Shrinking C: drive

Claudio

Shrinking C: drive
Here is a question that I asked in the genereral.Vista N.G-
I'v got some 8 different answres and I'm really more confused than
earlyer...

"I have a new Vista premier edition. The disk is 160GByte but the occupied
size is about 15Gbyte. Snapshots is activated. I tried to shrink but it the
maximum available size is around 60Gbyte, leaving the minimum available on
around 100Gbyte.
What is the reason that I can't shrink the C drive bellow 100Gbyte?
Is there some workaround?"

Is there some more professional answer?

Regards
Rami

John Barnes

Re: Shrinking C: drive
Same answer. Vista does not shrink past an unmovable file. You will need
to use a third party product that moves them, such as BootItNG
30 day trial download is available. Use it and buy if you think that you
will use its functions in the future.

"Claudio" <claudio@goren.org.ir> wrote in message
> Here is a question that I asked in the genereral.Vista N.G-
> I'v got some 8 different answres and I'm really more confused than
> earlyer...
>
> "I have a new Vista premier edition. The disk is 160GByte but the occupied
> size is about 15Gbyte. Snapshots is activated. I tried to shrink but it
> the
> maximum available size is around 60Gbyte, leaving the minimum available on
> around 100Gbyte.
> What is the reason that I can't shrink the C drive bellow 100Gbyte?
> Is there some workaround?"
>
> Is there some more professional answer?
>
> Regards
> Rami

Patrick Keenan

Re: Shrinking C: drive
"Claudio" <claudio@goren.org.ir> wrote in message
> Here is a question that I asked in the genereral.Vista N.G-
> I'v got some 8 different answres and I'm really more confused than
> earlyer...
>
> "I have a new Vista premier edition. The disk is 160GByte but the occupied
> size is about 15Gbyte. Snapshots is activated. I tried to shrink but it
> the
> maximum available size is around 60Gbyte, leaving the minimum available on
> around 100Gbyte.
> What is the reason that I can't shrink the C drive bellow 100Gbyte?
> Is there some workaround?"
>
> Is there some more professional answer?
>
> Regards
> Rami

The answer is found in the help files for the Shrink feature, and relates to
unmovable files forming a barrier to the shrink.

Go to Disk Management in Computer Management, right-click, choose Help, and
enter "shrink volume", and you'll find this under "shrink a simple or
spanned volume":

"Additional considerations
When you shrink a partition, unmovable files (for example, the page file or
the shadow copy storage area) are not automatically relocated and you can
not decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files
are located. If you need to shrink the partition further, move the page file
to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the volume, and
then move the page file back to the disk."

HTH
-pk