Safe to Dual Boot with Upgrade?

Hambone

Safe to Dual Boot with Upgrade?
Hello,

I have my computer currently configured with the following partitions on my
320GB drive:
Cprimary) 30GB - Windows XP, 32 bit
D:80GB
E:80GB
F:30GB - unformatted and planning to install Vista upgrade, Home Basic
H:100GB

I have installed most games on drive D: and E: assuming I wont take
advantage of Directx 10 for those games with the exception of Oblivion.

I have installed the other games, Crysis and FSX, on drive H:. The idea was
to have them next to the planned installation drive F: for Vista.

I've already gone through numerous re-installations of my vista upgrade with
horrible results and this is my latest plan of attack to have a dual boot
system.

My question is... Is this a safe way to install Vista on drive F: without
messing up my XP installation and will I be able to utilize directx 10 on the
games I have installed from my WindowsXP SP2 partition?

Can anyone provide me with a method to safely do this?
Rick Rogers

Re: Safe to Dual Boot with Upgrade?
Hi,

The location of the game files under XP is immaterial. Once Vista is
installed, you will need to reinstall the games you want to run under it.
You can choose to install them to the same folders as they are currently in
if you like to save space, but you need to install them before attempting to
run them. No part of XP will be active when Vista is running, and vice
versa. The version of DirectX installed in each will have no bearing on the
other.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Hambone" <Hambone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have my computer currently configured with the following partitions on
> my
> 320GB drive:
> Cprimary) 30GB - Windows XP, 32 bit
> D:80GB
> E:80GB
> F:30GB - unformatted and planning to install Vista upgrade, Home Basic
> H:100GB
>
> I have installed most games on drive D: and E: assuming I wont take
> advantage of Directx 10 for those games with the exception of Oblivion.
>
> I have installed the other games, Crysis and FSX, on drive H:. The idea
> was
> to have them next to the planned installation drive F: for Vista.
>
> I've already gone through numerous re-installations of my vista upgrade
> with
> horrible results and this is my latest plan of attack to have a dual boot
> system.
>
> My question is... Is this a safe way to install Vista on drive F: without
> messing up my XP installation and will I be able to utilize directx 10 on
> the
> games I have installed from my WindowsXP SP2 partition?
>
> Can anyone provide me with a method to safely do this?

John Barnes

Re: Safe to Dual Boot with Upgrade?
Also, don't forget that every time you boot into XP you lose any Vista
restore points and shadow copies unless the Vista partition is hidden or
encrypted.