System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save",
type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on
the left pane, and click Save.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the
email application being used. While you are composing the email, most
applications will provide you with either an Attach Button or Paper Clip Icon
to click in order to attach a file. Once clicking this button/icon you must
browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking
it or clicking it once and then clicking on the attach button.

If anything is unclear about the above steps, please feel free to let me
know. It is my pleasure to be working with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Kevin Zhao

v-30kzha@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

Rick Rogers

Re: WindowsUpdate_80096004 WindowsUpdate_dt000
Hi,

First, what does the beta have to do with this? You're not still running a
beta version I hope, as they have long been excluded from Windows Update.
Having those disks would help you not, unless you were one of the recipients
of the release version (given to those that submitted bugs). If that's the
case, any copy of the release version should work with the Product Key given
you (and I think you can still retrieve this from the connect site if
needed).

Second, you may have better luck in the Windows Update group, and include a
paste from the most recent attempt from the windowsupdate.log file.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org