Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Re-formatting HD and re-installing everything

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2008
sbcwylie
 

Posts: n/a
Re-formatting HD and re-installing everything
Hello,

I want to re-format my HD and re-install everything.

My "easy" transfer created a lot of duplicate files, and most of my
applications are acting all goofy. Basically I want to start again from
scratch.

I have all of the original discs for everything (Vista Business, and
Ultimate Upgrade Disc, plus all the various apps).

My questions are:

In what order should I install which drivers/OS/applications/upgrades?

Thanks for any help,

Stephen






Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2008
03hdfatboy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Re-formatting HD and re-installing everything

sbcwylie;628847 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to re-format my HD and re-install everything.
>
> My "easy" transfer created a lot of duplicate files, and most of my
> applications are acting all goofy. Basically I want to start again from
> scratch.
>
> I have all of the original discs for everything (Vista Business, and
> Ultimate Upgrade Disc, plus all the various apps).
>
> My questions are:
>
> In what order should I install which drivers/OS/applications/upgrades?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Stephen

It is as easy as falling off a log.
Just boot off Vista dvd then run Ultimate disk when your finished
enable automatic updates and recomended updates and it will take care of
the rest. At least mine did. I've reformatted mine and started over
about 10 times. I could do it in my sleep.


--
03hdfatboy

MY Baby....
RAIDMAX Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case
OCZ Extreme Gamer 850W PSU
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield
VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Dominator 4GB
ATI X1950XTX + ATI X1950CF
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800
400Gb, 320Gb SATA Seagte Barracudas
i-rocks e-SATA W/500Gb Seagate
1 Sony/NEC 7191S & 1 Sony/NEC 7190A
Acer AL2216WBD
Logitech G15 Gamer & Mx518
Vista 64bit SP1/ XP Pro 32bit
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2008
sbcwylie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Re-formatting HD and re-installing everything
So-

I reformat the HD from withing Vista, re-boot from the DVD and all the
hardware will automatically source out their updated drivers?

"03hdfatboy" wrote:

>
> sbcwylie;628847 Wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to re-format my HD and re-install everything.
> >
> > My "easy" transfer created a lot of duplicate files, and most of my
> > applications are acting all goofy. Basically I want to start again from
> > scratch.
> >
> > I have all of the original discs for everything (Vista Business, and
> > Ultimate Upgrade Disc, plus all the various apps).
> >
> > My questions are:
> >
> > In what order should I install which drivers/OS/applications/upgrades?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Stephen

> It is as easy as falling off a log.
> Just boot off Vista dvd then run Ultimate disk when your finished
> enable automatic updates and recomended updates and it will take care of
> the rest. At least mine did. I've reformatted mine and started over
> about 10 times. I could do it in my sleep.
>
>
> --
> 03hdfatboy
>
> MY Baby....
> RAIDMAX Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case
> OCZ Extreme Gamer 850W PSU
> ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
> Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield
> VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler
> CORSAIR Dominator 4GB
> ATI X1950XTX + ATI X1950CF
> Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800
> 400Gb, 320Gb SATA Seagte Barracudas
> i-rocks e-SATA W/500Gb Seagate
> 1 Sony/NEC 7191S & 1 Sony/NEC 7190A
> Acer AL2216WBD
> Logitech G15 Gamer & Mx518
> Vista 64bit SP1/ XP Pro 32bit
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Re-formatting HD and re-installing everything
sbcwylie wrote:

> So-
>
> I reformat the HD from withing Vista, re-boot from the DVD and all the
> hardware will automatically source out their updated drivers?


You can't format a hard drive from within the operating system you are
trying to replace. You will need to boot from the Vista DVD and do the
clean install, including formatting, from there.

How to install Windows Vista - covers upgrade and clean install
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

There is no way anyone can answer whether Vista will see your drivers. You
should have the drivers available burned on a CD-R or USB thumb drive. See
below for general drivers information.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
formatting cd-rw skyman microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-24-2008 11:44
Article ID: 938684 When you interrupt the formatting operation before the formatting operation is complete, a DVD-RAM disc becomes unusable in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Installing Vista on a RAID drive -- question regarding formatting =?Utf-8?B?RGFlcnZvbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-05-2007 19:50
Installing on a RAID drive -- question about formatting =?Utf-8?B?RGFlcnZvbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 03-05-2007 19:05
formatting my hard drive after installing windows vista =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 01-15-2007 03:16




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:11.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120