Vista wont install

cougar

Vista wont install
Last night i tried to install vista, but after loading the disc in and
rebooting, it went through the windows is copying files bar with the black
background, then it went to the green vista loading bar, then it went to a
blue/green background with a mouse cursor and said installing windows. I left
it there for an hour, and it didnt change. I then rebooted into XP, and ran
the installer from windows, where i selected which drive to install to, and
then it copied and expanded the setup files. It then rebooted, and after the
vista load bar it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. i left it there
for an hour and no change.

Ive got new hardware in my computer, and after running the vista
compatibility tool it said i'd have no issues running any version of vista. I
was trying to install Home Premium btw.
John Barnes

Re: Vista wont install
What kind of install are you trying? Are you upgrading from XP or doing a
clean install? If upgrading, it is often helpful to disconnect anything
unnecessary for the install, like USB devices. You also may be having a
problem with video card drivers. It may help to uninstall the video driver
in XP, and some cards it has been necessary to load drivers when you get to
the load drivers screen, other times you can get by with the default VGA
driver until after the initial install

"cougar" <cougar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last night i tried to install vista, but after loading the disc in and
> rebooting, it went through the windows is copying files bar with the black
> background, then it went to the green vista loading bar, then it went to a
> blue/green background with a mouse cursor and said installing windows. I
> left
> it there for an hour, and it didnt change. I then rebooted into XP, and
> ran
> the installer from windows, where i selected which drive to install to,
> and
> then it copied and expanded the setup files. It then rebooted, and after
> the
> vista load bar it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. i left it
> there
> for an hour and no change.
>
> Ive got new hardware in my computer, and after running the vista
> compatibility tool it said i'd have no issues running any version of
> vista. I
> was trying to install Home Premium btw.

Dwarf

RE: Vista wont install
Hi cougar,

If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using
Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should be able
to solve your problem.
Dwarf

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7

"cougar" wrote:

> Last night i tried to install vista, but after loading the disc in and
> rebooting, it went through the windows is copying files bar with the black
> background, then it went to the green vista loading bar, then it went to a
> blue/green background with a mouse cursor and said installing windows. I left
> it there for an hour, and it didnt change. I then rebooted into XP, and ran
> the installer from windows, where i selected which drive to install to, and
> then it copied and expanded the setup files. It then rebooted, and after the
> vista load bar it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. i left it there
> for an hour and no change.
>
> Ive got new hardware in my computer, and after running the vista
> compatibility tool it said i'd have no issues running any version of vista. I
> was trying to install Home Premium btw.

cougar

RE: Vista wont install
yeah, ive tried a clean install, i reformated one of my hard drives, and
tried to install but the same thing happened. I dont have upgrade media, ive
got an OEM install disc. i tried uninstalling my video card drivers with no
luck there. I dont want to reinstall XP yet again this week, but its looking
more and more like i'll have to.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi cougar,
>
> If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using
> Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should be able
> to solve your problem.
> Dwarf
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7
>
> "cougar" wrote:
>
> > Last night i tried to install vista, but after loading the disc in and
> > rebooting, it went through the windows is copying files bar with the black
> > background, then it went to the green vista loading bar, then it went to a
> > blue/green background with a mouse cursor and said installing windows. I left
> > it there for an hour, and it didnt change. I then rebooted into XP, and ran
> > the installer from windows, where i selected which drive to install to, and
> > then it copied and expanded the setup files. It then rebooted, and after the
> > vista load bar it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. i left it there
> > for an hour and no change.
> >
> > Ive got new hardware in my computer, and after running the vista
> > compatibility tool it said i'd have no issues running any version of vista. I
> > was trying to install Home Premium btw.

John Barnes

Re: Vista wont install
Use F8 at the last boot and try safe mode. You can install your video card
driver there. You are stopping at the video driver loading point. Another
option many have used is to temporarily put in an older video card which
seems to present fewer problems. You can switch after the install and add
the drivers. Also, the latest driver is not always the best driver so
sometimes you have to use a 1 or 2 generation older one.

> yeah, ive tried a clean install, i reformated one of my hard drives, and
> tried to install but the same thing happened. I dont have upgrade media,
> ive
> got an OEM install disc. i tried uninstalling my video card drivers with
> no
> luck there. I dont want to reinstall XP yet again this week, but its
> looking
> more and more like i'll have to.
>
> "Dwarf" wrote:
>
>> Hi cougar,
>>
>> If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista
>> Using
>> Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should be
>> able
>> to solve your problem.
>> Dwarf
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7
>>
>> "cougar" wrote:
>>
>> > Last night i tried to install vista, but after loading the disc in and
>> > rebooting, it went through the windows is copying files bar with the
>> > black
>> > background, then it went to the green vista loading bar, then it went
>> > to a
>> > blue/green background with a mouse cursor and said installing windows.
>> > I left
>> > it there for an hour, and it didnt change. I then rebooted into XP, and
>> > ran
>> > the installer from windows, where i selected which drive to install to,
>> > and
>> > then it copied and expanded the setup files. It then rebooted, and
>> > after the
>> > vista load bar it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. i left it
>> > there
>> > for an hour and no change.
>> >
>> > Ive got new hardware in my computer, and after running the vista
>> > compatibility tool it said i'd have no issues running any version of
>> > vista. I
>> > was trying to install Home Premium btw.

