Unable to remove language packs

Alex Fischer

Unable to remove language packs
Hi,

I'm working with an Ultimate Vista Version (default language is german).
While I'm trying to install SP1 for Vista I'm getting an error focusing on
the problem that there are languages installed that are not supported for
this Service Pack. Looking in regional settings I can see that quite all
languages are installed available in the world; I have no clue why!

So I'm trying to remove all the not-needed-languages (all of them except
english and german) but I'm not able to. I'm getting a message at the end of
this process talking about "it's not possible to remove these languages.."
No error no. no additional information.

Can anybody help me to solute this problem? I doesn't make sense for me to
have over a dozen language packs on the machine.

Thanks in advance for any idea!

Regards

Alex

Rick Rogers

Re: Unable to remove language packs
Hi Alex,

See if the removal information here helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471

Your Windows Update settings must be on automatic for all available updates
for them to have been installed. Try changing to either critical only
(uncheck the line for recommended ones), or download and notify so that you
are prompted to choose which ones to install (custom, not express).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alex Fischer" <alexander.fischer@datagroup.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm working with an Ultimate Vista Version (default language is german).
> While I'm trying to install SP1 for Vista I'm getting an error focusing on
> the problem that there are languages installed that are not supported for
> this Service Pack. Looking in regional settings I can see that quite all
> languages are installed available in the world; I have no clue why!
>
> So I'm trying to remove all the not-needed-languages (all of them except
> english and german) but I'm not able to. I'm getting a message at the end
> of this process talking about "it's not possible to remove these
> languages.." No error no. no additional information.
>
> Can anybody help me to solute this problem? I doesn't make sense for me to
> have over a dozen language packs on the machine.
>
> Thanks in advance for any idea!
>
> Regards
>
> Alex

Alex Fischer

Re: Unable to remove language packs
Hi Rick,

unfortunately these information doesn't solve the problem. It would be a
success if there will be any log files with more detailed information but I
cannot find anything.

Anyway thanks.

Alex

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Alex,
>
> See if the removal information here helps:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471
>
> Your Windows Update settings must be on automatic for all available
> updates for them to have been installed. Try changing to either critical
> only (uncheck the line for recommended ones), or download and notify so
> that you are prompted to choose which ones to install (custom, not
> express).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alex Fischer" <alexander.fischer@datagroup.de> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working with an Ultimate Vista Version (default language is german).
>> While I'm trying to install SP1 for Vista I'm getting an error focusing
>> on the problem that there are languages installed that are not supported
>> for this Service Pack. Looking in regional settings I can see that quite
>> all languages are installed available in the world; I have no clue why!
>>
>> So I'm trying to remove all the not-needed-languages (all of them except
>> english and german) but I'm not able to. I'm getting a message at the end
>> of this process talking about "it's not possible to remove these
>> languages.." No error no. no additional information.
>>
>> Can anybody help me to solute this problem? I doesn't make sense for me
>> to have over a dozen language packs on the machine.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any idea!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Alex

Rick Rogers

Re: Unable to remove language packs
Hi Alex,

Have you got folder options/view tab set to see hidden and system
files/folders? You would need to in order to see the log files.