Upgrading from XP Professional x64 Edition to Vista Ultimate

Henning

Upgrading from XP Professional x64 Edition to Vista Ultimate
I get an error saying my code is not valid. I have just installed x64 into a
new partition and activated it, yet the upgrade will not proceed. I note that
x64 is not specifically mentioned on the upgrade package, just xp. I bought
x64 for the machine I built so it is the oem version. Since x64 seems totally
orphaned I would like to upgrade to vista at this point. Are x64 owners
totally abandoned in this or is it something else.

Am I really going to have to go back and install 2000 just to upgrade?
Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrading from XP Professional x64 Edition to Vista Ultimate
You do not say if Vista ultimate is 32bit or 64bit!!
When you write x64, say what OS, vista or XP!!!!!!

You can not go from 64bit to 32bit, or 32bit or 64bit unless you do a clean
install

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...ade-vista.html

Use the link above to wipe XP, and do a clean install.
This method is NOT supported by Microsoft.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Henning" wrote:

> I get an error saying my code is not valid. I have just installed x64 into a
> new partition and activated it, yet the upgrade will not proceed. I note that
> x64 is not specifically mentioned on the upgrade package, just xp. I bought
> x64 for the machine I built so it is the oem version. Since x64 seems totally
> orphaned I would like to upgrade to vista at this point. Are x64 owners
> totally abandoned in this or is it something else.
>
> Am I really going to have to go back and install 2000 just to upgrade?

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrading from XP Professional x64 Edition to Vista Ultimate
Hi,

An OEM x64 disk is usually only good for a clean install from a booted disk.
They don't do upgrades. Try it that way.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Henning" <Henning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get an error saying my code is not valid. I have just installed x64 into
> new partition and activated it, yet the upgrade will not proceed. I note
> that
> x64 is not specifically mentioned on the upgrade package, just xp. I
> bought
> x64 for the machine I built so it is the oem version. Since x64 seems
> totally
> orphaned I would like to upgrade to vista at this point. Are x64 owners
> totally abandoned in this or is it something else.
>
> Am I really going to have to go back and install 2000 just to upgrade?

John Barnes

Re: Upgrading from XP Professional x64 Edition to Vista Ultimate
As mentioned a clean install is required to go to 64-bit from 32. Also,
please make sure you research before changing. You will need 64-bit signed
drivers for every piece of hardware you have connected, some programs will
not install or run on 64-bit and you do not get much if any benefits unless
you are running 64-bit software, which is very rare, and have more than 4
gig of ram.