cougar

Re: Vista wont install
Well i think i tried safe mode already, and as it was listing off the things
it was loading it stopped at drivers.sys or something like that. I put an
Nvidia 7600GS in to see if that would change things, but it didnt seem to
make a difference.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Use F8 at the last boot and try safe mode. You can install your video card
> driver there. You are stopping at the video driver loading point. Another
> option many have used is to temporarily put in an older video card which
> seems to present fewer problems. You can switch after the install and add
> the drivers. Also, the latest driver is not always the best driver so
> sometimes you have to use a 1 or 2 generation older one.
>
> "cougar" <cougar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yeah, ive tried a clean install, i reformated one of my hard drives, and
> > tried to install but the same thing happened. I dont have upgrade media,
> > ive
> > got an OEM install disc. i tried uninstalling my video card drivers with
> > no
> > luck there. I dont want to reinstall XP yet again this week, but its
> > looking
> > more and more like i'll have to.
> >
> > "Dwarf" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi cougar,
> >>
> >> If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista
> >> Using
> >> Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should be
> >> able
> >> to solve your problem.
> >> Dwarf
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7

John Barnes

Re: Vista wont install
Make sure to disconnect anything that isn't necessary, and use PS2 mouse or
keyboard to try to see if you can get by the driver stop. Since very few
drivers are loaded in safe mode it could be your USB keyboard or mouse. The
7600 video card should have been fine, so concentrate on other devices you
have connected.

> Well i think i tried safe mode already, and as it was listing off the
> things
> it was loading it stopped at drivers.sys or something like that. I put an
> Nvidia 7600GS in to see if that would change things, but it didnt seem to
> make a difference.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Use F8 at the last boot and try safe mode. You can install your video
>> card
>> driver there. You are stopping at the video driver loading point.
>> Another
>> option many have used is to temporarily put in an older video card which
>> seems to present fewer problems. You can switch after the install and
>> add
>> the drivers. Also, the latest driver is not always the best driver so
>> sometimes you have to use a 1 or 2 generation older one.
>>
>> "cougar" <cougar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > yeah, ive tried a clean install, i reformated one of my hard drives,
>> > and
>> > tried to install but the same thing happened. I dont have upgrade
>> > media,
>> > ive
>> > got an OEM install disc. i tried uninstalling my video card drivers
>> > with
>> > no
>> > luck there. I dont want to reinstall XP yet again this week, but its
>> > looking
>> > more and more like i'll have to.

cougar

Re: Vista wont install
well, ive got hardware that works fine when i install XP, my keyboard and
mouse seem to work fine, and the mouse is a newer wireless microsoft mouse.
but ill try that as well. ive got a radeon hd 3870 video card that i normally
use, but the 7600 was a test to make sure it wasnt a problem there. Ill see
if i can find a ps2 mouse laying around, im not sure if that would be a
problem. Ill also try pulling my soundcard out since that i think i need to
download drivers for it to work in vista.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Make sure to disconnect anything that isn't necessary, and use PS2 mouse or
> keyboard to try to see if you can get by the driver stop. Since very few
> drivers are loaded in safe mode it could be your USB keyboard or mouse. The
> 7600 video card should have been fine, so concentrate on other devices you
> have connected.
>
> "cougar" <cougar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well i think i tried safe mode already, and as it was listing off the
> > things
> > it was loading it stopped at drivers.sys or something like that. I put an
> > Nvidia 7600GS in to see if that would change things, but it didnt seem to
> > make a difference.
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> Use F8 at the last boot and try safe mode. You can install your video
> >> card
> >> driver there. You are stopping at the video driver loading point.
> >> Another
> >> option many have used is to temporarily put in an older video card which
> >> seems to present fewer problems. You can switch after the install and
> >> add
> >> the drivers. Also, the latest driver is not always the best driver so
> >> sometimes you have to use a 1 or 2 generation older one.

John Barnes

Re: Vista wont install
Personally I would put the 7600 back in for this as the ATI cards have been
a particular problem in this respect.

> well, ive got hardware that works fine when i install XP, my keyboard and
> mouse seem to work fine, and the mouse is a newer wireless microsoft
> mouse.
> but ill try that as well. ive got a radeon hd 3870 video card that i
> normally
> use, but the 7600 was a test to make sure it wasnt a problem there. Ill
> see
> if i can find a ps2 mouse laying around, im not sure if that would be a
> problem. Ill also try pulling my soundcard out since that i think i need
> download drivers for it to work in vista.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Make sure to disconnect anything that isn't necessary, and use PS2 mouse
>> or
>> keyboard to try to see if you can get by the driver stop. Since very few
>> drivers are loaded in safe mode it could be your USB keyboard or mouse.
>> The
>> 7600 video card should have been fine, so concentrate on other devices
>> you
>> have connected.
>>
>> "cougar" <cougar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well i think i tried safe mode already, and as it was listing off the
>> > things
>> > it was loading it stopped at drivers.sys or something like that. I put
>> > an
>> > Nvidia 7600GS in to see if that would change things, but it didnt seem
>> > make a difference.

Dwarf

Re: Vista wont install
Hi cougar,

Don't overlook the obvious. How many times have you watched a DVD or
listened to a CD only to find that it gets so far then stops and jumps? When
I had XP, I ocassionally had a similar problem installing where it would load
so far and then freeze. The cure? Simply a good old session with a CD cleaner.
Dwarf