OEM Vista: how to reset to 'out of box'

leon

OEM Vista: how to reset to 'out of box'
I just acquired a new Fujitsu U810 UMPC, no optical drive. Before I had a
chance to get to it, some smart person managed to power it up and force a
shutdown during the initial Vista installation run.

Now I keep getting "Windows could not complete the installation. To install
Windows on this computer, please restart the installation." I have tried
Safe Mode and Repair (found no problems), and still get the same message.

I heard there is a way to reset Vista to 'out of box' setting. Can some
please help?

Normally one would use the Recovery disks to re-image the HDD but I don't
have a USB optical drive, plus that takes time. I am still researching the
external optical drives available, but looks like I may have to hasten my
efforts.

I have a very pretty, cute UMPC. But at the moment it is just a paper weight.

Thanks,
Leon
Malke

Re: OEM Vista: how to reset to 'out of box'
leon wrote:

> I just acquired a new Fujitsu U810 UMPC, no optical drive. Before I had a
> chance to get to it, some smart person managed to power it up and force a
> shutdown during the initial Vista installation run.
>
> Now I keep getting "Windows could not complete the installation. To
> install
> Windows on this computer, please restart the installation." I have tried
> Safe Mode and Repair (found no problems), and still get the same message.
>
> I heard there is a way to reset Vista to 'out of box' setting. Can some
> please help?
>
> Normally one would use the Recovery disks to re-image the HDD but I don't
> have a USB optical drive, plus that takes time. I am still researching
> the external optical drives available, but looks like I may have to hasten
> my efforts.

You're going to have to look in the manual or, if there is no paper manual,
on the website or call Fujitsu tech support for this. Every OEM has a
different method to return their computers to factory condition.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
leon

Re: OEM Vista: how to reset to 'out of box'
> You're going to have to look in the manual or, if there is no paper manual,
> on the website or call Fujitsu tech support for this. Every OEM has a
> different method to return their computers to factory condition.

Thanks, Malke.

There is nothing in the paperwork for this. I have contacted Fujitsu tech
support who said they will get back to me. I think they are chasing the
solution 'further up the chain'.

Still waiting... Was hoping someone already knows and can share the info.

Leon
V Green

"leon" <leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just acquired a new Fujitsu U810 UMPC, no optical drive. Before I had a
> chance to get to it, some smart person managed to power it up and force a
> shutdown during the initial Vista installation run.
>
> Now I keep getting "Windows could not complete the installation. To install
> Windows on this computer, please restart the installation." I have tried
> Safe Mode and Repair (found no problems), and still get the same message.
>
> I heard there is a way to reset Vista to 'out of box' setting. Can some
> please help?
>
> Normally one would use the Recovery disks to re-image the HDD but I don't
> have a USB optical drive, plus that takes time. I am still researching the
> external optical drives available, but looks like I may have to hasten my
> efforts.
>
> I have a very pretty, cute UMPC. But at the moment it is just a paper weight.
>
> Thanks,
> Leon

I think you're probably just going to have to bite the bullet and get
that external DVD. Problem is, the OS never completed installing,
who knows what state things are in - even if you could get it to complete,
I would not trust the install and would wipe it and start over soonest. I
got a USB-DVD in order to upgrade my 810 to XP Tablet (yes, it's
an upgrade to go to XPT, you'll see what I mean after you get yours
going on Vista and find out how much stuff is broken).

You might try reposting here:

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...m.php?forum=16

and see if anyone can help.

Hu Ru

[...]

LeonMethods for accessing the utilities
Certain LifeBook models have the Recovery and Utility applets pre-installed
on a hidden drive. Other systems require that the Recovery and Utility disc
be used (or in the event the hard disk has been reformatted).
In order to determine the method for accessing the Recovery and Utility
applet, perform the
following procedures in order.
Determining whether Recovery and Utility is pre-loaded 1 Turn on or reboot
your system. When the Fujitsu logo appears, press [F12] key.
2From the Boot Menu that appears, check whether the <Recovery and Utility>
option is present. If it is not present, it means that the utility must be
used from the disc. Proceed to “Running Recovery and Utility from the disc”
if <Recovery and Utility> is unavailable.

Running Recovery and Utility from hard disk 1 Cursor down to <Recovery and
Utility> and press the [Enter] key.
2While the files are being loaded from the disc, a progress bar will appear
at the bottom of the screen.
3When the System Recovery Options dialog opens, select a new keyboard
layout, if necessary, then click [Next].
4When the Operating System dialog appears, click [Next].
5If necessary, enter your password, then click [OK].
6When System Recovery Options window appears, click on Recovery and Utility.
7The Recovery and Utility screen appears on the screen with three tabs:
Diagnostics,
Recovery and Utility. Please note that Diagnostics tab is not supported on
certain LifeBook/Stylistic models when running Recovery and Utility from the
hard disk. In order to restore the operating system, please insert the
“Recovery and Utility” disc in the CD/DVD drive and use the Start Recovery
function under the Recovery tab. For more information about the tabs, go to
“Recovery and Utility tabs” on page 106.

url for user guide
http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/content...11-01EN-00.pdf

V Green

"Hu Ru" <secretasianman@usa.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> at the bottom of the screen.
> 3When the System Recovery Options dialog opens, select a new keyboard
> layout, if necessary, then click [Next].
> 4When the Operating System dialog appears, click [Next].
> 5If necessary, enter your password, then click [OK].
> 6When System Recovery Options window appears, click on Recovery and Utility.
> 7The Recovery and Utility screen appears on the screen with three tabs:
> Diagnostics,
> Recovery and Utility. Please note that Diagnostics tab is not supported on
> certain LifeBook/Stylistic models when running Recovery and Utility from the
> hard disk. In order to restore the operating system, please insert the
> "Recovery and Utility" disc in the CD/DVD drive and use the Start Recovery
> function under the Recovery tab. For more information about the tabs, go to
> "Recovery and Utility tabs" on page 106.

Not applicable to the U810.

Since it only has a 40GB HD, the OS comes as an image on
a recovery CD.

V Green

"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> > 5If necessary, enter your password, then click [OK].
> > 6When System Recovery Options window appears, click on Recovery and Utility.
> > 7The Recovery and Utility screen appears on the screen with three tabs:
> > Diagnostics,
> > Recovery and Utility. Please note that Diagnostics tab is not supported on
> > certain LifeBook/Stylistic models when running Recovery and Utility from the
> > hard disk. In order to restore the operating system, please insert the
> > "Recovery and Utility" disc in the CD/DVD drive and use the Start Recovery
> > function under the Recovery tab. For more information about the tabs, go to
> > "Recovery and Utility tabs" on page 106.
> >
> > url for user guide

http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/content...11-01EN-00.pdf

> Not applicable to the U810.
>
> Since it only has a 40GB HD, the OS comes as an image on

Make that "a recovery DVD"

jack diamond

system recovery problem
I have a situation like you but with my Sony UX380N.
I also have an external DVD ROM drive but my computer did not recognize the drive through USB cable. I contacted Sony Tech support; they told me to use Fs keys but my did not work. May be it will work for you.
To reset the BIOS hit Fn+F2
To reset/system recovery hit Fn+F10
if it is working i will let me know so I will congratulate you.
Also if you find out how it work for your computer please let me know how.
I have tried everything but it did not work.
Good luck

Umpal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: system recovery problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack diamond View Post
I have a situation like you but with my Sony UX380N.
(...)

Jack, do you have recovery DVD(s) for this device?

Best regards,
Peter